Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 8:46:01 AM EDT
I am curious if any one else has noticed thier BUG continually shrinking as they get older?

I started carrying years ago with a G19 as my primary and a G26 as my BUG, this setup worked well and I liked the interchangability of magazines between primary and BUG.

After a few years I started to want something a little lighter and thinner (my front pocket looked like I was carrying a bible), so I bought a S&W .38 snub and carried it as my BUG for several years (Along with the G19 as a primary). I like the snub and never felt under armed with it as a BUG. I have always recomended the snub as a BUG to others on this forum and friends. I still think the snub is one of the ultimate BUGs on the market.

But two months ago I tried a kel-tec P3AT in .380 at the local shop. The price was right and dang is this thing light! The additional 2 rounds of ammo over the snub is a nice benefit as well. The .380 round is very close ballistically to the .38 out of a snub barrel. Before I even cleaned the kel-tec or did a "fluff and buff" I took it to the range to see what it would do. It went through 100 rounds of magtech and corbon with 0 malfunctions. So now I have been carrying this as a BUG with a G19 as a primary.

So over the course of 8 years of carrying a BUG in this country I have started with a G26 and ended with a Kel-tec that weighs a tenth of the G26 and is a third of the width of the G26. I am beginning to wonder when it will stop, another eight years and I might be carrying one of those NAA .22 revolvers!

I have to admit that as I get older, the reduced weight of my new BUG is welcome! So is anyone else downsizing their BUG as they get older? Man, getting old sucks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I am still hanging on. I usually don't carry a BUG unless/until I am going into a higher risk environment. when I do I carry a 4" compact 1911 and the BUG is a 3.5" 1911 (what the 4" replaced). I like the interchangability of mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually just went to a larger BUG. I have been using a Kel-Tec P-32 as my standard back up to my GLOCK 19 for the last four years, but I just bought a Kahr PM9. The Kahr is now my primary BUG, but I do still carry the P-32 sometimes. I even carry all three on occasion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
my bug is a beretta tomcat ss.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you thought about ditching a firearm as a BUG?

Fox Lab 5.3 OC Spray

I ditched my BUG for one
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Fox Lab 5.3 OC Spray

I ditched my BUG for one

Carrying OC as an additional measure is one thing, but I can't imagine replacing a gun with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
i have only been carrying for three years now but even i noticed tha same thing. i started with just a clock 36. then i got my snubbie 38 and i found myself tempted to pick up a 380 keltec at the shop yesterday. its an attractice option for a BUG - i dont think i would prefer the keltec to the .38 if i could only carry one gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fox Lab 5.3 OC Spray

I ditched my BUG for one

Carrying OC as an additional measure is one thing, but I can't imagine replacing a gun with it.

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fox Lab 5.3 OC Spray

I ditched my BUG for one

+1

+2

I already carry OC, I consider it an otpion to many situations, but not as a replacement for a BUG.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am curious if any one else has noticed thier BUG continually shrinking as they get older?

I started carrying years ago with a G19 as my primary and a G26 as my BUG, this setup worked well and I liked the interchangability of magazines between primary and BUG.

After a few years I started to want something a little lighter and thinner (my front pocket looked like I was carrying a bible), so I bought a S&W .38 snub and carried it as my BUG for several years (Along with the G19 as a primary). I like the snub and never felt under armed with it as a BUG. I have always recomended the snub as a BUG to others on this forum and friends. I still think the snub is one of the ultimate BUGs on the market.

But two months ago I tried a kel-tec P3AT in .380 at the local shop. The price was right and dang is this thing light! The additional 2 rounds of ammo over the snub is a nice benefit as well. The .380 round is very close ballistically to the .38 out of a snub barrel. Before I even cleaned the kel-tec or did a "fluff and buff" I took it to the range to see what it would do. It went through 100 rounds of magtech and corbon with 0 malfunctions. So now I have been carrying this as a BUG with a G19 as a primary.

So over the course of 8 years of carrying a BUG in this country I have started with a G26 and ended with a Kel-tec that weighs a tenth of the G26 and is a third of the width of the G26. I am beginning to wonder when it will stop, another eight years and I might be carrying one of those NAA .22 revolvershock.gif!

I have to admit that as I get older, the reduced weight of my new BUG is welcome! So is anyone else downsizing their BUG as they get older? Man, getting old sucks!

I think the problem is that you may be getting complacent.  Nothing's happened, so why go through all the effort and discomfort of carrying a gun and BUG.  I felt this way too, till one night something happened, and all I had on me was my 5shot.  It all worked out, but boy was I nervous.  I decided to carry my Glock 26 from then on.  Maybe you should forget the 2nd gun and just go with one decent carry piece.   A Jframe with a strip loader.  A 6 shot snubby.  A medium .380 if you can find one.  For me, I wouldn't trust a KT as my only gun.  Walter PPK/S in .380, Sig .380.  I WISH that the KT .380 were reliable.  What a nice piece that would be.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The back up is a Colt Mustang Pocketlight Plus-II.  Same manual of arms as the primary.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So over the course of 8 years of carrying a BUG in this country I have started with a G26 and ended with a Kel-tec that weighs a tenth of the G26 and is a third of the width of the G26. I am beginning to wonder when it will stop, another eight years and I might be carrying one of those NAA .22 revolvers!

I think the problem is that you may be getting complacent.  Nothing's happened, so why go through all the effort and discomfort of carrying a gun and BUG.  I felt this way too, till one night something happened, and all I had on me was my 5shot.  It all worked out, but boy was I nervous.  I decided to carry my Glock 26 from then on.  Maybe you should forget the 2nd gun and just go with one decent carry piece.   A Jframe with a strip loader.  A 6 shot snubby.  A medium .380 if you can find one.  For me, I wouldn't trust a KT as my only gun.  Walter PPK/S in .380, Sig .380.  I WISH that the KT .380 were reliable.  What a nice piece that would be.

Just to be clear, the KT .380 is backing up my G19. Out of all of the pistols mentioned in my original post, all of them were used to back up my primary G19. I was commenting on how it is nice to save weight as I get older and in doing so I find my BUG to be getting smaller.

I have heard mixed reviews about the KT .380, Mine has been very reliable and came that way from the factory.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#12]
My BUG is the same as my primary weapon.
I carry 2 glock 19's all the time. It makes transition from one to the other quite easy.
I also sometimes carry a SW 340pd in a pocket holster that serves s a BUG to my two 19's.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Tomb raider, eh?  Do you shoot with both hands simultaneously?  I know my training level is too low to be any good at shooting with both hands...

Just to clear up, I do carry a primary handgun.  I got rid of my BUG couple months ago, as I saw no need to bulk up my already full pockets.  If ever I carry a backup, it's a multi-talented S&W .44 in a shoulder holster (for serious outdoor activities and a few times in the winter I guess)

Big enough for some serious beasts other than men.

Quoted:
My BUG is the same as my primary weapon.
I carry 2 glock 19's all the time. It makes transition from one to the other quite easy.
I also sometimes carry a SW 340pd in a pocket holster that serves s a BUG to my two 19's.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Graziani

No i don't shoot with both weapons at the same time
I do have one weapon available for each hand as one really never knows under what circumstances one may need their weapon.
I train shooting both right and left handed. I am better with my right hand compared to my left but am confident that if i had to shoot lefty i would make solid hits. I attempt to make it to the range once a week to train. If you carry a BUG for the weak hand you need to really train to get proficient with it.

Everyone needs to come to terms with the threat levels they face on a daily basis and choose what they feel they MIGHT need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top