Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 5:49:03 PM EDT
I installed a drop in short trigger on my Kimber Stainless Target II chambered in 10mm on Friday. I took it out today to try out how the new trigger felt. I was just in the mood for plinking so I had  my.22 slide on it. about the second mag in it released a 3-4 shot string. I stopped firing and checked the gun over and nothing appeared wrong so I went back to shooting. I shot about 3-4 more mags then it started going auto again. I was starting to think the firing pin might be sticking so I put the 10mm slide back on and proceeded to shoot a burst in 10mm. What i noticed is that when it would burst was the hammer would always stop in the dropped position on a live round.

My question is how do I fix this and what does the overtravel screw on the trigger do?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
what trigger did you install?

does you trigger have enough pre-travel?

the over-travel screw is adjusted to a point where the sear clears the hammer hooks and the 1/2 cock notch.  a little more over-travel is better than too little over-travel.

check to see that you didn't mess up your sear spring when you re-assembled it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I installed a drop in short trigger on my Kimber Stainless Target II chambered in 10mm on Friday. I took it out today to try out how the new trigger felt. I was just in the mood for plinking so I had  my.22 slide on it. about the second mag in it released a 3-4 shot string. I stopped firing and checked the gun over and nothing appeared wrong so I went back to shooting. I shot about 3-4 more mags then it started going auto again. I was starting to think the firing pin might be sticking so I put the 10mm slide back on and proceeded to shoot a burst in 10mm. What i noticed is that when it would burst was the hammer would always stop in the dropped position on a live round.

My question is how do I fix this and what does the overtravel screw on the trigger do?

Thanks in advance

1911 and "drop in" are often not compatible. The overtravel screw keeps the trigger from traveling far after the the shot breaks.

A gunsmith is your best bet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The disconnector maybe?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Put the original trigger back in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=717974

This is the trigger I used. I will disassemble and make sure everything looks ok inside.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=717974

This is the trigger I used. I will disassemble and make sure everything looks ok inside.

How will you know what you're looking for?   Just put the original trigger back in for now, and seek the help of a professional to install the new trigger.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
With Kimbers, the usual cause is excessive trigger over-travel.
Trigger over-travel is limited by either:
The trigger over-travel screw stopping against the mag catch, or
the rear of the trigger bow stopping against the lower angled surface of the grip safety arm.
Kimber grip safeties are over-cut in this area. If the trigger over-travel screw is maladjusted,
the trigger can move so far to the rear, as to unseat the sear spring from either/or the sear
or the disconnector.
Beware the 'authority' that recommends removing and discarding the over-travel screw.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I would not suggest taking it to the range again until you get it figured out... lest you you want to be a guest of the government for 10 years...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the same problem with a Kimber once. Removing the over travel screw is what cause it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#13]
full-auto 10mm gets expensive real quick...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#14]
1911s ain't AR15s.   Drop-in is a lie.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
With Kimbers, the usual cause is excessive trigger over-travel.
Trigger over-travel is limited by either:
The trigger over-travel screw stopping against the mag catch, or
the rear of the trigger bow stopping against the lower angled surface of the grip safety arm.
Kimber grip safeties are over-cut in this area. If the trigger over-travel screw is maladjusted,
the trigger can move so far to the rear, as to unseat the sear spring from either/or the sear
or the disconnector.
Beware the 'authority' that recommends removing and discarding the over-travel screw.

Thank you for this info. I adjusted in the over-travel screw a couple more turns while making sure the trigger would still disengage the sear. Took it back out today and put a hundred rounds through it with no burst fires. I will shoot it a few more times before I am sure its fixed, but everything is looking up.

I know it wasn't exactly a drop in trigger but with a few minutes worth of work from a hone its pretty much a drop in trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top