Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 6:50:16 PM EDT
From the best I can tell I just paid $275 for a 1962 National Match Springfield Armory rework of a older Colt. This pistol has the Micro rear sight, tall ramped front sight, Colt slide, NM 7267718 barrel bushing, NM 7790313 barrel, and frame marked "UNITED STATES PROPERTY   M1911 A1 U.S. ARMY". Frame also has  S A on right side with NM below on the trigger guard and on the left side has FJA above mag release. This pistol looks to be in 85% NRA shape and barrel, frame, and slide are all same serial number in the 98XXXX range. The wood grips are still sharp and the front strap of the grip is checkerd also. I need to get a barrel wrench as you can not field strip this weapon with your bare hands as everything is VERY tight. I wished I could post pics but I do not have a photo. So should I shoot this weapon or just clean it up and pack it away?  Thanks........Trapfan
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it.

Pics would be nice, too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I got it cheap I guess because the guy did not know what he had. I gave him my 2005 Blue Book Of Gun Values and told him to look it up and give me a price he had to get out of the weapon. His dad passed away and he was cleaning house of the 40 or so pistols he was left by his dad. The story was his dad had this weapon while in service and then shot Camp Perry with it. I know if it was my late dads weapon I would have had to been starving to have sold it. He said since it was not "orginal" and had the rear sight replaced he thought $275 for that old of a pistol was fair. I was thinking of getting a letter from Colt about the orgins of this pistol but they want about $75 for the paperwork. Any way I am very happy it has found a good home in one of my Liberty safes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
You are one of those guys that we read about and become instantly jealous!!

Good for you!!

Did the guy have any other guns that were interesting?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:01:18 AM EDT
[#5]
thats one hell of a great buy. Congrats on the new pistol
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:14:32 AM EDT
[#6]
He also had two Colt .32 Auto, and a Colt .25 Auto but they were a little on the "ruff" side. I liked the S&W 28-2 he had but I was not fast on the draw and somebody else got that. Some stuff he had was junk but some of it was nice.......Good thing I got the deal that I did when I did.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:53:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey folks while on the subject of my new found 1911A1.......How much do you think this weapon is worth? I might just buy a new SA Loaded to shoot if this Colt 1911A1 is rare. One site I found says that only 172 pistols were sold by the DCM after the 1962 National Matchs. Or would you just shoot it and enjoy a bit of history?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Just shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top