Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:51:54 PM EDT
Mine and my buddy have 12 rounders that hold 13.  Does anyone else have mags that do that?  Or are we lucky?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine barely hold 12.  Sometimes when they stack oddly, I only get 11 in.  If this happens to anyone, unload and reload the mag because it usually causes a jam.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
My USPf 45 12 rnd mags will only hold 12.

However, my USPc .40 12 round mags will hold 13, but they will not seat in the pistol with the slide forward.  So 12 it is.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Best way to wear out a mag spring ~~

Functioning / reliability may also be a factor
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the Mag always hold 13 rounds, or is it because of use? Storing rounds in your mag obviously kills the tension in the spring. Will it chamber a round properly with 13 in the mag?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure seems obvious to a lot of people, but it's untrue that storage weakens springs. They are weakened by the action of compressing and decompressing. Overcompressing will of course weaken them faster.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one magazine that I was able to stuff 13 rounds in, and I could never get it to any other time that  I loaded it.  It would only seat in the pistol with the slide locked back, so it was worthless.  On a related note I have some beretta mags that aren't factory that hold and feed 16 rds of 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Not HK but my Glock .357Sig mags hold a extra round
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you take apart your magazines and forget to put something back?  

There is a little "y" piece that goes inside that pushes the baseplate tabs into the sides of the magazine.  When I took that out of my HK .40 mag I got a +1 round count.  13 in 12rd mags, 11 in 10rd mags.  Not really a good idea.  One wrong bump and it'll dump your rounds out the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never taken apart my Mags and I can fit 11 rounds in two of my 10 rounders for my USP .40 compact. It takes incredible force to get them in the gun though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Did the Mag always hold 13 rounds, or is it because of use? Storing rounds in your mag obviously kills the tension in the spring. Will it chamber a round properly with 13 in the mag?

It always did,  it's functioned 100%.  It will feed good and it loads into the pistol easily with one in the pipe and 13 in the mag.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It always did,  it's functioned 100%.  It will feed good and it loads into the pistol easily with one in the pipe and 13 in the mag.

That's pretty freaking weird man, I've never heard of anything like that, I know it may seem obvious but are they HK factory mags? I can get 31 into some of my AR mags, but I never do it because my gun gets mad at me when I try to load the damn thing, something about making it look bad or something.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty freaking weird man, I've never heard of anything like that, I know it may seem obvious but are they HK factory mags? I can get 31 into some of my AR mags, but I never do it because my gun gets mad at me when I try to load the damn thing, something about making it look bad or something.

They are factory mags.  My buddy and I bought them from the same gun shop,  I guess we're lucky.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Would you mind taking them apart and taking some measurements/pics for the rest of us to compare our own mags to? If I can make such a modification myself without hurting reliability i'd be all over it. Maybe pics with these mags components next to a non-freaky one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Would you mind taking them apart and taking some measurements/pics for the rest of us to compare our own mags to? If I can make such a modification myself without hurting reliability i'd be all over it. Maybe pics with these mags components next to a non-freaky one.

It's just a regular factory 12 round mag.  I don't have a micrometer so it would defeat the purpose of trying to measure it with a lesser instrument.

It just barely squeezes the last round in,  but it feeds reliably.  I bet if you guys just press hard like a real man when you load the last round,  you could squeeze an extra round in.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I think my shooting bench would collapse before I got #13 in a 12rd magazine.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I have taken my 13 round 9mm compact mags apart.  Actually held the spring in with finger pressure and loaded the mag to see if you could get more rounds in.  On the 13 rounds the long finger on the rear of the follower is all the way to the bottom of the mag body with 13 rounds in.  So. the only way to get more rounds in would be to trim that long finger some to make more room for spring compression.  The .40 and 9mm also use the same follower so it isn't a case of a wrong part.  My best guess would be that your followers just have a tiny bit shorter rear leg.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top