Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2007 3:06:03 PM EDT

I had an Uncle Mike's kydex IWB holster laying around I bought last year and didn't like.  I was getting ready to put it on the EE when I decided to try a little project.  Total cost was $0, since I already had the holster and assorted nuts & bolts in the garage.

First I removed the belt keepers which were screwed onto the holster itself.  Then I positioned the holster where it felt most comfortable and marked the spots where the screw-holes were on the center console of the car.  I drilled two holes and then screwed in two short screws.  I had to flex the holster significantly to get the screwdriver in the correct position, but in a few minutes I was done.

Once I slid the weapon in for the first time, I noticed two problems.

1)  I couldn't comfortably get the fingers of my right hand between the pistol and the console.  The space was simply too narrow.

2)  The rear sight and back of the frame hit the underside of the dash when I drew the pistol.  

Neither of these problems completely prevented me from drawing, but they took time to get around.  So, I removed the holster again and drilled a third hole, rotating the holster down to avoid the underside of the dash.  I also mounted a pair of 1/4" nuts on the screws between the holster and the console, giving me a wider corridor to slide my hand around the pistol grip.  Finally, I removed one of the adjustment screws on the bottom of the holster and drilled a long drywall screw through into the console instead.  This pushed the bottom of the holster towards the console, further widening the space up top for my hand.  You can see the white drywall screw in the top picture.

This pic shows the two nuts acting as spacers, and the drywall screw which helps angle the top of the holster away from the console.

The whole project took less than an hour and I am one of those guys who barely knows a hammer from a screwdriver.  A few test draws left me very comfortable that I can draw much more quickly from the driver's seat with this holster than from my hip holster, or the center console compartment I've been using up until now.

It isn't pretty, but I am happy with the way this turned out.

Link Posted: 3/22/2007 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest painting it to make it more hidden when your gun isn't in it.  Para cord will hide those nuts too.

Good work.

Link Posted: 3/24/2007 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice work.  But do you really want yer gun in plain view like that???  I prefer under the seat or in center console........

Link Posted: 3/29/2007 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]

That's my carry weapon. so as I climb into the car I'll move it from my hip holster to the car holster, and back again when I step out of the vehicle.  The only time it will be in that holster is when I am in the driver's seat.  I'll put a cloth or something over the holster at night as well in case anyone is looking inside my vehicle.

Link Posted: 3/29/2007 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Way to be creative and not let something go to waste. I'm trying to recall which kydex holster maker produces a universal vehicla mount that their holsters attach to. Basically a flat arm that mounts to the vehicle on one end, holds the holster on the other, with a joint in the middle to position just right.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Good solution!  Also, if you need another option, G-Code holsters has a very impressive set up that allows you to mount a disc anywhere like car, bed, under desk, etc. and swap the entire holster from place to place so you never have to unholster the weapon.  I've seen this first hand and it's a nice set up.  Check out G-Code Holsters for the mounting disc and then back track there for the other holster options.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
well im too young to CCW in florida , but i know you can have the gun in your car, is this rig considered CCW?? or am i better off just keeping it locked in the glove??
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well im too young to CCW in florida , but i know you can have the gun in your car, is this rig considered CCW?? or am i better off just keeping it locked in the glove??

I wouldn't put it in if I were you unless you plan on locking it in the glove box every time you enter or exit the vehicle.  Forgetting even just once and you risk a theft, and since you can't take it with you you are more likely to accidentally leave it in the holster.

Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 4/7/2007 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#9]
For anyone else trying something like this...
Get some of that thick 'foam' like double sticky tape and use small strips to try out various locations and angles.

This will save you from drilling more than the minimum number of holes in your vehicle to get everything right

Nice idea!
I like it!
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not a big fan of constant unholstering and re-holstering a gun that has one in the chamber....
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm not a big fan of constant unholstering and re-holstering a gun that has one in the chamber....

Thats the nice thing about the G-Code set up I mentioned earlier, no unholstering.  The gun stays in the holster and the holster disconnects from the mount, both the belt mount as well as the surface mount in the car. It's very easy, fast and sturdy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm considering something similar. I have a Lock Box that secures to the frame of the seat so I can lock my gun up should I need to leave it in the car for a while. However sometimes I think it would be nice to have the holster. However, I have found that just removing my holster and gun as a unit and putting it in the center console works pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Avenge...

I do like your rig and would like to do the same thing.

But, as a fellow Floridian, it seems to me that Florida law would consider that as open carry almost like having the gun lying on the seat next to you.

My understanding of the FL law is that in the car the gun must not be "readily accessible for immediate use" and must be "securely encased". Glove compartment, snapped in a holster, zippered case, etc. I don't believe having a CCW negates these requirements.

Maybe if you just had a thumb strap over the gun it would suffice.

Anyway, good idea. Maybe you could tweak a bit to make sure it's legal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
But, as a fellow Floridian, it seems to me that Florida law would consider that as open carry almost like having the gun lying on the seat next to you.

My understanding of the FL law is that in the car the gun must not be "readily accessible for immediate use" and must be "securely encased". Glove compartment, snapped in a holster, zippered case, etc. I don't believe having a CCW negates these requirements.

Maybe if you just had a thumb strap over the gun it would suffice.

Anyway, good idea. Maybe you could tweak a bit to make sure it's legal.

I just got my Flordia non-resident CCW. I didn't read the law the same way you did. It just dosen't make sense that with a CCW you would only be allowed to carry it out of reach and unloaded. The requirements you are talking about are in relation to Peacable Journey Laws, and just general transport of weapons.

The whole point of a CCW is to have a loaded gun "readily" accessiable at ALL times.

Bob
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Follow the rule that say "keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot" and you'll be ok

Cool Idea dude, Wish I had though of it
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If yopu put it there your in violation of FLoridas laws.

If its in your vehicle it must be concealed and securely encased. Thats setup violates both
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 3:55:59 AM EDT
[#17]
VTBOB...

Under Florida CCW law, you certainly can carry a loaded hangun in your car if it is CONCEALED on your body or otherwise concealed and secure somewhere in the car.
It can't be out in the open and readily accessible.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#18]
What do you tell the cop who has your driver's license in his hand while he looks in your car window for any signs of unlawful activity?
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What do you tell the cop who has your driver's license in his hand while he looks in your car window for any signs of unlawful activity?

In the unlikely event I am pulled over or drive into a DUI checkpoint I will discreetly put the weapon in the center console compartment before the officer approaches the vehicle.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#20]
i found this gem on desantis website, though i doubt it is legal anywhere?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the unlikely event I am pulled over or drive into a DUI checkpoint I will discreetly put the weapon in the center console compartment before the officer approaches the vehicle.

That is without a doubt, one of the stupidest fucking things I have heard here yet...good thinking
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I will tell you that set up is 100% illegal in Ohio.

It's either in a closed container with a latch (though not necessarily locked) or concealed on your person in a holster for you to avoid a trip to the county jail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top