Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 10:14:41 AM EDT
Question, what's the easiest/cheapest way to ship a pistol to an 01FFL out of state?

I've shipped plenty of long arms, but never a pistol and I know they have to go next-day. What's my best route??

TIA
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are not a FFL, you basicly have two choices:  UPS or FedEx.  Both companies' policies require that the shipper be at least an 03 FFL but they don't always ask.  FedEx must go Next Dat early AM deliverly, while UPS only requires Next Day Air.  Neither are cheap.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, UPS will only take pistols... and I think firearms in general... from an FFL.  

You'll probably end up having to go to an FFL and have him ship it.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm an 03 FFL, so no problem there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#4]
use Fedex online, print up your own label  , pack it up and drop it off. You save 10% doing it on-line and there is no hassel when you take it in. They say thanks and you leave. never once have they ever  asked what's inside. If they ever do , it's sporting goods. Short ,sweet and simple.

J
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Actually, UPS will only take pistols... and I think firearms in general... from an FFL.  

You'll probably end up having to go to an FFL and have him ship it.  

the ATF  clearly states a non-licensee can ship a firearm to an FFL as long as you do not use USPS. You may also ship your own guns to yourself (i.e. hunting trip out of state) and out for repair.

J
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I do believe that an FFL holder can ship even handguns USPS to another FFL.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FedEx charged me $78 to ship a handgun from Vegas to Alaska a few months ago.

well duh , you're shipping a pistol to god's country. try staying  in the local 48 and you'll spend less.

J
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#10]
An 03 C&R FFL cannot ship handguns through the USPS like an 01 FFL (dealer) can.  The cheapest way is to have your dealer send it to another 01 FFL dealer via USPS PM which will run about $10 plus insurance plus any fee your dealer charges you, if any.  The USPS can only be used to ship handguns between dealers or between manufacturers and dealers, and the 03 C&R is for collectors, so you cannot use USPS for handgun shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top