Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2006 10:42:12 AM EDT
Linky

(Richland County) - Richland County deputies say a home invasion suspect was killed after an incident early Wednesday morning.

Investigators say it all began when the suspects reportedly began spying on a group of men who were out playing pool. The suspects then followed the men home. The homeowner was dropped off at his house, and his friends left the scene.

"Five minutes after they left somebody kicked in the door. They were hollering 'Richland County, Richland County,' said Richard--the homeowner who wishes to go by only his first name.

Richard says he spent a split second wondering why sheriffs deputies were breaking into his home. It didn't take long for him to realize, though, that it was robbers--not cops--in his house.

"When I came out of the bathroom and around the curve, they had guns in my face, already drawn," Richard said.

The victim says he gave the suspects the money they demanded, but the suspects told him that wasn't enough. Deputies say the suspects forced Richard to trick his friends into coming back to the house.

"I called my partner Ray and said 'Come back. I'm going to see my girlfriend but my car won't work. I need a boost," Richard said.

He says thankfully his friends suspected he needed more help than that. When they returned, one was armed and was able to shoot and kill 29-year-old Jevis Rogers.

No charges will be filed against that friend, but authorities are still looking for the second robbery suspect who ran.

Anyone with information should call Crimestoppers at 1-888-559-TIPS or e-mail a tip to the Crimestoppers website.

Tony Santaella, New Media Manager
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Linky

(Richland County) - Richland County deputies say a home invasion suspect was killed after an incident early Wednesday morning.

Investigators say it all began when the suspects reportedly began spying on a group of men who were out playing pool. The suspects then followed the men home. The homeowner was dropped off at his house, and his friends left the scene.

"Five minutes after they left somebody kicked in the door. They were hollering 'Richland County, Richland County,' said Richard--the homeowner who wishes to go by only his first name.

Richard says he spent a split second wondering why sheriffs deputies were breaking into his home. It didn't take long for him to realize, though, that it was robbers--not cops--in his house.

"When I came out of the bathroom and around the curve, they had guns in my face, already drawn," Richard said.

The victim says he gave the suspects the money they demanded, but the suspects told him that wasn't enough. Deputies say the suspects forced Richard to trick his friends into coming back to the house.

"I called my partner Ray and said 'Come back. I'm going to see my girlfriend but my car won't work. I need a boost," Richard said.

He says thankfully his friends suspected he needed more help than that. When they returned, one was armed and was able to shoot and kill 29-year-old Jevis Rogers.

No charges will be filed against that friend, but authorities are still looking for the second robbery suspect who ran.

Anyone with information should call Crimestoppers at 1-888-559-TIPS or e-mail a tip to the Crimestoppers website.

Tony Santaella, New Media Manager

I love happy endings!
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if "I need a boost" was his code phrase to his buddies
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a common term, but see the post above your's again...
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is a common term, but see the post above your's again...

I tell people that "I need a jump" if that's what I need. Entirely possible that they had a code phrase worked out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#6]
ya gotta love happy endings!
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
"Jevis"?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
That man has good friends.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Or maybe they knew he didn't have a girlfriend, 'cause if he did, she wouldn't have allowed him a night out playing pool with his buddies.

Also, glad things worked out for the guy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it just me or does the concept of "home invasions" just scare the shit out of you?  You're setting at home watching TV, then BOOM!!!!!! and some JBTs kick in your door or attack you when you answer your door. This shit is terrorism at its finest.

Overlay on top of this the concept of no-knock warrants and JBTs posing as police officers and you have a sorry state of affairs. I hate the concept of pulling "Guard Duty" at my own home, but I find myself getting closer to this every day.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is it just me or does the concept of "home invasions" just scare the shit out of you?  You're setting at home watching TV, then BOOM!!!!!! and some JBTs kick in your door or attack you when you answer your door. This shit is terrorism at its finest.

Overlay on top of this the concept of no-knock warrants and JBTs posing as police officers and you have a sorry state of affairs. I hate the concept of pulling "Guard Duty" at my own home, but I find myself getting closer to this every day.

Discuss.

how did you get the idea that the police did the invasion?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discuss.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

I don't think he realizes that "JBT" is a derogatory term for police officer. He does make a good point about no-knock warrants though. What if a SWAT team gets the wrong address or a drug dealer has the same name as you and they really are cops serving a no-knock warrant? You're screwed either way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discuss.

Sorry for the slip. I was using JBT more generically. I did not mean to imply cops by the use of JBT. What if instead some common street THUGS wearing jack boots kick in your door or attach you when you answer your door?
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#14]
"Shoot them all.  The .Gov will know his own."

The modern version of "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eis." — “Kill them all, the Lord will recognise His own.”
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
This is part of the reason I had to move to the mountains. Drawing down three times in front of my house is more than I care to deal with. Eventually I was going to shoot someone, then I would have to hire a lawyer, court, etc., etc.

Now I have ana cre with a fence around it, remote gate opener, 2 German Shepards (great dogs, I don't need a door bell I have a dog bell.)

Never want to have to shoot someone, that would just suck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Discuss.

That's exactly why you should be wearing your CCW on you at all times, even at home sitting on the pot or watching the tube.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Now THOSE are friends.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Friends help you move.

Good friends help you kill home-invading scumbags.

GREAT friends help you shoot,  bring shovels and help you dig, and know how to shut up.

Best friends know where the bodies are buried because they helped you to bury them.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad it turned out well for the good guys.

I must say, that this is probably one of my biggest fears concerning the use of my firearms on people.  You don't want to just shoot, since it may very well be the PD and they got the wrong house.  We all know how that would end.  But hesitation may very well get you the exact same thing, dead.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I must say, that this is probably one of my biggest fears concerning the use of my firearms on people.  You don't want to just shoot, since it may very well be the PD and they got the wrong house.  We all know how that would end.  But hesitation may very well get you the exact same thing, dead.

Remeber the case of the man from S Fl earlier this year, who had one cop shining a light into his eyes through the french doors on his back porch while another was banging on the door? He shot the guy through the door center mass, and was acquitted.

I certainly don't condone shooting cops in any way, shape, or form, unless there is complete justification, as there was in that case. I my door is kicked in, I will respond with deadly force. I am not wanted, am not a felon, and do nothing illegal, therefore I have absolutely no reason to believe I am going to be raided.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remeber the case of the man from S Fl earlier this year, who had one cop shining a light into his eyes through the french doors on his back porch while another was banging on the door? He shot the guy through the door center mass, and was acquitted.

I certainly don't condone shooting cops in any way, shape, or form, unless there is complete justification, as there was in that case. I my door is kicked in, I will respond with deadly force. I am not wanted, am not a felon, and do nothing illegal, therefore I have absolutely no reason to believe I am going to be raided.

I'm not worried about being convicted so much as been shot dead by the police before the misunderstanding is cleared up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not worried about being convicted so much as been shot dead by the police before the misunderstanding is cleared up.

That is exactly my fear.  I agree with vanilla_gorilla on the fact that I am not wanted so they shouldn't be there in the first place.  I don't worry about the court battle.  I worry about ending up in a bag.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly my fear.  I agree with vanilla_gorilla on the fact that I am not wanted so they shouldn't be there in the first place.  I don't worry about the court battle.  I worry about ending up in a bag.

Don't worry about that. If that's the case, you're screwed no matter what.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#24]
That happened in Dayton OH a few years back. Police kicked in the wrong door and the kid on the couch was handling what looked like a weapon and was shot dead. His mom and neighbors tried to sue say what a good innocent kid he was but dead is dead.

Also on a different note, the way I heard it was "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out!"

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top