Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2002 6:05:14 AM EDT
I have decided that it is time for my HP to get a new finish.  I will be adding a few new parts and giving it a nice tune-up.  Norrell Moly Resin will be my choice finish.  I have been carefully blending and removing sharp edges to give it a little "melted" look.  I will be doing the frame and its parts an olive drab color.  It will be sand blasted first to assure a nice matte look and hide small imperfections.  The slide is also having the edges broken and sharp corners removed. Here I will be using a matte black finish.  I will also be doing a Sig 228 with the same colors.  I am sure this two tone fad will pass, but they look good now.  
I have been quite pleased using this finish.  I did about half a dozen guns over ten years ago and they all still look great.  M1 carbine, Ruger Super Blackhawk, 380 Pony, Ruger Mk II, .45 Auto and 38 Off Duty.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Its really rewarding when it all goes back together and looks good too. I doubt if two tone finishes will ever go out of style. I used to enjoy working with stainless guns, polishing, glass beading, sand blasting and even trying several ways to achieve a classy looking brushed finish. Also learning about how they come apart and go back together in the process. Not being familiar with that moly resin, where do you find it? I think I would update my FEG copy of the HP. Oh no! Another project!
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Anothergene I found it at Norrell Arms.  If you do a search you will find it sold on the web.  It comes with a small air gun and can of air in your choice of colors.  I am glad to hear that someone thinks the two tones will be popular for some time.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! On my list of things to do.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Just finished doing a pistol slide with the moly resin and it is great.  This one is flat black and looks perfect over the sand blasted slide.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 9-page Word document that Norrell sent me... it contains price lists, application instructions, and troubleshooting.  It's about a year old, but let me know if you want it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Ken_mays may I get a copy of that?  I would like to see what he recommends as an alternative to cans of compressed air for the spray gun.  Also, if he has any tips and tricks.  Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top