Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2009 7:34:19 PM EDT
I am considering making some modifications to my 23 and I need some opinions from you guys since my wife's doesn't help.
>I shoot lefty and am going through the LE process, I have been told that my bad habits aren't very safe or time effective and it was recommended to either modify or change habits.
The problem is that after I expend all rounds and change mags I slightly curl my middle finger to drop the mag for a reload, and after reload I curl my index finger up to release the slide, this is the problem because my hand is curled so much that it creates a weak grip on the firearm and in a stressful situation it could be very possible to drop it. (I have been told to change that habit and rack regardless). However in the meantime I was thinking of an extended slide release in order to minimize the index finger curl. Have see extended mag release but don't think I need it as much. Also what are the advantages/disadvantages to a ported barrel? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am considering making some modifications to my 23 and I need some opinions from you guys ...
>I shoot lefty and am going through the LE process, I have been told that my bad habits aren't very safe or time effective and it was recommended to either modify or change habits.
The problem is that after I expend all rounds and change mags I slightly curl my middle finger to drop the mag for a reload, and after reload I curl my index finger up to release the slide, this is the problem because my hand is curled so much that it creates a weak grip on the firearm and in a stressful situation it could be very possible to drop it. (I have been told to change that habit and rack regardless). However in the meantime I was thinking of an extended slide release in order to minimize the index finger curl. Have see extended mag release but don't think I need it as much. Also what are the advantages/disadvantages to a ported barrel? Thanks!

No need for the ported barrel if this will be for a duty gun. It will really be up to the Dept. armorer/Dept. policy. I shoot lefty and am in LE. I use the middle finger as well to discharge an empty mag and it hasnt been an issue with quals, but I would recommend you practice the overhand racking of the slide (unloaded of course) until it feels comfortable. What your doing isn't UNsafe but will not be time effective in regards to the slide release in case the stock or extended one doesn't release the slide under pressure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The extended slide release would probably make a big difference for you. I just put the extended Glock 34 slide release on my 17 and the difference is night and day. I think the stock slide release is one of the very, very (very) few things that Glock did NOT get right the first time around.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I would NOT install any aftermarket extended slide stop lever. If you must have an extended slide stop lever, only use the newer factory Glock piece.

I would also not recommend a ported barrel on any carry pistol. Ported pistols tend to blast powder & metal debris directly towards your face/eyes. Not a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would NOT install any aftermarket extended slide stop lever. If you must have an extended slide stop lever, only use the newer factory Glock piece.

I would also not recommend a ported barrel on any carry pistol. Ported pistols tend to blast powder & metal debris directly towards your face/eyes. Not a good thing.

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I have had ported Glocks I never got power or metal debris blasted into my face.  The only issue I had was in dim or dark lights the flash from the ports would make me see spots or blind me and blackening of the front sight.  "Metal debris" what kind of ammo are you shooting???
But OP i would not recommend ported for carry use.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
why do you need the slide release? You should be releasing the slide by pulling back on it with a loaded mag in the gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am considering making some modifications to my 23 and I need some opinions from you guys since my wife's doesn't help.

I would heed that advice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would heed that advice.

+1

Myself...I change my grip slightly to use a thumb on the mag release and then pull back on the slide...
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I have had ported Glocks I never got power or metal debris blasted into my face.  The only issue I had was in dim or dark lights the flash from the ports would make me see spots or blind me and blackening of the front sight.  "Metal debris" what kind of ammo are you shooting???
But OP i would not recommend ported for carry use.

Isnt Copper still considered a "Metal"???

Copper shavings inserting themselves into your face & eyes @ high velocity when shooting from a position of retention (eg: Position 2 of the 4 position draw-stroke), tends to screw things up a bit.

I almost forgot.... I would also recommend the Vickers Extended magazine release. I run one on my G19, and I love it.

You may also want to consider holding off on dropping anymore money on your current pistol, and wait until Glock releases their new Gen 4 G22 at the Shot Show right after the first of the year.... Reversible magazine release, modular/interchangeble frame backstraps. Should be a winner.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the slide release is a good mod, the mag, NA......  I had a 3.5 trigger in my 23, couldnt tell a diff.....porting. dont need...  I pretty much like everything about glocks other than the slide release..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#11]

From another LEO... Stop with the slide release and use it only for a slide lock.. Utilize the slide when charging the weapon.. Stressful situations may cause you to drop the gun the way your currently using it.. Its also perfectly normal to miss the slide stop all together to release the slide while "jacked up". Your malfunction drills will all be done by working the slide.. Its just a good habit to get into..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top