Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2009 2:10:09 PM EDT
1) What's the minimum amount of "DEFENSIVE" you would recommend keeping?  By "DEFENSIVE" I mean the good stuff, not plinking ammo.

2) How much "DEFENSIVE" ammo do you usually keep on hand?    

The reason I ask the two questions is because I know some of you keep thousands of rounds on hand but wouldn't necessarily recommend that to others.  I'm trying to figure out just how much ammo I should have on hand.  Thanks!

J
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
For me....three mags full of PD ammo for any pistol that has that duty assigned.  That means one in the gun and two in the mag pouch.  I cycle it about once or twice a year.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
on me when I go out
for 1911 3 extra
xd40 2 extra mags

in the house usually a 100 rounds of defense ammo or factory ammo, as crappy as it is when the shtf all you need is a bang. I never count on reloads for defense. but if the factory ammo runs out for some reason then its onto the reloads.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
1) What's the minimum amount of "DEFENSIVE" you would recommend keeping?  By "DEFENSIVE" I mean the good stuff, not plinking ammo.

No less than 1000 rounds, but if you are comfortable with less than that that's cool, too.

2) How much "DEFENSIVE" ammo do you usually keep on hand?

Between 5,000 - 7,000 rounds.

The reason I ask the two questions is because I know some of you keep thousands of rounds on hand but wouldn't necessarily recommend that to others.  I'm trying to figure out just how much ammo I should have on hand.

I suppose that 100 is a doable minimum, but not what I'd be comfortable with.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry my XD9 with just one mag, which is 13+1.

In my house, I have another couple of mags with defensive ammo, and maybe a box or two in the closet.  I don't feel a need to keep much on hand, honestly.

If the shit were to REALLY hit the fan, I'm okay with the idea of switching to my cheapo FMJ ammo . . . .
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Minimum for me would be 200 rounds for each pistol

2.  I currently have 800 rounds for my XD9SC, PF9 and 400 for the 1911.

I usually pick up a box or two when I see a good deal and i'm buying other ammo from the place whether it be in a store or online.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
For handgun ammo, A box, maybe two for each caliber.

I can't think of any situation that would require more than 100 rounds of ammo where I'm not either A) dead, B) transitioned to a Rifle, or C) both.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I understand the logic of having 3 magazines worth.  I get the 100 rds (two boxes) position as well.  However, I think keeping thousands of rounds is a 'want' and not a 'need'.  I have quite a bit of SD ammo at the moment because I wasn't sure if I could get HST and Ranger ammo for the price I was paying again.  Don't see that it has any basis in a strategic vision of resource allocation based on need though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 500+ rounds of Gold Dot 9mm, and 150 rounds of 45ACP Ranger.  

I got the Gold Dots at $20 per 50...so I stocked up while the sweet prices lasted.  I paid $33 for the Ranger in boxes of 50, and I don't even own a 45ACP caliber weapon.  (I will soon though)
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have none in reserve right now, FMJ only. All that I have left is currently loaded in the magazine of my carry gun. I really need to go out and pick up an extra box of gold dots!
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I keep 1k of good JHP in each of my major calibers (1.1k of 9mm, 1k of 45 currently).  I don't think that's necessary though, but I stocked up when things were cheaper and easier to find.  

True minimum would probably be 1 mags worth.  In all reality, you're unlikely to need any more than that.  Think of the guys who went through Katrina, etc - not a single shot fired.  

But having more ammo is never a bad idea.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
When I travel, 7+1 and 7 more 45acp.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I keep 1k of good JHP in each of my major calibers (1.1k of 9mm, 1k of 45 currently).  I don't think that's necessary though, but I stocked up when things were cheaper and easier to find.  

True minimum would probably be 1 mags worth.  In all reality, you're unlikely to need any more than that.  Think of the guys who went through Katrina, etc - not a single shot fired.  

Regarding Katrina –– not only did they go through without a shot fired, but many people had to abandon their homes. If I have to bug out with my family, odds are I'd be leaving behind thousands of rounds. The huge stashes are nice to have, but not always practical –– what if the house is set on fire? What if you have to move on foot? Etc Etc...
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#13]
As far as keeping good defensive ammo, at least a couple of mags for each gun you carry or keep in you home for protection, but don't forget the amount you will need to practice with.  It's OK to use cheaper FMJ to target practice, but you need to shoot what you are going to carry. Some people will buy expensive ammo for defense and never run it through their firearm.  Bad mistake!
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#14]

I'd think 200 rds of top quality self defense ammo would be the minimum to keep around.

Enough to fill 3-5 mags each for 2 -4 handguns.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For handgun ammo, A box, maybe two for each caliber.

I can't think of any situation that would require more than 100 rounds of ammo where I'm not either A) dead, B) transitioned to a Rifle, or C) both.

This.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a hundred rounds of 9mm HST and a thousand rounds of 193 5.56. If something makes me burn through that. I'm OK falling back on plinking ammo, of which I have plenty.

In all honesty, I expect that a couple of mags would be plenty for almost anything, but I subscribe to the 'better to have and not need then need and not have' philosophy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Having several hundred rounds of good "defensive" ammo such as hollow points for handguns is a good thing. Not because I anticipate having to use much of it in a defensive situation, but to have enough around because I don't trust the federal goverment. All it's going to take is a high profile school yard shooting or something similiar causing several dead children or cops and you will stand a much better chance of the feds banning hollow points ammo as "too deadly", "cop killer bullets", etc. than having to defend yourself with a gun.

Stash some while you can. In today's political climate all us serfs may end up with nothing more than highly taxed and expensive hardball available to buy.

NAD
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Once I find what round a gun likes best , I stock 300 rounds just for that weapon .
The only downside is trying to keep track of which gun likes what ammo as your
collection grows
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Once I find what round a gun likes best , I stock 300 rounds just for that weapon .
collection grows

True.

I started an Excel spreadsheet for mine and it makes it a bit easier.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
collection grows

True.

I started an Excel spreadsheet for mine and it makes it a bit easier.

you might be a gun geek if...    

Of course, serious geeks use a database.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]
To me, the only reason to stock several thousand rounds of my PD ammo of choice is if I plan on a long spell where everyone is out of it (kinda like now-a-days).  I usually keep a couple of boxes (and a couple loaded magazines) of my carry ammo just so that I can shoot it every now and then and rotate rounds around.  I do stock up on plinking and range ammo, but as has been mentioned before- if you are in a TEOTWAWKI situation and on the run it's awful hard to carry around 3K rounds and all the other survival stuff too.  I think several magazines would be fine, I'm not hanging out for an extended firefight where I need more than I can carry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regarding Katrina –– not only did they go through without a shot fired, but many people had to abandon their homes. If I have to bug out with my family, odds are I'd be leaving behind thousands of rounds. The huge stashes are nice to have, but not always practical –– what if the house is set on fire? What if you have to move on foot? Etc Etc...

That and local Gov't actually Confiscated guns from citizens! It's hard to fire a weapon in SD if they take it from you.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess I have about 5-6000 rds in handgun JHPs laying around.  Could be a bit more, who knows.  I ran across a box a few months back that was full of HSTs I had forgotten about.  I am glad I don't have to shop around in today's market.

A friend of mine just bought another safe just for his ammo.  With the price of ammo now a days he felt it was well worth it.  I am thinking of doing the same thing for my ammo and mags.

FB
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#25]
at least 500 (not incluidng the stock you will practice with)

see above
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Out and about........
HK USP .40SW=50 rounds(13+1 in the pistol, 2-13rnd mags, and 1-10rnd mag) loaded and ready. 200 rounds boxxed in the backpack.
RRA Entry Rifle=210 rounds(30 in the rifle, 6-30rnd mags in the vest) immediatly ready, 600 rounds in 20-30 rnd mags in a small crate.
Home.....
various firearms.
Minimum is 1000 rds per pistol caliber and 2000 rds per rifle caliber.

2000 .40SW Personal Defense
750   .40SW Target
?K M855
2K M856
?K various 55 gr .223 or 5.56 rounds

the important # for me is the Out and about #

sw1217
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and local Gov't actually Confiscated guns from citizens! It's hard to fire a weapon in SD if they take it from you.

Katrina may well have been a 'low round count' kind'a thing, but it was the LA riots that made me sit up and take notice of my ammo inventory; One of the very first things the local government did was to suspend ammo sales, and I heard at least one account of Korean store owners calling radio stations to ask folk for more ammo.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Katrina may well have been a 'low round count' kind'a thing, but it was the LA riots that made me sit up and take notice of my ammo inventory; One of the very first things the local government did was to suspend ammo sales, and I heard at least one account of Korean store owners calling radio stations to ask folk for more ammo.

They suspended ammo sales??  Jeez.  That's like the New Orleans cops confiscating guns.  Why in the hell does the government not want us to be able to defend ourselves?  That is so totally and completely wrong for our society.

OK.. you make a good point and I can see having a pretty good SD ammo stash if you live in Houston/LA/Chicago or other large urban areas.  I can also see it to a lesser degree in hurricane areas (I lived in one for 25 yrs, you wouldn't need a lot of ammo for looters and to date they have never formed large groups but you never know).  I guess the bottom line is that if you can afford it, it's certainly not going to get cheaper and I'm not thinking we're going to see a quantum leap in bullet technology in the next few years.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#29]
The army issues 210 rounds of 5.56 to you average soldier in the sand box…

The basic combat load for an M9 is 45 rounds of 9mm FMJ…

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#30]
They also can be resupplied.  I only have 1 box of Gold dots but a couple of hundred rounds of FMJ should be fine.  I really would not have any on hand and just buy what I need before going to shoot but this ammo shortage has made be buy stuff when I can find it.  Still I only have 400 rnds of 223 and 300 rnds of FMJ 9mm.  Only enough for 2 range sessions so I have stopped shooting till Walmart can keep its shelves stocked.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I have about 300 rds of .45 for my defensive gun in that caliber, and 150 rds 10mm for my sometimes defensive gun.

For my .45 I have 250 rds of Ranger-T which is the round I currently keep loaded. I have a few boxes of some other stuff, but it's just older ammo that I don't use anymore.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:19:27 AM EDT
[#32]
The minimum amount depends on how far you want to take it.

At the "moment of truth", if you have a few loaded magazines worth, you are probably GTG.

To account for rotating out ammo over time to keep fresh stuff in the magazines, probably a few hundred is needed.

But if you subscribe to the technique of running at least 200 rounds through a new handgun to prove its reliability with a given round, then you need to factor that in to your stash.

So, 500 rounds of the good stuff on hand sounds like alot until you are considering adding a few new handguns in that caliber.  All the sudden you are down to almost none.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Cool.  Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Not everyone in a combat zone is issued a M9. As for the combat load of 210 rd that is a light combat load. Normal combat load while in Panama was 10-14 loaded mags same in Desert Shield/Storm. It really depends on the person and what he wanted to carry.

As far as the minmum of defensive ammo, I have on hand at least 500 rds of HP/JHP per handgun. I have at least 5k per handgun for plunking.
As for rifle ammo at least 20 loaded mags and at least 5-6k rds per in sealed tins. For weekend shooting I try to keep at least 5k on hand.
Shotguns about 2k mixed. 00#, buck, and birdshot. Sounds like alot but I have 5 kids that love to shot as much as I do. Just glad the older 3 ones have jobs to help pay for it.
As for storing, I have it broke down into Bug Out kits, each tailored with one pistol and rifle/shotgun for each one of my family members in just in case we have to move in a hurry

"It is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it."
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Fancy "make holes as big as my fist" stuff -> about 100 of each caliber
Factory loaded ball -> closer to 1000+ of each caliber
Componenants required for reloading -> enough for a few thousand of each caliber you reload.

I hope none of you guys with the massive stashes ever have a fire or have to move.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top