Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2002 1:16:06 PM EDT
Any one have any experience with Milt Sparks products.

I have heard they are very good and I am looking at the summer special II.

Any opinions?????
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I first met Milt and his wife back in 1975. I bought a Summer Special from him and most of my leather holsters have come from his company since.

Milt Sparks Holsters are of excellent quality and design. Although not inexpensive they are worth the price and wait (they don't build a holster until you order it). Good stuff doesn't come cheep or fast. Milt Sparks holsters fall into this catagory.

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was hoping to hear.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Milt Sparks holsters are the simply outstanding and as far as I'm concerned there are very few equals in the business. I wear a Summer Special matched with a Sparks belt and mag pouch every day all year round and wouldn't have it any other way. The quality, craftsmanship, and general knowledge of carry gear are second to none... these guys know holsters, what works and what doesn't, 'cause they use 'em. Don't hesitate buying their products, especially since there is about an 8-week wait for all orders. If you need the holster now let me know and I'll give you the name of a few guys who may what you want in stock.

Although I’m sure the Summer Special 2 is a very workable holster my personal preference is for the original Summer Special. The Summer Special lacks a body protector (making the gun a bit more accessible for me) and removable belt loops (making the holster a bit thinner) but either way you go you‘ll end up with a holster you‘ll be able to use for next to forever.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm considering a new gun and hoster so there is no rush. also After your post I went back to the site and looked at them again. I will need the ss2 as for some reason I am corrosive and make just about every metal I touch, rust. I have to wear a titanium watch so that I don't react with the metal.

The ss looks great and I would use it, if it were not for the above.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been real pleased with the Executive Companion models and would recommend those for consideration also.  

Milt Sparks products are very high quality and worth every cent of the price, IMHO on par with Mitch Rosen gear.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
What about their Watch-six and Watch-six DT holsters?  I'm looking for a less-bulky IWB holster (currently have a Sidearmor) and this one looks kind of interesting.  There is something on the product page about the unreinforced mouth closing when the gun is withdrawn.  Any input on this?  I guess it doesn't really matter, as you will only draw the gun when you really need it, unless you are practicing.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What about their Watch-six and Watch-six DT holsters?....  There is something on the product page about the unreinforced mouth closing when the gun is withdrawn.

The Watch-Six is a very good, very simple, and very usable design that is similar to the Versa-Max 2. Both use outboard belt loops to help lower the profile of the holster. If one were looking for a relatively inexpensive IWB of this design the Watch-Six is the way to go. When I bought one I initially like the holster due to its lightweight low mass design. However, I quickly found the unreinforced mouth to be a major stumbling block for my use. During range sessions reholstering became too much of a chore due to the mouth of the holster collapsing when the gun is withdrawn. The Versa-Max 2 is a much better design, IMO, and worth the extra $40. A holster that will allow the user to easily reinsert the weapon with one hand is a must have as far as I'm concerned. Consequently, my Watch-Six basically collects dust and I rely on my Summer Special far more and occasionally my Versa-Max 2.

If I had it to do over again I would have just stuck with my Versa-Max 2 and never have ordered a Watch-Six but the experience has been worth the cost, no doubt.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
That Versa Max 2 looks like the way to go for me.  I currently carry a Glock 19 in a Sidearmor IWB holster, and it's a bit bulky.  I'm wondering if a leather (vs Kydex) will be a little less bulky and more comfortable, being that the belt loops are not stacked ontop of the gun, but rather to the sides.

Also, what about cowhide vs horsehide?  and the Kydex clips to allow tucking?  Any experience with those?

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Gloftoe - Good choice with the Versa-Max 2. I have noticed that the position of the belt loops (either on top or out board of the holster) hasn’t made any difference for me in regards to the comfort of the holster. Outboard loops make for a flatter profile and thus may possibly help concealment but in my experience for the most part this has not proved to be the case. My Summer Special seems to be just as concealable as my Versa-Max 2 and part of that may be because of the flatness of the leather belt loops used on the Summer Special.  

As far as the way the gun will feel inside your waistband... I was surprised to notice that the Versa-Max 2 feels a bit bulkier than the Summer Special does. The Summer Special lets the gun ride higher and this may result in a thinner feeling rig but part could also be do to the construction of the Versa-Max 2. There is allot of leather used to make the Versa-Max 2, so much more that the result is a holster that weighs almost twice as much. Never the less the Versa-Max 2 is still comfortable even though it's a bit heavy. I wore this holster on Memorial Day using it while playing a full 9 innings of baseball and didn't have any problems at all.

Horsehide vs. cowhide...  it's either or really. The back of the Versa-Max 2 is constructed of horsehide no matter which material you choose so it's basically up to personal preference. I've never used the tuckable kydex clips so I have no opinion to offer about them or their effectiveness. What I can say is my personal preference is not to cover the gun up that much. It simply slows the draw too much and I'd rather find a more useful way to conceal the gun

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top