Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 2:11:14 PM EDT
I have been on the phone for the last half hour tryin to track down a vmaxII for my carry gun and can only find one, anywhere, that is ready to ship. The sad part is that it is not "blocked out" for a post 2000 springfield. The word I got from Jim and Marty at milt sparks is that they, themselves, would not buy a holster for a post 2000 springfield unless it was specifically made for the later models. I was told that a regular 5" versa would be soo tight that I would not be able to get the gun out of the holster without a very significant breakin period. Marty had said that he was unable to get his loaded model out of the holster while it was on his belt; he would have to take off the holster and forcefully pull the gun out. Thought I would let all you Springer owners what the deal was. If you order a milts parks, reguardless of the model, make sure it is BLOCKED OUT for your late model springer.
Josh
edited for failing english class
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't recall them asking me what year model my gun was. (I'm still waiting on it)  Did they say what their default VMII is made for, the older or newer ones?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
They said that the default one is for the "Colts and Kimbers". You might want to give them a call. According to Top Gun, one of the companies that is linked from the sparks website, Jim(from Milts Sparks) is the bottom line answer. Top Gun said they agreed with Jim's word and I should not buy a versa not marked for the springers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If it makes you feel any better I had to call and have my VMII specially made as I'm a lefty carrying a MC Operator.  Was told they had never made one and that mine was the first.. after almost 5 months later I received it.

Now a year later it still looks like the day I got it in the mail!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats odd since within the last several years Springfield actually made their frame profile LESS beefy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I am just relayin the info I recieved from Milt Sparks, Lightning Arms and Top Gun. They did tell me that the holster will hold the springers but would take much time to break in.
Edit; John Wayne would want to know this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My VMII is stamped 1911, I got it from lightning Arms Sports about 18mo ago.

It holds all my full size 1911s just fine, to include a 2000 year production PRO and a current production Loaded.

I thought you had said yours worked.  Mine is stamped "1911 SA" which I took to mean blocked out differently from the rest of the 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Springfield changed from THIS frame profile:

to the more traditional profile on most models, including the loaded guns:

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Very interesting Lumpy. My Springer has a frame that more closely resembles the GI model you have posted. All the reps I talked to at the holster sites said that the main difference was in the part of the frame forward of the trigger guard. I see now what they were talking about. That is a huge difference in profile. I am going to call Springfield and talk to the tech department and get the real story about the dimensions of my pistol and when exactly the change took place. I will post back as soon as I am able to reach the techs. Last time I called Springfield the customer service girl was reluctant to put me through to thier department; I am assuming that it was because it was late in the day. I have yet to order my versa because I want  to get the real skinny on these pistols.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The major reductions took place on the dust cover (forward of the trigger guard/under the slide) and the forward edges of the front strap.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My Versa Max 2 is marked 1911 (no SA on it). My Loaded (new production from '05 I beleive) was quite tight at first, taking two hands to seperate the firearm from the holster the first two draws.

I did the recommended 50 presentations, and it got easier as I went. It now is fine, holds securely but will allow a draw as needed. My frame profile is about like the second pic (the first would be tighter in the holster, yes?).
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Years ago,  IPSC guns had aimpoint mounts mounted to the dust cover/frame area forward of the trigger.

They made 'em thicker to allow the scope mount threads to have more to bite into.

These days, there is no market for a scoped single stack 1911, as the STI/SVI have taken over open class guns.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My VM2 is marked 4" 1911 and fits my new SA Loaded Champion just fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered a VM2 for a Springfield champion, I called lightning arms (they were out of stock, found it at topgun) and told the lady whom I spoke to (at lightning arms)  it was for a springfield if it made any difference, and was told on the 4" 1911's it did not matter the make.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I ordered a VM II for my Springfield Pro w/light rail back in January. They specifically asked me if it had the full or 3/4 rail when I placed the phone order.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered the regular 5" gov model versa from lightning arms thanks to the info I got from this thread.. My wife is gonna shit. Thought I would let you guys, who are interested in a versa, that lightning arms is the only dealer with these in stock. They only have 2 or three left that are tan and have the 1.5" loops. So if you don't want to wait at least 15 weeks for one, snag up one from here. This is only reguarding the government model holsters. Thanks again Lumpy.
Josh
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Got it in the mail today. Uber fuckin fast service. Two days from Or to Va. I got the one that is not marked for the Springers and it fits like a dream. Man O' man, this is a huge step up in comfort and functionality from uncle mikes POS. My advice... Get one now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered at VM2 4.25" 1911 from Top Gun Friday night at about about 10pm EST it shipped today (Saturday morning)

Talk about quick service.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I ordered at VM2 4.25" 1911 from Top Gun Friday night at about about 10pm EST it shipped today (Saturday morning)

Talk about quick service.

Wow, I was told 12-16 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep i got the last one
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yep i got the last one

I ordered mine on January 9, 2006

I guess my wait time stems from it being for a light railed 1911.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Good thread!  I've been bothered with this problem for quite awhile when purchasing holsters.  I like to buy a 5" holster and then use it double duty with a Jardine custom cmbt. cmndr (4.25") and a lightly customized Don Williams SA 5" loaded model (with the fuller dustcover).  Unfortunately, many holsters are so closely molded that they don't work with the SA yet are smooth with the cmndr.  I recently sold a CompTac Gurkha that I really wanted to like, but it wouldn't work with the SA.  I have a 1911 only marked VMII that surprisingly works well with both but is perhaps a slight bit tighter on the 5".  Bladetech owb vertical holsters (older models) work well with both, a SafariLand 5183 owb I have also works well.  Cendex doesn't mold for the fuller dustcover either.  I have an old Leather Arsenal Summer Special type that works, along with a FIST adj. angle iwb (#19?) and a Rafters iwb too.  

Nice comparison photos too Lumpy.  Nothing beats a pic, does it?

EricO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top