Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/25/2004 4:34:16 PM EST
what your opinion on this puppy?
Mil-spec model
I'm curious cause I can't find any reviews.
Any owners out there?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:35:16 AM EST
I think alot of people have the standard Mil spec and the Loaded models.

Reviews seems to be mixed on the standard while the Loaded seems to be made nicely.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:35:06 PM EST
I've had mine for about 6 months now. Probably fired about 800 rounds, and have not had any malfunctions at all. That's with UMC fmj rounds. I fired about 20 Remington hollowpoints, since I had heard there were sometimes feeding issues, but I had none. The only problem I have had in any way shape or form is with a Kimber magazine. If I load 7 rounds, the gun doesn't like it. If I only put in 6, it is fine. It has been reliable, and I am impressed with it accuracy out of the box. Hope that's helpful.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:43:16 PM EST
My SA Milspec is OK. Ran like a champ for the first 200rds, then the front sight came loose. Sent slide back to SA, and it has been good ever since. Had some feeding problems related to the extractor (MY FAULT 100% - I was dropping rounds into the chamber and letting the slide slam shut on them). I know most of you just flinched, but it was my first pistol EVER and I didn't know any better. I do now! Tried to replace the extractor myself. Three times. Couldn't get the tension right. Finally brought it to a 'smith, and he seems to have squared it away. My gun feeds fine with Winchester 180gr JHP and just about every hardball ammo EXCEPT Wolf. That brand is horrible in my gun, turns it into a jam-o-matic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:07:28 PM EST
I have two mil specs and both have been 100% reliable with winchester 230 gr. ball and UMC 230 gr. ball. my parked mil spec has probably 800+ rounds through it and my stainless has 150 rounds through it. Thanks to the guys on this site I replaced my stock mags with the wilson combat 47D's and they have been reliable also.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:32:11 PM EST
I've got one. It's ok, seems to have tighter tollerances than their GI .45

Roy
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:36:49 PM EST
Pick mine up when I hit Dallas. They are good pistols, the series 70 type design, so I'll be upgrading the internals right away, but you don't need to. The one I'm getting has a nice smooth trigger, probably about 5lbs.

But, I like to mess with stuff, and have built .45's before so...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:49:02 PM EST
My opinion is that it dont have a pony on it, so I would say save your money and get the real deal
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:39:42 AM EST
I have the GI model (very similar to the MilSpec with the exception of the sights). I have been very happy with the pistol and have had no problems with it for the first 500 rounds or so. Accurate out to 25yds (max distance at the indoor range I have taken it to), easy to shoot, easy to clean, etc. Great way to get into 1911 shooting without spending a lot of money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:25:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 4:28:26 PM EST by nationwide]

Originally Posted By nationwide:
Pick mine up when I hit Dallas. They are good pistols, the series 70 type design, so I'll be upgrading the internals right away, but you don't need to. The one I'm getting has a nice smooth trigger, probably about 5lbs.

But, I like to mess with stuff, and have built .45's before so...

UPDATE: Picked up the mil-spec today and took it to the range. Man, did I get some funny looks when I took the brand new pistol out of the case, and proceded to gut it!

Not a single round through it, and I totally replaced the internals. CMC hammer & sear, Knowlins (I think) Main and sear springs, and ditched the locking MSH for a regular arched one. Oh yeah, and the wide grip safety, Wilson Combat trigger, and cocobolo grips.

It's got to have about a 3 pound trigger and the best I could do at 10 yds from a rest was to cloverleaf 4 shots (pulled the 5th ).

I've got about $600 into it, gun and parts, and it's a FINE peestola, seenyour!!

ETA: I'm using the nice Mec-Gar 8 shot mags with the plastic baseplate. 100% reliable for over 500 rounds each mag.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:25:35 PM EST
no pictures???

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:49:42 PM EST
Bought mine about 10 years ago. I haven't had any problems with it and it digestes any ammo I put through it including HP's and Semi-Wadcutters. I bought a loaded Ultra Compact and it shoots good with FMJ's but won't feed hollow points reliably enough for CCW. I sent it back to Springfield and bought Wilson Mags and it works better. One or two failure to feeds out of a hundred hollow points. This is not good enough to risk my life on. It will feed my semi-wadcutter target loads all day without a hicup but not the hollow points.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:49:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:27:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By Witch_Doctor:
no pictures???

Well ya know... I had this extra bunch of money in my pocket yesterday. I'm walkin down the street thinkin to myself "Wow, nationwide, you could really use a new digital camera since your last one took a shit..." Then all of a sudden this Ice Cream truck rolls buy...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:52:55 AM EST
I have had my SA milspec for just over 2 years now. I, too, had the front sight loosening problem, and those fugly plastic grips recently broke, but other than that, the gun is everything I could want in a 1911. Tolerances aren't very tight, but the gun has never failed to feed after the first 100 rounds, with ANY load, including Wolf (500 rds no failures). It tears a ragged hole in the bullseye at 15 yards, which is pretty funny standing next to my friend with a Kimber TLE who can't keep em all on the paper at that range
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:32:34 PM EST
Except for my front sight shooting loose...ahem! Like everybody elses! My 10 year old mil spec model outshoots, or equals any .45 I have ever owned...and i have owned alot of them, don't know why, it just does. I have done a bushing-ramp- and trigger job on it though.
Top Top