Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2003 8:08:51 PM EDT
I've been wanting to take the plunge and get my first 1911 for a while now but now I'm broke. how
Thanks for thoughts.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Same as blued steel, IMO. It offers no more protection over rust then blueing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Not having any blued pistols, I'd agree with Bob.  Don't expect the parkerizing to be some kind of super armor rust/corrosion deterrant.  It can and will scratch or wear off.  Not saying it's NOT durable, tho.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Holster wear shows up early on the "high" spots.
When and if rust shows up it's not as big a deal as a nicely blued one, IMO, as it's a sacrificial finish anyway...a working gun.
Keep the insides cleaned and lubed and "old ugly" will still do it's job, holster wear, rust or not.
Short of buying a stainless model, sending the frame (and/or slide) out for a "wonder finish" of some kind at a later date may be most practical when funds permit it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive had good luck keeping a parked 1911 and my SIGs from rusting using Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth.  I have very acidic skin and can rust anything.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I am gonna be the house parrot today, been pluggin azex a bit:

www.azexarms.com

the parkote finish really rocks...it's a moly resin ( or something ) soaked into a parkerized finish.  Gorgeous and holds up VERY well.

SQWAAAAAUUUKKKK....GIMME A CRACKER!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top