Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 9:04:27 PM EDT
We I guess first off...what is your opinion of them. Is there something better. Should I get sights which are all one color...or the one where the front is green and the rear is yellow or orange? And finally why do they make them in two different heights...6.5 and 6.9 mm? Oh and incase it matters, this is for a G19 for both me but more importantly my girlfriend. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally use Green on Green.  I have both trijicon and meps. with zero problems from each.  In fact I dropped my HK P7M8 on the ground (oops) and the sights saved my gun.  However the sight was destroyed and made a loud explosion sound.  Thought I had a possible ND but it was just the sight.  Not a scratch on the gun.  Arizona gun runners had me a new set in just a few days.  My gunsmith was a little confused on why he had to put two sets of night sights on the same gun within a month.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#2]
6.5mm height is for 9/40, the 6.9 are for 10/45.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Meprolights used to be the sight of choice because they were good enough and so much cheaper than the Trijicons.  They seem to have pretty much caught up in price, and personally I don't like the tall blocky profile of the sights.  I have decided to switch to Ameriglo as my sight of choice, as their quality is much, much better than when they first came out, and there customer service has always been top notch.

I have also decided not to use night sights anymore on all of my guns.  I have some Ameriglo combat sights on the way for a couple of my new guns.  They are steel replacement sights without the glow in the dark feature. The only reason I am getting those, is because Glocks come with plastic sights and prefer to have metal sights.  My other metal sights guns are staying that way.  I can no longer justify paying $75-$100 for night sights.  The only thing they are really good for is so you can see your gun on the nightstand at night.  If you get into a situation at night, it is going to be at such a close range, chances are you aren't going to be lining up your sights.  It doesn't matter if they are glowing or not.

www.ameriglo.net
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:10:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, as far as the colors.  If you decide to get night sights, the only thing you are getting when you get different colors is a reduced warranty on the other colors besides green.  There is no advantage to them being different colors.

Most companies offer between 10 and 12 year warranties on their green tubes, and I think about 5 years on the other colors.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have Meprolight night sights (green) on my G17. these are my first night sight but I really like them. They help me a lot in the dark.

The 6.5 mm sights are for the G17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 33, 34, 35, 37.
The 6.9 mm sights are for the G20, 21, 29, 30, 31, 32.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a set of Meprolights on my Kimber.
I would use grn/grn   org/org   yell/yell   and so on. I don't like the split colors just one more thing to remember if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Have Mep's on my USP Tac and G26.  Have Triji's on my G21.  Between these two brands, the Trijicons are the loser.  I got the Trijicons because of the name, but have been much happier with the Meprolights.  The Trijicons were just not as nice as the Meps.  The white outline on the Trijicons looked like sh!t since new.  But not to worry, some of it will rub off soon anyway after a cleaning.  Even the vials on the Meps were more precisely constructed.  Glass flush with sight housing, bright glow, just damn prettier.  That is build quality, as far as durability, i can't say.  I've never abused either.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have Mep's on my USP Tac and G26.  Have Triji's on my G21.  Between these two brands, the Trijicons are the loser.  I got the Trijicons because of the name, but have been much happier with the Meprolights.  The Trijicons were just not as nice as the Meps.  The white outline on the Trijicons looked like sh!t since new.  But not to worry, some of it will rub off soon anyway after a cleaning.  Even the vials on the Meps were more precisely constructed.  Glass flush with sight housing, bright glow, just damn prettier.  That is build quality, as far as durability, i can't say.  I've never abused either.

I have found the opposite to be true.  The Trijicon's have a more pleasing overall profile.  The Mep's seem kind of tall and blocky to me.  Like watching one of those old TV's that vertically stretches the picture until it warms up.  I prefer the sharper, tighter focus of the Trijicon's tubes, and I have a set of Trijicon's on my G27 which I purchased in 1997, with clear white outlines on them.  If you follow the instructions that came with the sights, they tell you not to use certain solvents on the outlines, and they should hold up fine.  Just like my 9 year old ones.

I have also found that if you use those same solvents Trijicon says not to use, on Mepro's, the entire coating over the vile and the tritium tube clouds up some.  Reducing the visibility of the white outline and the glow tube.

The last thing I don't like about the Meps is the front sight is so fat, it makes it much more difficult to sight in accurately.  Sights with thinner front blades help you to see how centered the front blade is in the rear sight.  Now, I don't think the front blade on the Triji's is much thinner than the Meps, but maybe the rear spacing is a bit more pronunced, giving you the same effect.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Meps with the front green and the back yellow sights.  Had them for 3 years with no problems on my Glock 22.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, seems to be quite the toss-up here. I'm glad I have the height issue worked out. Thanks! Any more imput from anyone would be great.  H53EXPERT, you make some valid points, however this is for my girlfriend whom I do live with...however because I am at sea for atleast half the year minimum...I want her to have every advantage possible. She doesn't wish to carry the gun...just have it by the bed. With that in mind, she could have to make a shot of up to fifty feet. Not much for you or I....but again...every advantage possible.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#11]
a good flash light would be nice for your GF since they're powerful and can easily blind an attacker
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for reminding me to check! I have Trijicons on my G-17 and Meprolites on my G-19. Both installed within a couple weeks of each other about 9 years ago. I recall early on, finding the Trijicons to be slightly "sharper" and the Meprolites slightly "fuzzier" when they were new. My non-scientific tests showed no appreciable difference in acquiring a sight picture.

Just had a look in a darkened basement room. Bioth still functioning, about equally. Not as bright as new (or as bright as on my new 1911's), but certainly still usefull. Trijicons still slightly sharper, Meprolites still slightly fuzzier. I wonder if the Trijicons white outline might help picking them up in lighted hours, not really sure.

Back when I bought them, the Trijicons were substantially more $. If they're equal now, I'd say you are correct. Toss up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm telling you.  Check out the Ameriglo brand.  From what I hear the company is much more receptive to customer service, they will be cheaper than Triji, and nowadays probably the Meps also.  They are good sights, and they now use Trijicon tritium tubes, which are better than Mepro's in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I've owned and used both... For the money the Trijicon soghts offer a sharper sight picture for the Glock handgun. I've only used Mepro on Glock so I'm not sure on there other offerings.

The Trijicons can also be purchased with an optional different color in the rear. I've got green/yellow Trijicons on my G-36 and I'm very pleased with them.

The white ring around the capsule and the slightly larger rear sight opening makes a huge difference in daylight when you get out to 50-100 yards.

The only combat style night sight I've used that's equal or better is the MMC adjustable in the bar/dot configuration.

At least that's my .02    
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
a good flash light would be nice for your GF since they're powerful and can easily blind an attacker

I bought the Streamlight M6....I posted something about it as well... but haven't had much luck on that front... Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The reason why Trijicons and Ameriglos seem to offer a better sight picture, is that the front sight is slightly narrower.
I have have all three( and others)  on different Glocks. Ameriglo has a nice product and really great customer service. If you ever have an issue, they really stand behind their product and will make it right.  Even though they use Trijicon tubes, they are made here, in the USA.

All three above mentioned sights are good enough for self defense, which one you choose is just a personal decision.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#17]
i have grn mepros on all of my glocks.

great set of nightsights and not that expensive. with the other colors the half life or life span is shortened.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i have grn mepros on all of my glocks.

great set of nightsights and not that expensive. with the other colors the half life or life span is shortened.

When was the last time you bought Mepro's and what did you get them for?  About two years ago, I bought half a dozen Mepro's from eBay and other places, brand new for $58 to $65 shipped.  From what I am seeing now, they are going for $80 plus about $5 shipping.  At that price, I would rather get Ameriglo's with the better sight picture, and more profiles to choose from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top