Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/31/2014 11:08:39 PM EDT
I had to go to the hospital to get an echocardiogram done today. I was wearing my Shield in 9mm today. Anyway I had to take my shirt off to get it done and the nurse DIDN'T freak out. I said that that was a good thing because I was carrying a gun for the state at the same hospital for 24 years and no body complained about it then (of course I was guarding a prisoner at the time) so why should they complain about it now? Not only was the Ultrasound nurse cool about it, we discussed different ways to carry and different guns. She and her husband are getting their permits next week. I even talked to her about the shooting in Phithadelphia hospital where a doctor saved many lives that day when he shot a bad guy.

The same thing happened at the endocrinologist. My doctor had no problems with me carrying in the exam room. I guess I'm lucky.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:21:30 PM EDT
I was getting a Department physical few years ago and in the process of taking off my boot my Colt Agent went sliding across the floor of the clinic. The PA that was doing the physical said wow man is that a Colt Agent, can i check it out.nice. One of the reasons i love this place.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:06:22 PM EDT
A couple years ago, I had to go to a dermatologist to get a couple moles cut off my face that my family Dr thought might be cancerous. The female dermatologist was SMOKING HOT and got the moles off without any trouble. After, she starts lifting my shirt, trying to check my chest and back to see if there are any more. I wasn't expecting that and had my Glock 26 IWB. She lifts my shirt up and kinda stops when she sees the G26, then looks at me and asks if it was a 9mm or .40. Told her it was a 9mm and apologized, telling her that I hadn't been expecting her to check my chest and back. She tells me no big deal and we start talking guns. Turns out her dad is a gun nut and it kinda rubbed off on her. She said that she had gotten her CCW right after OH went to "Shall Issue". I can't remember what she said she carried, but she said it was in her office. She told me she wished everyone felt the way we did because she really wanted to carry all the time but couldn't because a lot of her patients were liberals and freaked out when she tried (this is in the uber liberal, union stronghold of Mahoning County). Too bad I'm married, she was flirting a little and my wife was in the waiting room.

On the other side of the coin, I carried one time when I went to my regular Dr office for bronchitis. I didn't even think about it and carried my G26 IWB because it was always on me. Went in and the female Dr (not very hot and a real bitch) freaked out when she found out I had my G26. I told her I was a cop and always carried and she settled down a little but told me at the end of the visit that, if I ever come and see her again, to not carry. Needless to say, when I go to my Dr office, I never see her anymore.

I have to be really careful about hospitals. All of them around here are posted and, in OH, the signs carry the force of law. I have carried in some of the local hospitals when visiting someone, but if I am going, guns are either left at home or in the car.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:13:35 PM EDT
I did see a small (about 1.5" square) "No Weapons" sign on the front door when leaving. I blew it off. They have more "No Smoking" and "Tobacco Free Campus" signs than they do "No Weapons" signs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:30:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2014 11:55:29 AM EDT by OKnativeson]
more than you know.

a few months ago, I had to get a MRI at a facility I'm ECB at and when the tech ( i had never met her) came over to me, handed over 2 plastic bins and said "Empty out your pockets and take off your belt". She stood there watching me pull out my every day stuff, a 442 in a pocket holster, a bianchi speed strip, Kershaw, wallet, money clip and a zippo.

she was laughting and pointing at it all to the others in there, then she looked at me and said " you ought to quit smoking". when I replied I didn't smoke she asked me why I carried a zippo. I looked at her and said, "Iin case I need to set someone on fire"

I ended up taking her to the range the next week and she bought a G19 a few days later.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:24:18 PM EDT
The surgeon who fixed my back and my wife's neck rocks a G19.

Saw my Glock t-shirt one day and that started the conversation.

Cool guy, for a doc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:38:24 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:
more than you know.

a few months ago, I had to get a MRI at a facility I'm ECB at and when the tech ( i had never met her) came over to me, handed over 2 plastic bins and said "Empty out your pockets and take off your belt". She stood there watching me pull out my every day stuff, a 442 in a pocket holster, a bianchi speed strip, Kershaw, wallet, money clip and a zippo.

she was laughting and pointing at it all to the others in there, then she looked at me and said " you ought to quit smoking". when I replied I didn't smoke she asked me why I carried a zippo. I looked at her and said, "Iin case I need to set someone on fire"

I ended up taking her to the range the next week and she bought a G19 a few days later.
View Quote

Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm for one night. SET a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:09:25 PM EDT
A doctor stopped a man from killing a lot a people in Darby Pa Hospital a few days ago. And he wasn't supposed to have a gun in the hospital.
Guy came in his office an shot a women (his patient) in the head. Doc pulled his gun and exchanged gun fire with the man. Almost got killed himself.
But he stopped the killer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:39:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2014 9:40:44 AM EDT by MCBallpeen]
Originally Posted By zzzspacezzz:
A doctor stopped a man from killing a lot a people in Darby Pa Hospital a few days ago. And he wasn't supposed to have a gun in the hospital.
Guy came in his office an shot a women (his patient) in the head. Doc pulled his gun and exchanged gun fire with the man. Almost got killed himself.
But he stopped the killer.
View Quote

We should see about getting the good doctor a LARGER caliber than .32. It was a .32 revolver so that could mean anything from a .32 ACP (yes, these will work in revolvers) to a .327 Federal. I'm betting either a .32 H&R Magnum or .32 S&W.

The good doctor plugged him twice in the torso, and once in the arm. The GSWs sustained by the perp WERE NOT fatal.

Never get into a gun fight against a doctor. They know just where to shoot you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:16:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bub75:
A couple years ago, I had to go to a dermatologist to get a couple moles cut off my face that my family Dr thought might be cancerous. The female dermatologist was SMOKING HOT and got the moles off without any trouble. After, she starts lifting my shirt, trying to check my chest and back to see if there are any more. I wasn't expecting that and had my Glock 26 IWB. She lifts my shirt up and kinda stops when she sees the G26, then looks at me and asks if it was a 9mm or .40. Told her it was a 9mm and apologized, telling her that I hadn't been expecting her to check my chest and back. She tells me no big deal and we start talking guns. Turns out her dad is a gun nut and it kinda rubbed off on her. She said that she had gotten her CCW right after OH went to "Shall Issue". I can't remember what she said she carried, but she said it was in her office. She told me she wished everyone felt the way we did because she really wanted to carry all the time but couldn't because a lot of her patients were liberals and freaked out when she tried (this is in the uber liberal, union stronghold of Mahoning County). Too bad I'm married, she was flirting a little and my wife was in the waiting room.

On the other side of the coin, I carried one time when I went to my regular Dr office for bronchitis. I didn't even think about it and carried my G26 IWB because it was always on me. Went in and the female Dr (not very hot and a real bitch) freaked out when she found out I had my G26. I told her I was a cop and always carried and she settled down a little but told me at the end of the visit that, if I ever come and see her again, to not carry. Needless to say, when I go to my Dr office, I never see her anymore.

I have to be really careful about hospitals. All of them around here are posted and, in OH, the signs carry the force of law. I have carried in some of the local hospitals when visiting someone, but if I am going, guns are either left at home or in the car.

Bub75
View Quote

I thought if you were a cop it doesn't matter if it's posted right?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:11:12 PM EDT
I think in PA the signs are not law. The only one I know of was a medical supply sore
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:50:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DrRemulak:
I think in PA the signs are not law. The only one I know of was a medical supply sore
View Quote

They're at all the hospitals around here. But I pay them no mind, they are as legally binding as asking a person not to drink at a bar. They carry no legal weight. If they discover your gun, the worst thing they can ask you to do is leave. If you don't leave it's considered trespass.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:35:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LostKeys45:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Bub75

Last I heard (which, admittedly, was a while ago), there was some debate on that. If you are on duty, signs don't mean anything. If off duty and not working, then things get gray. I've had different Prosecutors tell me different things when asked. I try to keep up on gun laws because most cops don't know much, but it gets confusing when you ask two different Judges or Prosecutors and get two completely different answers.

Myself (and please remember, I'm NOT trying to start an "us vs. them" thing), I think that, the way the signs read, cops are exempt. The official signs say, "Unless you are a Police Officer" but don't say anything about on or off duty, so cops should be good to go. However, my opinion doesn't mean squat if I am caught carrying in a posted place and a Judge or Prosecutor decides I am wrong. Therefore, I don't go to posted places if I can help it and usually disarm if I have to.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:32:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2014 12:45:10 AM EDT by LostKeys45]

Last I heard (which, admittedly, was a while ago), there was some debate on that. If you are on duty, signs don't mean anything. If off duty and not working, then things get gray. I've had different Prosecutors tell me different things when asked. I try to keep up on gun laws because most cops don't know much, but it gets confusing when you ask two different Judges or Prosecutors and get two completely different answers.

Myself (and please remember, I'm NOT trying to start an "us vs. them" thing), I think that, the way the signs read, cops are exempt. The official signs say, "Unless you are a Police Officer" but don't say anything about on or off duty, so cops should be good to go. However, my opinion doesn't mean squat if I am caught carrying in a posted place and a Judge or Prosecutor decides I am wrong. Therefore, I don't go to posted places if I can help it and usually disarm if I have to.

Bub75
View All Quotes

Bub75

Bub75

Hmm good to know. Thanks. I was under the impression that HR218 made it legal for on/off duty or retired officers to carry regardless of place excluding courtrooms and federal buildings. Guess I should look into it some more. I know my LEO friend carries everywhere to include a high school and college when he's off duty. Might have to give him a heads up.

And now that I think about it my old college professor said he could carry on campus because he was a retired cop (but chose not to because of school policy about teachers carrying).

Edit: http://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf
2nd to last question on page 4. Also see page 6. Shit read the whole thing. It's your rights!

Edit 2: I don't think I can get the link to work. Type that into google. It's easy to find and is from FOP.net
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:15:50 PM EDT

Hmm good to know. Thanks. I was under the impression that HR218 made it legal for on/off duty or retired officers to carry regardless of place excluding courtrooms and federal buildings. Guess I should look into it some more. I know my LEO friend carries everywhere to include a high school and college when he's off duty. Might have to give him a heads up.

And now that I think about it my old college professor said he could carry on campus because he was a retired cop (but chose not to because of school policy about teachers carrying).

2nd to last question on page 4. Also see page 6. Shit read the whole thing. It's your rights!

Edit 2: I don't think I can get the link to work. Type that into google. It's easy to find and is from FOP.net
View All Quotes

Bub75

Bub75

Outstanding. Thanks or the info. Our FOP rep is an absolute slacker asshole, even refusing to come when we had contract negotiations last time. I know the FOP had a summary when the LEOSA first passed, but I didn't even think about checking when the law was updated. Again, thanks for the info.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:40:22 AM EDT
Outstanding. Thanks or the info. Our FOP rep is an absolute slacker asshole, even refusing to come when we had contract negotiations last time. I know the FOP had a summary when the LEOSA first passed, but I didn't even think about checking when the law was updated. Again, thanks for the info.

Bub75
View Quote

Tell the Union Rep that you people are thinking of switching unions. He'll show up. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:35:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MCBallpeen:

Tell the Union Rep that you people are thinking of switching unions. He'll show up. Ask me how I know.
View All Quotes

Bub75

We tried. Our problem is that we are a Village and the Union is only there as long as the Village admin want it there. Since we are a Village, the admin can get rid of it at any time. There is no requirement for a Village to maintain a union if they don't want to like there is for a City. The OPBA doesn't want us at all and the FOP is useless. We've thought about going to the Teamsters LE, we're going to look into it at the end of this year when our contract is up. That's why the FOP is useless for us, they really don't want to be bothered with us, either, but they also don't want to lose our union dues.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:12:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 3:14:10 AM EDT by MCBallpeen]

We tried. Our problem is that we are a Village and the Union is only there as long as the Village admin want it there. Since we are a Village, the admin can get rid of it at any time. There is no requirement for a Village to maintain a union if they don't want to like there is for a City. The OPBA doesn't want us at all and the FOP is useless. We've thought about going to the Teamsters LE, we're going to look into it at the end of this year when our contract is up. That's why the FOP is useless for us, they really don't want to be bothered with us, either, but they also don't want to lose our union dues.

Bub75
View All Quotes

Bub75

Bub75

Hmm, sort of like AFSCME. We were just a "blip on the radar" to them until we voted them out and started our own union. I wouldn't suggest you do that. It was The PA DOC's H-1 unit. About 10,000 guys. We wanted someone else and we got them. Our old union rep was a highway worker at one time, not even in the Department of Corrections.
Top Top