Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 2:02:21 PM EDT
I am going to the Desert soon - my primary sidearm will be the M9; however all I have in my arms-room is checkmate mags; considering buying my own mags.  Is Mec-Gar anygood?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Mec-Gar is about as good as it gets.  I believe Beretta factory mags are made by Mec-Gar.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Mec-Gar are some of the best. Several manufacturers provide them from the factory with their firearms. As far as Beretta mags they are produced in-house by M.D.S. (Meccanica Del Sarca), which is a division of Beretta Firearms. I would stick with the factory PB (Pietro Beretta) marked or M.D.S. marked mags as they are of comparable quality, and they are  probably cheaper than Mec-Gar, so you can get more.
CDNN has new M.D.S. mags for $19.99
              new Beretta PB marked for $22.99
              used PB marked for $19.99
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe Mec-Gar manufactures the OEM mags for Sig among others. They just put the company's name on the mag.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe Mec-Gar manufactures the OEM mags for Sig among others. They just put the company's name on the mag.

From the Mec-Gar website:

Mec-Gar is proud to be an Original Equipment Manufacturer of magazines to most of the
prominent firearm manufacturers for the last 40 years. The following are a few of the firearm
manufacuturers to whom Mec-Gar has supplied magazines to throughout our history:

AMT,    Armscor,    Astra,    Beretta,   Bernadelli,    FN, Browning,    BUL,     Charles Daly,
Colt,     CZ,    IMI,    Kel-Tec,    Kimber,    Llama,   North American Arms,    Remington,
Sigarms,    Smith & Wesson,    Springfield Armory,    STI,    Standard Arms,    Star,
Steyr,    Tanfoglio,    Taurus,    Walther    

I guess they did provide mags for Beretta at some point.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have Mec-Gars for my PPK/S, my Hi Power & my PT99.  All have functioned fine so far.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I too have used both mec-gar and MDS magazines for my Beretta 92fs and I will say they are good magazines, however I have never used them in any rough terain such as the desert, but they are as good as factory magazines.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:24:30 AM EDT
[#8]
MDS are factory mags for Beretta.  Mec-Gar made Beretta mags in the past.  FWIW, MDS and Mec-gar happen to be in the same city in Italy oddly enough.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Function very well.  Monitor the feed lips for cracks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The New checkmate mags do not have the feed problems like the old batch.

Chances are the checkmage mags you will be issued will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I trust the Mec-Gars as much as I do the PB marked mags for my 92 - and many hold 17rd's over PB's 15 (though some are just like PB - 15 rd's).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top