Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 7:49:06 PM EDT
I bought a NIB 92FS this morning at a gun show. Later on in the day, I ran across some ammo made by "Adcom", and decided to give it a try. I get home, take the pistol to shoot it, and its going great. The thing shoots like a dream. All of a sudden- "Click". "Click-"Boom". It did this probably 4-5 times out of 45 rounds, and each initial failure fired with one or two more trigger pulls. I didnt have any daylight left, so I went to wal-mart and bought a couple assorted boxes of 9mm shella from remington and winchester. I plan to try it again tommorow.

Is the 92fs known for any sorts of discharging problems like this, or did I get some ammo with hard primers?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I bought a NIB 92FS this morning at a gun show. Later on in the day, I ran across some ammo made by "Adcom", and decided to give it a try. I get home, take the pistol to shoot it, and its going great. The thing shoots like a dream. All of a sudden- "Click". "Click-"Boom". It did this probably 4-5 times out of 45 rounds, and each initial failure fired with one or two more trigger pulls. I didnt have any daylight left, so I went to wal-mart and bought a couple assorted boxes of 9mm shella from remington and winchester. I plan to try it again tommorow.

Is the 92fs known for any sorts of discharging problems like this, or did I get some ammo with hard primers?

Not that I've ever seen. Alot of problems can be caused by the ammo in many different firearms rifle or pistol. Just the same go through the steps of making sure nothing is wrong with the firing pin and obstructing it's path. Giving the whole new pistol a once over is always good, but it's probably just ammo. The 92 series hammer spring is in the back of the grip in a channel that is removeable by the lanyard loop. I've replaced mine in both my M9 and 92FS with a D spring which is lighter than the standard and they both runs like champs, but can always check your hammer and spring out also if the issue continues after trying different ammo and checking the pin. Good luck, it's a great pistol that once you get this worked out you'll see for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
After I logged off last night, I remembered an old trick I read about. I think it was in a Jeff Cooper article I have cut out somewhere. He suggests that when buying a used pistol, you should take a pencil, wrap the metal part around the eraser with tape, and drop it into the bore eraser-first. When you pull the trigger, the pencil should jump out of the barrel.
I tried it with my Beretta about 50 times, and each time the pencil shot out of the barrel about 2.5 feet. I dont think its a problem with the pistol, I think the Adcom ammo has hard primers. I'm going to get together with a buddy this afternoon, and try some out of his Ruger. Im also going to shoot some of the other ammo out of mine.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Adcom ammo is made in the UAE if I am not mistaken. It is supposedly decent blasting ammo, but apparently yours has some issues. I doubt it is your Beretta. To be on the safe side, clean and lube the pistol before you shoot it again.

Cleaned and lubed thoroughly last night after shooting. The front of the firing pin looks absolutely fine, if thats any indication as to anything. I'm going to shoot more of it today, and the first one (FTFire) I get, I plan to check the round to look at the primer. It just seemed funny that it was just every now and then, and a double action pull or two would fire the round. Wouldn't a light-striking hammer/firing pin be a pretty consistent problem?

And yes, it is made in the UAE.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wouldn't a light-striking hammer/firing pin be a pretty consistent problem?

Yes, IMO. Alsmost assured your problem is the ammo. Hell, I've even gone to a lighter mainspring on my 92FS & have yet to have the first light-strike problem & I use the cheapest ammo I can buy.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't a light-striking hammer/firing pin be a pretty consistent problem?

Yes, IMO. Alsmost assured your problem is the ammo. Hell, I've even gone to a lighter mainspring on my 92FS & have yet to have the first light-strike problem & I use the cheapest ammo I can buy.

My .o2

same here with the lighter mainspring.  Have run into one dud round, but it NEVER fired no matter how many times I struck it.

Surplus ammo may have really hard primers as much of it is meant for open bolt sub guns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote ammo too, and still I am surprised at the problem.  I read some police armorers put .45 1911 mainsprings in the Beretta and I tried the same thing with a 1911 spring I bought at a gun show for $ 1.00.  This apparently gives a lighter double action and I assume lighter striking firing pin.  I've had flawless reliability even with this change.  Try the pencil trick just in case, the damn thing is very ammo forgiving so your story makes me wonder...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
sounds like ammo.  a stock 92 will damn near punch the firing pin through a primer, so it's probably some bad primers causing your problems. check the dimple on the brass
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Just checking back-
I shot it yesterday afternoon, using remington 115gr FMJs. Shot a box and a half thru it, with no problems whatsoever.

Maybe I'll just take a handfull or two of the Adcom, and mix it in with my other ammo. At least it'll be good for malfunction drills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top