Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 3/8/2010 6:14:23 PM EDT
What match grade barrel would you guys upgrade to in a Caspian Frame?  Main uses are for entry level three gun and some pistol shoots?  I dont want to break the bank either!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:25:06 PM EDT
Kart or Fusion would be my recommendation.

Are you fitting it or getting drop-in (semi drop-in) no such thing as a true drop in.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:27:47 PM EDT
Kart, KKM, etc.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:40:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES_45:
Kart or Fusion would be my recommendation.

Are you fitting it or getting drop-in (semi drop-in) no such thing as a true drop in.

Agreed.  Make sure you get the right barrel....ramped or GI style.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:12:13 AM EDT
I am currently using KKM, Briley, and a Fusion Firearms..............The KKM and the Briley required fitting by a 1911 gunsmith..........the Fusion was advertised as a drop in and did just that.............
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:32:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 6mmAR15:
I am currently using KKM, Briley, and a Fusion Firearms..............The KKM and the Briley required fitting by a 1911 gunsmith..........the Fusion was advertised as a drop in and did just that.............

A drop in one will never give you as good of fit and accuracy as a fitted one.  They will give you a good barrel along the lines of a mid-range 1911 but not a high end.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:34:53 AM EDT
You can get a gunsmith-fit Kart for like $125 from Midway or Brownells.

These $125 barrels are the same barrels that can be found in $4000 customs.

Is $125+$100 gunsmith installation too much?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:14:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES_45:
Originally Posted By 6mmAR15:

A drop in one will never give you as good of fit and accuracy as a fitted one.  They will give you a good barrel along the lines of a mid-range 1911 but not a high end.

Having been in this game for 30 plus years.......I can only say I have achieved decent groups with a combination of things.............This is from a drop in Fusion barrel.........fired from a standing modified Weaver stance at 12 yards................BTW......I have paid 1911 smiths.......upwards of 200.00 to fit barrels.........

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:30:23 PM EDT
The old standby's are Kart and Bar-sto.  I think Bar-sto only offers stainless though.

For 3-gun and other "speed" games you don't need a match barrel, just properly fitting a new bushing will be plenty.
(of course if you simply WANT one, that's good enough reason to install one)
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:48:55 PM EDT
Thanks alot for the replies! No those are about what I was thinking it would cost me.  Also Caspian offers Storm Lake barrels, would there be any advantage to just let them fit it before it ships?  Are Storm Lake barrels any good?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:10:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Drock1:
Thanks alot for the replies! No those are about what I was thinking it would cost me.  Also Caspian offers Storm Lake barrels, would there be any advantage to just let them fit it before it ships?  Are Storm Lake barrels any good?

This would probably be your best answer, as it would be; cost effective and provide a decent barrel. I have a fitted Kart and works very well. That being said I have achieved the same accuracy with drop-in barrels from Ed Brown and Wilson too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:23:13 AM EDT
scheuman ultramatch barrel. They run about 150 or 175 on brownells. they have it fitted by a competant gunsmith. Dont skimp on the barrel. With 1911's, the barrel is 95% of what creates accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:34:31 AM EDT
I get very good groups with my Fusion Match and its only 4.25"
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:05:51 AM EDT
Hard to beat a Kart
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:58:29 AM EDT
I've used a couple Storm Lake drop-ins and gotten excellent reliability and accuracy out of the wrapper on a '43 USGI.

They're a good barrel for the money. Not quite as tight as a Bar-Sto or a Kart, but if you want simple and "will probably work", Storm Lake.
Top Top