Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:23:12 AM EDT
I am looking to buy a Mark ll in stainless, bull barrel.  If I can't find one, is a Mark lll just as good?  I've located a Mark lll target in stainless, but am holding out for a Mark ll for a while longer.  Any thoughts or comparisons would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I would just keep looking until a good MKII pops up.  The "bonus" features of the MKIII such as the loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect and safety lock all add unnecessary complexity to a classic design.  There are something like 3million MKII's floating around, so you shouldn't have trouble finding a new or like new one.  My MKII has about 15K rounds through it.  It hasn't jammed once since the 10K mark, when the extractor claw broke.  The cylindrical design of the receiver and bolt on these guns lends them to reliability and longevity.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
i never had a mkii and i only have a few hundred through my mkiii.  but i have to say that so far the "extras" ain't a problem for me at all.  just remember not to dry fire without a mag in and follow the directions for disassembly and reassembly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]
www.impactguns.com and www.budsgunshop.com both have some Mark II stainless bull barrels still available at good prices. I've bought from both places, and they were both easy to deal with. I didn't even have to send in a FFL copy from my transfer dealer because Buds and Impact both kept FFL's on file that previous buyers had sent in.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.  Will keep looking and check out those sites.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks like the 6 7/8" Government Target MKII models are still in the Ruger catalog.  Also check out this website:

www.tacticalsol.com
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It looks like the 6 7/8" Government Target MKII models are still in the Ruger catalog.  Also check out this website:

www.tacticalsol.com

according to the ruger website they are still making the stainless mkii 6 7/8" bull and slab bull.  i don't know why they are still making those two only but they are so if that is what you want and you want the mkii then buy one quick.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard the MKIII loaded chamber indicator doubles as a firing pin if the side of the weapon is struck
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I heard the MKIII loaded chamber indicator doubles as a firing pin if the side of the weapon is struck

The earliest ones did, the problem is long since fixed.

IMO, the side magazine release on the MKIII is worth having the added "features" for. I hate heel mag releases. The mag disconnect is the most annoying, so I removed it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Got my FFL looking for a Mark ll, 6 7/8 Target, Bull barrel, adj. sights.  Found one at impactguns.com.  Thanks for the help.  Will probably order it today if I hear back from him.  Will keep you posted.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Just heard back from my FFL.  New Markll from impactguns.com is on the way.  He should have it in a few days.  6 7/8" bull barrel. adj sights, Stainless. Scope mount and rings. $365 + his fee and shipping.  Thanks again for the help and advice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The earliest ones did, the problem is long since fixed.

IMO, the side magazine release on the MKIII is worth having the added "features" for. I hate heel mag releases. The mag disconnect is the most annoying, so I removed it.

+1 on both counts.  American style mag release kicks ass.

Jeff Quinn on Gunblast.com hits the loaded chamber indicator with a hammer a bunch and it never goes off FWIW.  He did a great review on the MK III Hunter.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I rented one today (MkIII) and I must I am hooked. I already checked a few gun shops and none of them have a MkII. I am not sure to take the plunge and buy a MkIII instead. For a lefty, it is a good model. I only had some trouble with the safety button.

I can take care of the mag disconnect like I did on my P345; Appart from that, any mayor differences?

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I rented one today (MkIII) and I must I am hooked. I already checked a few gun shops and none of them have a MkII. I am not sure to take the plunge and buy a MkIII instead. For a lefty, it is a good model. I only had some trouble with the safety button.

I can take care of the mag disconnect like I did on my P345; Appart from that, any mayor differences?

i got a mag disconnect fix from a guy over at ruger forum.  i haven't tried it as it is beyond gunsmithing comfort level.  but i will forward it to you if you want.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i got a mag disconnect fix from a guy over at ruger forum.  i haven't tried it as it is beyond gunsmithing comfort level.  but i will forward it to you if you want.

Are you talking about installing the MKII hammer and hammer bushing? It's really easy.

You can actually just remove the mag disconnect parts and retain the stock hammer. That's what I did and it works fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]
A little MKII inspiration..

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Would somebody forward me the mag disconnect info? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know if I can get JUST a 22/45 frame, so I can stick a Tactical Solutions top end on it?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#18]
i saw one on the EE a while back, just have to watch here and Rimfirecentral for the frames to pop up
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Would somebody forward me the mag disconnect info? Thanks in advance.

There are two ways to do it. One involves replacing parts, the other doesn't. Some people don't recommend the no parts replacement method, but it has worked fine for me.

Disassembly and reassembly is the same either way.

If you want to do it "properly" you need the following parts:

Mark II hammer bushing (there is also a blued one available)
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12299&title=HAMMER+BUSHING%2c+SS

Mark II hammer (this is a Volquartsen one, stock Ruger hammers are cheaper but really hard to find. Ruger won't sell them direct.)
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13864&title=RUGER%7e+MK+II+DROP-IN+ACCURIZER+KIT

The magazine disconnect parts are nos. 37 and 38. They are circled in red. These are the parts that need to "go away".

My mag disconnect has an additional "tail" so the part looks slightly different than the picture in the manual.

TO REMOVE:

Disassemble as normal. Remove the grip panels.

Push the hammer pin out from right to left. The hammer, hammer bushing, mag disconnect parts, BHO, and safety will all come out now.

Reinstall the BHO, hammer pin, and safety lever. Push the hammer pin in just far enough to hold the safety lever in. In order to get these parts in you will have to pull the sear forward slightly.

Note: in this pic the disconnecter plunger is missing. Make sure yours is still in.

Reinstall the hammer on the hammer bushing, leaving the mag disconnect parts off. Put these parts onto the disconnector lever and reinstall them in the frame. Push the hammer pin all the way through. When everything is reinstalled it will look like this.

Reassemble as normal. Done.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#20]
My new MKll came in a few days ago.  Got it taken apart and cleaned and back together.  Hope to get it out to the range and break it in before too long.  Will try to take some pics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top