Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2014 7:15:53 AM EDT
I teach Missouri ccw classes and one of my class guns has started acting up. I've got 5 of these and other than loose rear sights I've had no issues. It was sleeting on us real hard during yesterday's class so I didn't have time to trouble shoot. I plan to do this tomorrow. It's consistent just a foot high and left. Has no issues with FTF or FTE. Gun has probably 2,500 rounds through it
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Dog1, I thought about this and it was rock solid tight.

Took it over to Leanman1 tonight for assistance and test firing. Looks to be 100% sight issue. The rear sight was needing adjusted down badly and the front sight was gradually moving off center. Out of the 5 M&P22 I have, I don't think any of them were dead on to the laser stuck in the barrel.

I'd say to check yours!
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think the rear sight up that much would be obvious, but the front sight moving in the dovetail is not a good item.  More high quality by Walther/Umarex's Air Soft Division.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Dear Dog1,

My humble apologies, but when I have their CO2 BB gun pistols and shoot a M&P22, they seem quite alike, nothwithstanding which division of Walther/Umarex technically makes them.  The construction techniques and materials seem the same.  Dovetailed sights moving are not real common in the firearm world.  Smith & Wesson sells them, not makes them.  Other than having their name on the side, I don't think S&W has anything to do with the M&P22.

Perhaps you have overlooked my considerable happiness with the 9mm Shield?  I think it is by far the greatest of the almost small enough pocket pistols and by far the best of any similar size CCW gun.  I have recommended the purchase of several and seen each of them work very satisfactorily.  Smith & Wesson does make and sell them.  But note, they have their own trigger system, different than the M&P line, and do not need $100 worth of Apex parts to make them Glocklike.

As to the .380 BodyGuard, the opposite would be true from personal experience functionality wise.  The laser worked perfectly and the pistol was very accurate.  Beyond that, my sample simply did not feed and eject.  Every component of the entire gun was replaced or modified on 7 FedEx trips except for the plastic shell wrapped over the lower handle chassis.  It simply did not work.

A lot of firearms simply do not work well and some models have more than a random chance share of lemonade makers.  I have used for work, shot in other settings, tried, rented, borrowed, and used way more firearms than most people who consider themselves shooters.  And I do have some opinions based on personal observation.

Except for knowing you do not wish to see it here, I could list you probably 20 S&W revolver models that functioned perfectly out of the box over the last 50 years and continued to do so through multiple rebuilds after wearing the internals out.  I could also tell you how the BodyGuard .38 Special since its introduction a few years ago likes to disconnect its rachet cylinder rotating system if you use +P .38.  Note that it is not a S&W traditional revolver, but a newer plastic idea with a different cylinder turning system.

But if we talked of S&W auto pistols, a group of them would be hard to praise.  At work or personally, I had multiple thousand round shooting experience with:
-1076 Custom Shop builds

The 4506s were a gun and its two replacements.  The last one was the worst as it would not extract and eject if CLEAN.  It unlocked too fast, the extractor would tear a chunk out of a .45acp rim, and double feed.  The fired case would then be loose and fall out of the chamber.  You had to clean it, get it dirty again, and then carry it.  I did not put up with that for long.

My 1076 did not work and the Custom Shop 1076 replacement started to stop working after about 2500 rounds.

It is very important to differentiate between revolvers that work and autos that have been problematic.  

It simply isn't S&W bias.  It is the factual ability to describe function of their firearms.  Good or bad.

As to the M&P22, you win.  No more Umarex jokes.  And again I apologize for gratitious attempts at humor regarding German engineering.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well that would certainly do it.

I take it those are still the stock sights?

How many rounds has it seen?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dog1, I thought about this and it was rock solid tight.

Took it over to Leanman1 tonight for assistance and test firing. Looks to be 100% sight issue. The rear sight was needing adjusted down badly and the front sight was gradually moving off center. Out of the 5 M&P22 I have, I don't think any of them were dead on to the laser stuck in the barrel.

I'd say to check yours!

Well that would certainly do it.

I take it those are still the stock sights?

How many rounds has it seen?

Yes, stock sights on each of the 5. The guns have round counts ranging between 2,500 and 500. I use them for ccw classes so good months they get used a lot. They should each see another 800 roughly in the next month. The. 3 above 2 k rounds were the worst about sight alignment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top