Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2006 3:57:37 PM EDT
Found one locally nice price (at least here in sin city)
$499

Also nice was this is the model without the magazine disconnect safety!

only had a chance to put around 50 or so rounds through it, grouping is a little wide, and to the left
I'm attributing that to the unfamiliarity with the gun...

the guys at the shop let me fondle a number of pistols, and the S& M&P just felt the best to me...

will probably add night sights, and an extended slide release in the near future...

Link Posted: 6/24/2006 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
let us know how well it shoots.  im looking at one in 9mm/45acp and would like to see how well it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
going to buy one in a week.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm planning to get a MP40 by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Just picked up mine about a week ago and I'm loving it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2006 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I held one for the first time this past week and just got to dry fire it.  I was extremely impressed and plan to pick one up as soon as I am able to in 9mm.  S&W sure got it right with the M&P!
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not seen a 9mm yet but planning on taking a serious look at one.  One question I have is the operation of the slide release.  Does the slide release automatically if you insert a loaded magazine after the slide was locked back after the last round fired?
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
On my .40 model, the slide releases automatically when you slam a mag in. A simple admin style mag insert wont release the slide.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On my .40 model, the slide releases automatically when you slam a mag in. A simple admin style mag insert wont release the slide.

so when you insert a loaded mag into the pistol the slide falls forward and loads the first round.    just by inserting the magazine.   that does'nt sound right,  or safe to me
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My concern is consistency.  I shoot some IDPA matches.  I see the advantage of the slide releasing with a mag insert.  It would be a disadvantage if I'm accustom to the release and then it does not if I didn't "slam" it in hard enough.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so when you insert a loaded mag into the pistol the slide falls forward and loads the first round.    just by inserting the magazine.   that does'nt sound right,  or safe to me

I've seen lots of handguns that do this. I've read of Glock shooters using the technique consistentley, and I do the same with my Baby Eagle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont see any safety concerns with it. I do believe Smith actually designed this feature to aid in faster reloads.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#12]
all im saying is that would be unsafe to a new shooter  
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I've shot and/or owned a bunch of S&W autos. 9's, one or two .40's and a few .45's. I never had one slam the slide forward when inserting the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I have two Glocks a 17 and 35 and both consistently close the slide when a loaded mag is slammed home.  We are not talking about inserted firmly but slammed in and I love it.  I use to shoot a good bit of IPSC and not having to adjust my grip was a huge advantage to me personally.  I see no safety issues, I shot Glocks for a long time before I noticed someone do it in a match and I asked how he modified his and he said he didn't just slam the mag in real hard with the muzzle pointed slightly up.  The next time I went to the starting line I locked the slide back and slammed a mag in and presto the slide closed and I was ready to go, been doing it every since.  I really have to slam the mag in the G17 for it to work consistently, but it does not have nearly the round count of the 35.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I just looked at an MP9 at the Cheaper Than Dirt store in Ft Worth.

All I can say is that my Glock 17 is in imminent danger of going bye bye. Compared to the MP9 the Glock feels like a brick in my hand, where the MP feels as good to me as any handgun with any grip ever has!

Link Posted: 7/12/2006 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:

Smith and wesson designed the M&P's Slide to automaticly close when a mag is inserted. Here is why it does it.

If you remover the Mag and lock the slide back manually. main word being MANUALLY and then reinsert the Mag the slide will not close unless you hit the latch.

Now say you just shot your clip after we have loaded it, now the slide is locked open by the last shot. drop your Mag and insert another loaded one and the slide AUTOMATICLY closes

This was done to take strain off shooters in a life and death shoot out between bad guys and the good guys

Link Posted: 7/16/2006 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smith and wesson designed the M&P's Slide to automaticly close when a mag is inserted. Here is why it does it.

If you remover the Mag and lock the slide back manually. main word being MANUALLY and then reinsert the Mag the slide will not close unless you hit the latch.

Now say you just shot your clip after we have loaded it, now the slide is locked open by the last shot. drop your Mag and insert another loaded one and the slide AUTOMATICLY closes

This was done to take strain off shooters in a life and death shoot out between bad guys and the good guys

My M&P 9mm will not close when reloading with a magazine, even after the slide is locked back after emptying one.

Consequently, I prefer that it doesn't slam home automatically.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it not safe?  If you don't want the gun to be ready to fire, don't stick a freaking magazine in it!

If you want to load a mag but keep the chamber empty, don't load at slide lock.

Lots of guns behave this way when you slam a mag in.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it not safe?  If you don't want the gun to be ready to fire, don't stick a freaking magazine in it!

If you want to load a mag but keep the chamber empty, don't load at slide lock.

Lots of guns behave this way when you slam a mag in.

read my post from 7/9  
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen lots of handguns that do this. I've read of Glock shooters using the technique consistentley, and I do the same with my Baby Eagle.

According to the local "Glock armorers", Glock Inc. actually teaches the slide releasing with a stout slap to the base of the mag as a "feature" of the pistol.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont see any safety concerns with it. I do believe Smith actually designed this feature to aid in faster reloads.

My G35 does that but I never noticed if my other models do that
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats on the new pistol. NOW, where are you thinking of getting your mags from?
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Congrats on the new pistol. NOW, where are you thinking of getting your mags from?

I was hoping to order some additional mags when I order my M&P 9mm.

As for the slide chambering a round when I slam the mag home, GOOD; I'm used to it happening with my Glocks so I'm glad the M&Ps do it as well. Less of a transition
Link Posted: 7/30/2006 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Their website appears to only be offering 10 rders. Is that all they will give to the general public?
Link Posted: 7/30/2006 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#25]
CDNN Investments has 17 rounders on their site, factory S&W.

$32 or thereabouts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#26]
What have you guys been paying for the 17 round capacity M&P 9MM?  How about mags?  I just purchased mine yesterday locally for $499.00.  Damn seven day waiting period.  Can't pick it up till next Wed even with a CCP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I paid $469 for the M&P 9mm. As for mags, they're out of stock everywhere I've seen, and they're running $32 or thereabouts. That's the huge and only disappointment with the M&P, the price of mags sucks....that is if you could find them to begin with.

This will I'm sure be remedied in the future, but unless MecGar or someone starts making mags, they'll remain expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top