Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2009 11:33:58 PM EDT
The M&P 45c is about 1/2 inch taller in the grip than the M&P9/40c. If S&W made a compact 9 and 40 the same size as the M&P 45 (roughly G19 size) do you think they could match the Glock compact capacity with that extra 1/2 inch? So, 15 rounds in 9mm and 13 in .40sw?

I love the size of the M&P 45c, but I don't want a .45, as I can't afford it. Do you think they'll ever come out with a 9/40 of this kind? I would sell my full-size for an M&P45c/G19 sized M&P in 9/40....

Just curious as to what you all think.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I sure hope that they do. I just got a 40c and it almost seems a bit too small. The G19 is a perfect all around frame size and I bet that adding a half inch to the M&P grip would bump capacity up to 13/15.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

<a href="http://www.topgunsupply.com/x-grip-smith-wesson-m-amp-p-compact.html" target="_blank">http://www.topgunsupply.com/images/D/XGRIPgrp.jpg</a>

While those are cool, I was thinking more like the size of the M&P 45c, which is 4.8'', as opposed to the full size, which is 5.5''. I wonder if they could fit the capacity of the G19/23 into a compact the size of the M&P45c?
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I sure hope that they do. I just got a 40c and it almost seems a bit too small. The G19 is a perfect all around frame size and I bet that adding a half inch to the M&P grip would bump capacity up to 13/15.

If they can fit 8 of .45, I'm sure they can fit 15/13 of 9/40. They made a G19 sized .45, when Glock themselves would not. Now they should move on to the 9 and 40.

Like I said, I would sell my full size for an M&P45c sized 9.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In time you will probably see S&W start to make different versions of the M&P available, but my guess is that won't happen for quite a while yet. The standard M&P in 9mm / .40 is slightly smaller than the G17 / 22 and the Compact slightly smaller than the G19 / 23 (I agree that the Compact seems a bit too small for me as well) but they are selling very well, and I just don't see a big enough demand for a version between the two for S&W to devote resources to building one yet. JMO

Yes, I suppose if the demand were high, they would have made it. I just like perfect all-around pistols like the G19/23, and would be sooooo happy if S&W would make a 9/40 compact that size, with the same capacity. They already made the .45acp happen. It's wonderful. Just think of a 9mm that size........

I can dream, can't I?
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In time you will probably see S&W start to make different versions of the M&P available, but my guess is that won't happen for quite a while yet. The standard M&P in 9mm / .40 is slightly smaller than the G17 / 22 and the Compact slightly smaller than the G19 / 23 (I agree that the Compact seems a bit too small for me as well) but they are selling very well, and I just don't see a big enough demand for a version between the two for S&W to devote resources to building one yet. JMO

I agree.  If you really must have a G19 size M&P send it to Dan Burwell and he will chop the grip to 19 size.
Chopped 19
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  If you really must have a G19 size M&P send it to Dan Burwell and he will chop the grip to 19 size.
Chopped 19

That would be the size of the M&P 9 compact, not the G19. The 9c feels a bit too small. The 45c feels just right, and is .5'' larger in the grip than the 9c. If I wanted a grip the size of a 9c, I would just get a 9c. I really don't care about slide length.

I guess if I want something the size of a G19, I'll have to get a G19. Gen 4 is coming, anyway...
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chopped 19

That would be the size of the M&P 9 compact, not the G19. The 9c feels a bit too small. The 45c feels just right, and is .5'' larger in the grip than the 9c. If I wanted a grip the size of a 9c, I would just get a 9c. I really don't care about slide length.

I guess if I want something the size of a G19, I'll have to get a G19. Gen 4 is coming, anyway...

Check with Dan, I am sure his chopped M&P is the size of a  G19 frame.  Wouldn't make much sense for him to chop it to the factory size gun.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chopped 19

Check with Dan, I am sure his chopped M&P is the size of a  G19 frame.  Wouldn't make much sense for him to chop it to the factory size gun.

Well, actually, it would make lots of sense, especially seeing as how there is no intermediate sixe magazine. Chopping it to the same size as the 9C would allow the shorter mag to work.

The G19 is a helluva pistol...you won't go wrong with one for sure.

Sorry but I don't see the rationale of having a custom gunsmith cut down your frame for $100 when you can buy one from the factory. Dan cuts the frame down along with one magazine to G19 proportions then you can use full size mags as backup.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Since S&W doesn't offer the longer barrel with the compact grip, he chops a fullsize down.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

<a href="http://www.topgunsupply.com/x-grip-smith-wesson-m-amp-p-compact.html" target="_blank">http://www.topgunsupply.com/images/D/XGRIPgrp.jpg</a>

Thanks for posting this.  I bought myself a few.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for posting this.  I bought myself a few.

I bought one.. then I went and bought another (while I am a topgunsupply fan, I got mine on Ebay). These feel really great in your hand.   It's like you get two guns.. the compact model for CCW then a full size with higher capacity.  They can keep their Glock 19's.. M&P 9c is my candidate for best chunk of plastic in the market.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree that we probably won't see a G19 size M&P 9, but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard. The M&P 45C frame is already the correct size, and they could use the same top end as the M&P 9 full size. Seems like all they'd have to do is adjust the magwell dimensions on the M&P 45C frame, slap on the current M&P 9 top end, and crank out some appropriate size mags.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree that we probably won't see a G19 size M&P 9, but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard. The M&P 45C frame is already the correct size, and they could use the same top end as the M&P 9 full size. Seems like all they'd have to do is adjust the magwell dimensions on the M&P 45C frame, slap on the current M&P 9 top end, and crank out some appropriate size mags.

Especially since (according to Bud's police supply) all the M&Ps are the same width, whether they be 9, 40, or 45. That ought to make it real easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top