Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 9:41:54 PM EDT
I have recently acquired for cheap a very newish Auto Ordnance full sized 1911. I want to keep it authentic GI style, I have some pistols that already fill the tactical bill, so what needs to be done to make it reliably feed ? It doesn't like ANYTHING even remotely truncated, and sometimes chokes on hardball.
First step is to ditch the magazines and get some reliable mags: reccomendations?
I live near Terry Tussey's shop, so I may take it in for a reliability package if I can't get it to run on my own . I just got it so cheap, i'd like to keep it that way.
What do y'all suggest to a dude who just wants a running 1911 for nostalgia and plinking?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Info on Terry Tussey:

louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2688

As far as feeding, look first at the extractor.  Loosen up the tension.  I've yet to come across a factory AO that had a proper extractor radius or proper tension.   Also, the feedramp and barrel throat usually leave a lot to be desired on an AO.  

If you want reliable mags, Wilson 47Ds and 47s are hard to beat, but they defintiely don't fit the retro look.  Try the extractor thing first though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't speak to the extractor issue as mine was apparently fine out of the box and required no attention. That being said, the feed ramp was rough and the supplied mag useless. After stripping the gun down, I polished the ramp with some 400 then 800 emery paper with some oil on it and wrapped around my finger. After getting the ramp smooth it got some cold blue. That and Wilson 47D mags made it 100% with at least a dozen different brands of HPs. It even feeds and cycles CCI shotshells. The sole exception was the Speer Lawman HP, AKA Flying Ashtrays.
It also does fine with MecGar and Shootingstar mags.
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
you can get blue shootingstars ...and for originality...you can get gi 7 rd stripped mags..from numrich....put the ss type followers and decent springs in them......polishing the ramp is always a thing to do....make it mirror shine...you can go to 1200 grit paper if you need to...i would "clean up".the chamber also....put some 600 or so paper through it....if you stop at the hardware store...the wire brushes for cleaning copper pipes come in various sizes....make excellent chamber brushes for about $1.00....make sure there are no burrs....and if the bbl / slide lockup is good...this usually takes care of feeding troubles.....it`s fun to experiment....and you can do it without spending excessive bucks......numrich is ...gun parts .com......if you need......
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Gunmonkey -

Listen to Hobbs5624. He really knows what he is talking about. The extractor is often the cause of feeding problems. If the extractor is not properly bevelled or tensioned, or is not capable of holding the tension, the round will NOT slip up the breech face.

Polishing the feed ramp and the breech face of the slide should be done AFTER the extractor issue has been dealt with as described by Hobbs. AO's can be made to work all they can be a PITA to do so. Good luck.

Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
i just bought one also. no feed issues to speak of, 1 stove pipe out of a 100 rnds. I have not tried HP's yet. I agree on the comments about the ramp. Mine is rough there and needs some polishing.
K
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought  a Kahr/Auto Ordnance 1911 a couple of weeks ago.  I have been to the range once so far.  In 100 rounds I did not have a failure to feed or eject.  I did have multiple cases of a failure to return to battery.  In each case a small push on the slide was sufficient to return to battery.

It was suggested that wilson 47d mags would do wonders for reliability issues.  I have since bought a couple and plan to try them this weekend if I don't get snowed in.  I was using WWB 230 gr ball ammo.

Any suggestions from the experts?

By the way, these were the first 100 rounds down the pipe, so I wasn't too disappointed in the reliability.

I am going to try some of the Wal-Mart Remington hollowpoints next trip.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep finding glue on 2-5 of the top layer of rounds in a 100 rnd WWB. If I don't notice it while loading mags, they nosedive every time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
you can get blue shootingstars ...and for originality...you can get gi 7 rd stripped mags..from numrich....put the ss type followers and decent springs in them......polishing the ramp is always a thing to do....make it mirror shine...you can go to 1200 grit paper if you need to...i would "clean up".the chamber also....put some 600 or so paper through it....if you stop at the hardware store...the wire brushes for cleaning copper pipes come in various sizes....make excellent chamber brushes for about $1.00....make sure there are no burrs....and if the bbl / slide lockup is good...this usually takes care of feeding troubles.....it`s fun to experiment....and you can do it without spending excessive bucks......numrich is ...gun parts .com......if you need......

... .... .. .....  ...  .... ....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

........    
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

........    

...  .... .. .....   ...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#11]
.......i dunno   jarhead   the 5 is confusing me.......
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
.......i dunno   jarhead   the 5 is confusing me.......

..He...he....he.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the extractor tension.  Gravity Tester and I rebuilt an Auto Ordanance over the holidays and I spent more time getting that right than anything else.  Polishing the feed ramp and the throat of the barrel will also help but do NOT change any angles or remove anything other than machine marks.  The feed ramp geometry is that way for a reason so don't mess with it, especially the top edge of the feed ramp that ends near where the throat of the barrel begins....leave that be except for polishing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top