Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/19/2005 12:18:43 PM EDT
I went to the gun show this morning and finally found what I had searched for for over a year: A Bulgarian Makarov for 160 dollars out the door. Fantastic!!

Trouble is, the thing was coated with the most hideous cosmoline you could imagine. How to get it off the pistol?

Rather than use a caustic mix of highly flamable chemicals, I decided to try a tip I heard about from a veteran collector of milsurp stuff, and use one of the hand held steam machines that are on the market. It was good advice.

With only the steamer, a rag, and a couple of Q tips, I melted off all the cosmoline and got her cleaner than she has been since she was made. A little bit of lube in the right places, and she was ready for re-assembly.

Now all that is left is to order some ammo and go have fun!

The steam cleaner is the best, safest, and simplest way I have ever seen to remove cosmoline. Give it a try sometime!
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 10:20:56 PM EDT
Interesting. I have heard of people using hot water but this is hot water and pressure. Just might work.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:41:30 PM EDT
Been using the steamer for a couple of years and it works better then anything I have used over the last 40 years of collecting. Does not hurt finish, gets into the cracks and crevices, and the part comes out hot enough that it dries in a few minutes, no rust to worry about. And my wife thinks I bought it to help her, double bonus.

Also great for cleaning bores after shooting corrosive ammo. Even use it on wood as the amount of water is small which does not raise grain, but dents will rise with a little time.

Just watch your fingers as parts get hot.

PS Got mine at Costco for $100 which was a great bargain. I comes with a long hose which is very handy. Eureka brand. Hard to find, worth it. John McP
Top Top