Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 7:52:23 PM EDT
I have few things I would like to discuss.

#1, I currently have a bulgarian Makarov. Is there another semi auto pistol that can match this one in terms of price, ammo availability, reliability and inexpensive ammo and mags? I guessing that only another surplus pistol might do the trick.

#2 What is the best self defense ammo in terms of bang for the buck or quality for the dollar for the makarov? I currently only have cheap fmj ammo.

#3 What is some good inexpensive practice ammo for the makarov?

#4 I want another pistol to keep in my truck, I was thinking of a .357 pistol snub with a concealed hammer or shroud. I will keep this pistol unloaded separate from the ammo as to follow my states laws, however I was thinking the snub .357 with concealed hammer might be good in case I ever need to conceal it for carry. I was thinking a revolver would be good because i can use speed loaders instead of keeping an autopistol and having the mag springs wearing out.

I dont want to spend alot of money, preferabbly less then $300 for the pistol and speedloaders together, and I want a caliber that has cheap available ammo for practice, so no exotic calibers please.

Would I be better off just buying another Makarov to throw in my truck?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have few things I would like to discuss.

#1, I currently have a bulgarian Makarov. Is there another semi auto pistol that can match this one in terms of price, ammo availability, reliability and inexpensive ammo and mags? I guessing that only another surplus pistol might do the trick.

#2 What is the best self defense ammo in terms of bang for the buck or quality for the dollar for the makarov? I currently only have cheap fmj ammo.

#3 What is some good inexpensive practice ammo for the makarov?

#4 I want another pistol to keep in my truck, I was thinking of a .357 pistol snub with a concealed hammer or shroud. I will keep this pistol unloaded separate from the ammo as to follow my states laws, however I was thinking the snub .357 with concealed hammer might be good in case I ever need to conceal it for carry. I was thinking a revolver would be good because i can use speed loaders instead of keeping an autopistol and having the mag springs wearing out.

I dont want to spend alot of money, preferabbly less then $300 for the pistol and speedloaders together, and I want a caliber that has cheap available ammo for practice, so no exotic calibers please.

You might very well be better off with a second Mak.. Interchangeability of ammo, mags, parts and training makes for a good combo.  That said, check out the CZ-75 series of 9mm and .40 handguns.  My 75 9mm was about at the $300 mark.  They are accurate, ergonomic, and very very nice to shoot.  Best bang for the buck in a hi-cap I'd say, and you can't do better than 9mm for cost or availability.  Mags are reasonable and interchangeable with a wide selection of other guns, though I haven't really seen a massive influx of new mags or LEO only's since the ban expired.

I'll defer to those in the know for the defense ammo, but I wouldn't hesitate to feed the Maks a diet of whatever russian steelcase you get cheapest for practice.  Seriously, you aren't going to hurt the gun.. Not by a long shot
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the cz75

you won't be dissapointed
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
i would try for a 9mm, at the least

+1 for autoloader and springs wont wear out (unless they are repeatedly loaded and unloaded) and a CZ would be nice

browning hi-powered or a used glock might work
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I would look into the inexpensive used S&W .38 revolvers that you see advertised at J&G in SGN.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#6]

If ya alreasy have a MAk and can hit with it, a second would be good for ease of operation. Less confusing in a stressful encounter if ya have a familiar gun. Personally I would go to a larger caliber for better stopping power. Bottom line though is shot placemnet.  I got my pistols with similar grip angles and the samre type of safeties , so no confusion if I need em in a hurry.  As for ammo , any performance amoo should do, as long as it cycles without jams . Speer Gold Dots, Win. Failsafes or Silvertips ect., ect. If you find HP jam try the power ball ammo. Hope this helps,.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd say get another Mak.  

The next choice is the Czech CZ52 @ about $100.  Shoots a high velocity 30 cal round. Classified as a C&R.

If you are interested in a 38. I have a 4" Taurus that is a copy of the S&W Mod 10 heavy barrel that I would be willing to part with cheaply.

I also have an Astra 357 4" . It is basicaly a S&W model 19 copy.   I got both of these guns from a buddy who bought a security guard company and these were part of the corp assets.  Again, I'd be willing to part with it cheaply.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top