Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 1/8/2005 7:52:23 PM EDT
I have few things I would like to discuss.

#1, I currently have a bulgarian Makarov. Is there another semi auto pistol that can match this one in terms of price, ammo availability, reliability and inexpensive ammo and mags? I guessing that only another surplus pistol might do the trick.

#2 What is the best self defense ammo in terms of bang for the buck or quality for the dollar for the makarov? I currently only have cheap fmj ammo.

#3 What is some good inexpensive practice ammo for the makarov?

#4 I want another pistol to keep in my truck, I was thinking of a .357 pistol snub with a concealed hammer or shroud. I will keep this pistol unloaded separate from the ammo as to follow my states laws, however I was thinking the snub .357 with concealed hammer might be good in case I ever need to conceal it for carry. I was thinking a revolver would be good because i can use speed loaders instead of keeping an autopistol and having the mag springs wearing out.

I dont want to spend alot of money, preferabbly less then $300 for the pistol and speedloaders together, and I want a caliber that has cheap available ammo for practice, so no exotic calibers please.

Would I be better off just buying another Makarov to throw in my truck?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:48:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By usamma:
I have few things I would like to discuss.

#1, I currently have a bulgarian Makarov. Is there another semi auto pistol that can match this one in terms of price, ammo availability, reliability and inexpensive ammo and mags? I guessing that only another surplus pistol might do the trick.

#2 What is the best self defense ammo in terms of bang for the buck or quality for the dollar for the makarov? I currently only have cheap fmj ammo.

#3 What is some good inexpensive practice ammo for the makarov?

#4 I want another pistol to keep in my truck, I was thinking of a .357 pistol snub with a concealed hammer or shroud. I will keep this pistol unloaded separate from the ammo as to follow my states laws, however I was thinking the snub .357 with concealed hammer might be good in case I ever need to conceal it for carry. I was thinking a revolver would be good because i can use speed loaders instead of keeping an autopistol and having the mag springs wearing out.

I dont want to spend alot of money, preferabbly less then $300 for the pistol and speedloaders together, and I want a caliber that has cheap available ammo for practice, so no exotic calibers please.

You might very well be better off with a second Mak.. Interchangeability of ammo, mags, parts and training makes for a good combo.  That said, check out the CZ-75 series of 9mm and .40 handguns.  My 75 9mm was about at the $300 mark.  They are accurate, ergonomic, and very very nice to shoot.  Best bang for the buck in a hi-cap I'd say, and you can't do better than 9mm for cost or availability.  Mags are reasonable and interchangeable with a wide selection of other guns, though I haven't really seen a massive influx of new mags or LEO only's since the ban expired.

I'll defer to those in the know for the defense ammo, but I wouldn't hesitate to feed the Maks a diet of whatever russian steelcase you get cheapest for practice.  Seriously, you aren't going to hurt the gun.. Not by a long shot
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:05:24 PM EDT
+1 on the cz75

you won't be dissapointed
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:01:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:34:08 AM EDT
i would try for a 9mm, at the least

+1 for autoloader and springs wont wear out (unless they are repeatedly loaded and unloaded) and a CZ would be nice

browning hi-powered or a used glock might work
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:51:15 AM EDT
I would look into the inexpensive used S&W .38 revolvers that you see advertised at J&G in SGN.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:06:29 AM EDT

If ya alreasy have a MAk and can hit with it, a second would be good for ease of operation. Less confusing in a stressful encounter if ya have a familiar gun. Personally I would go to a larger caliber for better stopping power. Bottom line though is shot placemnet.  I got my pistols with similar grip angles and the samre type of safeties , so no confusion if I need em in a hurry.  As for ammo , any performance amoo should do, as long as it cycles without jams . Speer Gold Dots, Win. Failsafes or Silvertips ect., ect. If you find HP jam try the power ball ammo. Hope this helps,.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:29:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 7:34:29 AM EDT by monkeyman]
I'd say get another Mak.  

The next choice is the Czech CZ52 @ about $100.  Shoots a high velocity 30 cal round. Classified as a C&R.

If you are interested in a 38. I have a 4" Taurus that is a copy of the S&W Mod 10 heavy barrel that I would be willing to part with cheaply.

I also have an Astra 357 4" . It is basicaly a S&W model 19 copy.   I got both of these guns from a buddy who bought a security guard company and these were part of the corp assets.  Again, I'd be willing to part with it cheaply.

Top Top