Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/27/2006 6:58:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 7:29:15 AM EDT by New4John]
I was pretty surprised when I took the mainspring housing off my SA GI and the sping popped out.
There's no pin in it. The hole is there, but no pin to hold the cap down.

This is a newer SA however, so it had the trigger locking device in the mainspring housing, is that why it's not pinned? I'm thinking if it was pinned the lock woldn't work.

Anyone know if this is normal?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:39:10 AM EDT
There is no retaining pin. If there was, the gun won't work. The mainspring cap in an ILS msh is longer than normal due to the locking system and will not travel fully with a pin in place. The pin hole is there so that you can stick the little bent wire tool from the accessory package into the hole to hold the innards in place when you pull the msh out. Do not install a retaining pin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:06:21 PM EDT
Should you choose to replace the mainspring cap and the mainspring, you may then use the mainspring housing pin to hold the assembly in place. The ILS system uses an shorter mainspring and a different style mainspring cap that do not allow the use of the mainspring housing pin. In my opinion this was a great leap backwards on the part of Springfield. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:34:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911builder:
Should you choose to replace the mainspring cap and the mainspring, you may then use the mainspring housing pin to hold the assembly in place. The ILS system uses an shorter mainspring and a different style mainspring cap that do not allow the use of the mainspring housing pin. In my opinion this was a great leap backwards on the part of Springfield. Charles the Gunsmith.

So I can replace with spec spring and cap, pin it, all while leaving the ILS in and it will function then?
(the gun that is not the ILS )
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:46:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By New4John:

Originally Posted By 1911builder:

So I can replace with spec spring and cap, pin it, all while leaving the ILS in and it will function then?
(the gun that is not the ILS )

Yes.

FYI, the MS pin hole is not beveled on the ILS MSH, so the pin won't fit flush like it does on a regular 1911. This doesn't seem to affect anything in my SA however.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:59:00 PM EDT
I jus replaced my backstrap with a flat non ILS piece. I didnt put any PIN in it. Gun functions fine. Is the pin mainly to help disassembly? or does it have more vital roles?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:40:30 PM EDT
The mainspring housing pin's function is to retain the complete mainspring assembly in the housing. This aids in disassembly of the frame for detail cleaning and/or repair or maintenance.

The ILS function is inoperative with the 'guts' replaced so don't try to engage the system lock. The pistol will shoot and function fine with the ILS system rendered non-functional.

Aesthetics may require you to replace the mainspring housing but it really is not necessary.

Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:54:32 PM EDT
Thanks Charles.
Great info
Top Top