Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:46:29 AM EST
Yesterday I installed a Wilson Combat MSH and magwell on my Kimber Custom II. Other than a slight amount of rub between the MSH and the grip safety, the install went pretty smoothly.

So I decided to load an empty magazine into the gun to test everything and my magazine rubs against the back wall of the magwell so the magazine jams about half way in. I knew I might have to do a little fitting to get everything to work...but now that I'm at that point I find myself becoming a little timid.

I have a nice file I could use to remove the extra metal on the top of the MSH (for MSH-grip safety fitment) and I could use the file on the back wall of the magwell...but I'm chickening out. Should I just man up and do it? Is a file the right tool? I'm afraid to use a dremel...I don't want to take off too much metal.

If I decide to do the filing, what's a good paint/finish I can use to get me by for a few months until I can get the gun Melonited? (my September birthday present)

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:36:43 AM EST
If your nervous to do the filing then send it to your local gunsmith. I sent mine to the local shop and it only cost me $25.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:01:28 AM EST
I'm curious, I'm new the 1911 platform, I just got my first one, but what do magwells actually do?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:42:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By MrBackpack:
I'm curious, I'm new the 1911 platform, I just got my first one, but what do magwells actually do?

They allow for easier magazine loading. Imagine a big funnel that leads to your magazine well...much easier to hit a big target rather than a small one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:37:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By artsohc:
Originally Posted By MrBackpack:

They allow for easier magazine loading. Imagine a big funnel that leads to your magazine well...much easier to hit a big target rather than a small one.

Keeping your square is hard when hand filing by hand.. I like using a vertcal belt sander. Your local gusmith wouldn"t charge much to do it and it would be squared.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:08:12 PM EST
OK...I'll go to my gunsmith

I'll have pics up in a few days when my grips arrive.
Top Top