Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/3/2005 8:54:41 AM EDT
Do you guys have some opinions on Pro Mag??? They seem to be a decent price but i don't know much about them. I have a Firestorm 1911 fullsize
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 3:02:58 PM EDT by Alien]
Pro-Mag is the worst.

The two best and most highly regarded brands are generally:

Wilson (47Ds are the most popular)
Chip McCormick Power Mags

Mec-Gar is also great. They make factory mags for many firearms manufacturers.

Also, Metalform is supposed to be good but I have had problems with the 2 Metalform mags that I have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:11:06 PM EDT
Wilson's, you pay more than the others, but I have never had one go bad. If I did, lifetime replacement.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:52:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alien:
Pro-Mag is the worst.

Also, Metalform is supposed to be good but I have had problems with the 2 Metalform mags that I have.

+1

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:28:06 PM EDT

Pro-Mag is the worst.

I have had slide lock failures and FTF problems with Chip Mccormick shooting stars. Actually, I have had nothing but problems with 8-round flush-fit mags in all three of my 1911's. That's why I stick with 7-round mags. YMMV.

I'm not sure if the Power mags are any better than the shooting stars because I have no experience with them.

How do Wilson 47D's accomplish 8-round flush-fit capability without resorting to a spongy spring-steel follower? Is it just that the follower is shorter?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:56:42 PM EDT
Yes, the follower is shorter, and plastic.
I've never had a problem with a Wilson mag.
I've heard good things and bad things about the CMC mags.
Don't waste your money on a Mec-Gar 1911 mag. They make great Sig etc. mags, hell they make 'em for Sig, but the 1911 mag I got from them was just as bad as a Pro-Mag.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:23:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LeatherneckOIF2:
Yes, the follower is shorter, and plastic.
I've never had a problem with a Wilson mag.I've heard good things and bad things about the CMC mags.
Don't waste your money on a Mec-Gar 1911 mag. They make great Sig etc. mags, hell they make 'em for Sig, but the 1911 mag I got from them was just as bad as a Pro-Mag.

The ONLY mags I use in my 1911s are Wilson 47Ds. I have NEVER had a problem of any kind. As far as I'm concerned they are the "gold" standard for 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:51:24 PM EDT
Well funny thing my Kimber works 100% with Chip McCormick mags (not even power mag) but the Wilson I had always jammed on the last round (on the last round only). I'm going to give Wilson another try but since CMC is working just fine I'm not in a hurry.

I've also been told Mec-gar mags are great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:04:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 7:12:00 PM EDT by drobs]

Originally Posted By lu380:

Pro-Mag is the worst.

I have had slide lock failures and FTF problems with Chip Mccormick shooting stars. Actually, I have had nothing but problems with 8-round flush-fit mags in all three of my 1911's. That's why I stick with 7-round mags. YMMV.

I'm not sure if the Power mags are any better than the shooting stars because I have no experience with them.

How do Wilson 47D's accomplish 8-round flush-fit capability without resorting to a spongy spring-steel follower? Is it just that the follower is shorter?

I too have had nothing but problems with Chip McComiks. I probably have 6 to 8 of them lying around here with useless springs. Not sure which is the 47D but I don't care for the Wilson 8rd mags. The springs on the Wilson stainless 8rd mags, I've used, wear out if left loaded for very long.

Of recent I have had the most luck with hard to find Pachmayr 7rd mags and Novak 8rd mags.

Been thinking, I should spend some money at Wolf Springs and try to bring all these CMC's I have laying around back up to speed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
The Chips McCormick mags will scratch the shit out of a aluminum framed pistol.
Top Top