Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 7:02:33 AM EDT
Now that the feeding frenzy has started I'm wondering what to stay away from and what to snatch up.

I'm looking for S&W 59 series steel mags and so far I've only seen Eagle and Promag as names but have no clue who they are and if they're any good.  The only mags I have for this thing came direct from S&W and I'm not sure if they make them for themselves or contract out.  I think they're stainless.

Anyway who can I trust and where's a good place to get them.  I tried gunbroker which is where I found a bunch of promags for sale.  Or might this be something I just have to wait to see if S&W gets on the wagon and starts making them in bulk again?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Factory mags: BEST!

Mec-Gar is a good aftermarket maker - they are an OEM for many companies.
Metalform - Wilson combat - McCormick -  are good 1911 magazine makers
Pro-Mag seems OK.

Everyone else is CRAP!!

Av.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#3]
A little something to remember about MegCar mags...

It is true they they are fully capable of making excellent magazines, and do so on a regular basis, but there may...or may not be...a difference between the mags they produce for retail sale and those thjey make to say, Sig or Beretta factory specs. These tend to be made on contract and they will, of course, build the factory whatever it wants. I have seen the specs for Beretta's mags built by them, and they are very, very strict about such things as double heat treatment, etc. In addition, if they find a single bad one in a lot, they reject them all...or at least they used to. Considering the fact that they cost only a bit less than factory mags, I would not take the chance if buying them for serious use.

Having said that, I will also admit that I have several of their Sig 220 mags that have worked flawlessly for years, while I had two factory-provided mags that separated at the rear seams!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Pro-Mag seems OK.

Everyone else is CRAP!!

Av.

+1 on the factory mag and mec-gar part. I don't trust Promag tho.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pro-Mag seems OK.

Everyone else is CRAP!!

Av.

+1 on the factory mag and mec-gar part. I don't trust Promag tho.

+1

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
how could we be this far into the thread without trashing usa mags?  consistanly the crappiest product i have encountered in the gun industry.

everytime i sent one back, they sent me an equally non functional replacement, along with a tshirt.  didn't need to buy workout shirts for years......
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
how could we be this far into the thread without trashing usa mags?  

I once bought a USA mag for an EAA Witness, and it would not fit into the magazine well!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
15 round (orange follower) that are S&W factory.

Those are exactly the ones.  What's an acceptable price on them?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A little something to remember about MegCar mags...

It is true they they are fully capable of making excellent magazines, and do so on a regular basis, but there may...or may not be...a difference between the mags they produce for retail sale and those thjey make to say, Sig or Beretta factory specs. These tend to be made on contract and they will, of course, build the factory whatever it wants. I have seen the specs for Beretta's mags built by them, and they are very, very strict about such things as double heat treatment, etc. In addition, if they find a single bad one in a lot, they reject them all...or at least they used to. Considering the fact that they cost only a bit less than factory mags, I would not take the chance if buying them for serious use.

Having said that, I will also admit that I have several of their Sig 220 mags that have worked flawlessly for years, while I had two factory-provided mags that separated at the rear seams!

Most of the autopistol companies contract to Mec-Gar for their mags. Metal-form makes mags for Colt & McCormik(?). So there shouldn't be problem. For Mec-Gar's ads, they claim to the be world largest OEM of factory mags.

I've got some Pro-Mag mags for my Baretta, Sig 229, CZ75, they all work like a champ, no feeding or ejection failures.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Factory and Mecgar----EVERYTHING else is junk-----including Pro-mag.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#13]
i have a sig 220 in .45acp with 2 factory mags (8rd) and 2 promag (10 rd)  the factory works great, but the promags only work reliably when they are down loaded to 7!!!!!  on that note promag fucking sucks!!!!!!

Remman
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Avoid USA magazines, they are the crappiest of crap available.  Good prices though...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
15 round (orange follower) that are S&W factory.

Those are exactly the ones.  What's an acceptable price on them?  

I have seen them go for $29 to $39 in the past.  Now that the ban is over, adjust accordingly.

That's the problem, I haven't been seeing much 'adjustment' lately.  I guess I'll have to wait for the other shoe to drop and see if S&W starts producing again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#16]
CDNN , has 59 series mags for 18.00.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
CDNN , has 59 series mags for 18.00.  

The only one I see on their website is the LE Demo mag for sale @19.99.  All their other mags are 'preban' prices for the factory SS 15rnd mags.  They have 17rnd Eagle mags for $13 but that scares me for some reason.

ETA: Where did you see that or did you call them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top