Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 9:39:28 PM EDT
I bought a new Glock 9mm 17 round magazine last week. I disassembled then reassembled it. The mag makes a "snapping" or "tinging" sound about midway through loading the magazine, consistently. I don't know what that sound is and it's annoying, but I think the sound is coming from the mag spring and I suspect it's hitting or snapping against the bottom (that's where the sound is loudest from-- I put my ear to it). I disassembled and reassembled the mag a few times, but everytime it still makes that sound when loaded about half way.

Should I be concerned? What is causing the sound? None of my other Glock mags make that sound.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If it functions fine then no, don't worry about it.

Luckily Glock mags are now down around the $13-16 range so even if it doesn't function you can scrap it and buy a new one easily enough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It's annoying though... Do mags usually make that sound?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
To be honest I've never really noticed but then again, I've never paid attention to it while loading mags.  I'm going to hit the range this week so I'll keep an ear out for it but as long as the mag functions during use I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a mag like that 12 years ago that did it everytime.  I never could figure it out, but then again, it never malfunctioned on me, and I stopped caring.  This was a PD gun that was issued to me, and the armorer at the time told me it was not unusual.  Of course, he could have been saying that to get me to shut up.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Solved and fixed it!

I opened the magazine up again and peered up through it at a lamp. I noticed there was a bit of raised, chaffed plastic sticking up about an inch from the bottom of the magazine. Looked like a bit of excess plastic from the molding process. I went to work with a file and a knife and smoothed it out. Reassembled the magazine, and no more "SNAP" anymore!!! The magazine spring must have been getting hung up on that when it was being compressed, and once it got to around round 8 or 9, the spring was forced past it, making the "SNAP."

Thanks, everyone, for the help. It was a minor annoyance but you know how we are about our guns. :)
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that you fixed that, can you figure out a way to keep my G21 mags from having rattling cartridges?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I just shoot them until the rattle goes away.  Then I reload them and they rattle again, so I shoot them dry and reload...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just shoot them until the rattle goes away.  Then I reload them and they rattle again, so I shoot them dry and reload...

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Now that you fixed that, can you figure out a way to keep my G21 mags from having rattling cartridges?

Everyone send your mags to skypirate for tune ups!

I just had a new G30 mag that was making some funky noise when the follower was depressed. I took it apart and found the spring was twisted. The spring was odd in that the coils were wider towards the bottom half of the mag and towards the top half, the coils were wound half the size, almost like two different springs connected. I dont ever remember G30 springs looking like this
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#10]
lol i'm just an amateur-- actually, a Glock newbie (i just purchased my first pistol, my G-17, a couple weeks ago). but you can solve a lot of things with simple trial and error as long as you know how the part works.

with my Glock magazine, the culprit was pretty obvious so a few minutes with a file was all that was needed. but i wouldn't recommend making any serious repairs or modifications to your guns unless your a professional gunsmith.

as for the magazine spring, the coils ARE supposed to be tighter closest to the follower, and then they widen out for the rest of the spring. at least, that's how it is with my mag spring. i don't know why this is how they are designed, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

did you say your spring was twisted?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

did you say your spring was twisted?

When holding the spring in my hand upright, the follower was pointed off to the side. So, when it was compressing, I think the coils were compressing wrong and making noise. A little bending took care of it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, the follower shouldn't point off to the side as far as I can tell. Glad to hear you straightened it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top