Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/28/2005 9:09:57 AM EDT
i had to laugh. one of the supervisors at work carried me out to a jobsite yesterday. we took his personal vehicle.

now, there is a 0 tolerance policy on weapons in the workplace here - not allowed on the job, in the cars in the parking lots, etc.

he's always towed the line on the policies as he should, and we have never had an issue of weapons come up.

he slammed on the brakes when a car pulled out in front of us and BEHOLD!! from out of the dark recesses of under his seat comes his Glock 19, sliding out onto the matt.

he didn't see it and kept driving. i never said a word - bided my time until we were at our destination.

as we started to get out i said "Hey Dave, you might want to put that tupperware back under the seat before someone sees it . Man, you should be ashamed - yes I said ashamed of yourself!"
(a strategic pause)
" I cannot beLIEVE you let that 19 slide out onto that filthy floormat. What were you thinking? Keep that weapon clean, man! Come on!"

talk about flabbergasted. its the first time in probably 5 years i have seen the man speechless.

he turned a little red, pushed it back under the seat and said "remind me to put that in the glove box when we get back in."

nothing more said. he knows my feelings on the policy - its meant more to limit company liability than anything else.

it was just too funny. his secret is safe with me. i saw noooothiiinnng.

now, about that pay raise.............
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:48:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:18:06 PM EDT
Same crap at my work too. Thinking about loading up the trunk anyway. One of the managers has an "HK" and a "P7M8" bumper sticker on his truck. I can just imagine all the sheeple driving behind him going "What do you think that means?" Ahhh...sheeple suck.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:47:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:57:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By machaira:

yet you just posted on a public board?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:04:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

I READ nooothiiiiinnng.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:13:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

heh heh good thing he doesn't know my ArfCom handle!
i had told him about this site, but i don't think he messes with the net much away from work.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:16:38 PM EDT

now, there is a 0 tolerance policy on weapons in the workplace here - not allowed on the job, in the cars in the parking lots, etc.

Now that part is simply BRAVO SIERRA.

How's a poor person supposed to defend themselves going to and from work?

As far as that goes, so who's going to defend you AT work?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:11:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 2:13:29 PM EDT by machaira]
i agree.

its the company mentality in lots of places - they want to avoid lawsuits from victims in the case of someone "going postal" for lack of a better term. (sorry PO personnel!)

the truth is the threat of that is very low. some lawyer has advised them that its more defendable in court if they ban all weapons than to allow anyone the ability to carry, even leaving it in the cars.

complete and utter BS.

another interesting item: one of the supervisors informed us all that in the event of such an occurrance, everyone was to evacuatge the building and GATHER AT THE APPOINTED PLACES PER THE FIRE AND SAFETY POLICY. for a head count, of course, to make sure everyone is accounted for.

i raised my hand in the briefing and stated that was foolish - its just consolidating groups of potential targets.
he looked at me with that "F' off" look and said,"any better plan?"

i said yeah. allow CCW's to carry at will, secure the damn doors (anyone can just walk in) and install a claxton alarm just for such a thing. no other use of it. advise everyone at the same time you give out the fire plan that in case of such an alarm, secure your area or get the heck out of the building. hopefully the police will arrive and secure the area quickly.

i got an "OOOOO-kay. any other suggestions?"
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:43:14 PM EDT
Just as long as you keep yourself prepard...let the sheep hang themselves.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:57:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kpel308:
I'd just get him a car pistol-safe for Christmas, and know that you won't get nailed for the same damned policy.

Weapons-free workplaces make for plenty of potential victims.

+1

The NRA has recently taken up this cause in a couple of states with measured success.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:26:38 PM EDT
I don't have that option.

I have to druive into the PRof NJ from PA every day and NJ is a no CCW state unless you are LEO or politician friend. So I am screwed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:24:56 AM EDT
Talk about times changing, when I was a kid my dad kept a pint and a 45 in his desk. If a customer had a complaint, one of the two would fix it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:00:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FreeAmerican:
Talk about times changing, when I was a kid my dad kept a pint and a 45 in his desk. If a customer had a complaint, one of the two would fix it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:36:31 AM EDT
Up untill a month ago I was working 4 PM to 4 AM. I was the last guy out and had to lock up the building and shut all the "security" gates. All this in a crappy area of town.

When I approched the plant superintendent about keeping my pistol locked in my truck (in a gun safe) he said: "It is stricly against company policy to allow firearms on the work property. Every employee has the right to feel safe at their job." My reply was: "You mean every employee except for me?" He did'nt have a political bullshit answer for that one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:10:46 AM EDT

" I cannot beLIEVE you let that 19 slide out onto that filthy floormat. What were you thinking? Keep that weapon clean, man! Come on!"

Dude, it's a glock. It doesn't need to be clean.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:59:41 PM EDT
yeah - it was more just to jab at him!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:01:43 PM EDT
Some years back our company "bought" a package drug and firearm policy. It included a consultant who came on site and set up everything and gave lectures explaining the policies.

He was explaining the firearms policy, which was 'no guns, no way'! There were a lot of scowling faces in the group and the CEO spoke up and told the consultant that we would change that to allow firearms as long as they were locked in some ones car.

The consultants jaw dropped and he argued briefly then gave up…
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:56:32 PM EDT
f-ing security consultants. The local school district hired one and paid him $50K to tell them to lock the doors and move the benches out of the lobby so people don't congregate. Waste of tax dollars, but it really made me think of changing my career path. I can BS people for a six figure income easy. All i have to do is build an impressive looking resume.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:20:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:
f-ing security consultants. The local school district hired one and paid him $50K to tell them to lock the doors and move the benches out of the lobby so people don't congregate. Waste of tax dollars, but it really made me think of changing my career path. I can BS people for a six figure income easy. All i have to do is build an impressive looking resume.

Ain't that the truth! Just find someone's (or some company's) concerns and stoke 'em up a bit to get 'em thinking. Then give 'em a false sense of security for a false threat.
Top Top