Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has Ameriglo changed their rear sight in the GL-429? The rear sight closest Is what I have on all of my RDS guns but my most recent order came with the further away skinny slanted rear. If they have, anyone know where to buy the older rear sight?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222364/Screenshot_20200718-084528_Gallery_jpg-1508905.JPG
View Quote

@Moses_J
GL404 is the same height as the GL429, but not a taper/slanted design (as pictured from Ameriglo's catalog picture).  Best bet is to call them.
https://ameriglo.com/collections/products/glock-tall-steel-rears
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was a guy who stripped screws all the time. Do yourself a favor and order a set of wiha torx bits and allens while you are at it.
View Quote

Truth

#WihaAllTheThings
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
@Moses_J mine are slanted like that too. Maybe they changed the design
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
im new to the red dot on handguns scene. might be a stupid question, but why are people running aftermarket plates for their MOS rather than using the include plates with the mounting kit you can get from trijicon? is there an advantage?

i just picked up a g19.5 MOS from a trade and looking into getting a RMR very soon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
@Soopreme
Quoted:
im new to the red dot on handguns scene. might be a stupid question, but why are people running aftermarket plates for their MOS rather than using the include plates with the mounting kit you can get from trijicon? is there an advantage?

i just picked up a g19.5 MOS from a trade and looking into getting a RMR very soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is brought up in the first post of this thread.

Quoted:
Has anyone had a problem with the MOS platform?  Screws shearing off? I spoke to a G-rep/tech, who will be nameless.  I ask, "How's the MOS system?"  He looks around (behind us as well) and then comments that they had a lot of issues with the aforementioned problem.  70% success rate in getting the broken screws out without damaging the rest of the slide.  The other, not so much.    The screws hold the mrds to the plate.  There's a gap fore and aft of the mrds.  As the slide recoils, all the stress is put on those two screws, since there is movement to the mrds.  The problem also occurs when you try to remove the mrds.    

Anyone had this issue?  Resolution?  Round count?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@Soopreme

This is brought up in the first post of this thread.

View Quote

yeah i just read through a few more pages. thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Something we've said a few times in this thread, but it bears repeating for those just joining the discussion in the last few days.

The screws are victims of the sight not fully supported, i.e. immobilized and not allowed to move.  That the sight moves back and forth in recoil puts stress on the screws they were not designed and made to handle, so they loosen or shear.  Stronger screws would not be enough, for they'd treat the symptoms, not the cause.

We use alloy steel sight to plate screws rated for 120,000psi.  OPF-G, RMR's design doesn't call for, or indeed, need hardy screws.  The design places the sight on the plate so tight, they can require fitting, but this is the route we chose to go.  The easy and convenient way is to make it loose enough the plates would fit RMR, SRO and H sight, but with a higher chance of them moving on the plate BEFORE they're tightened down via screws, we went with the other (tight) that often results in people calling for support because the +/- 0.010 tolerance, sometimes returning them because they didn't want to mess with it.  Once the sight is able to seat fully, it won't move, and this is what OPF-G, RMR is designed to do.

Most folks have been understanding of the design and worked with us, some are decidedly less happy about having to fit the plate, regardless of the explanation given.

Though done for fun, and this can vary depending on the sight's tolerance, the "tactical DQ test" aptly demonstrates the points made above.  This is without the sight to plate screws installed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Something we've said a few times in this thread, but it bears repeating for those just joining the discussion in the last few days.

The screws are victims of the sight not fully supported, i.e. immobilized and not allowed to move.  That the sight moves back and forth in recoil puts stress on the screws they were not designed and made to handle, so they loosen or shear.  Stronger screws would not be enough, for they'd treat the symptoms, not the cause.

We use alloy steel sight to plate screws rated for 120,000psi.  OPF-G, RMR's design doesn't call for, or indeed, need hardy screws.  The design places the sight on the plate so tight, they can require fitting, but this is the route we chose to go.  The easy and convenient way is to make it loose enough the plates would fit RMR, SRO and H sight, but with a higher chance of them moving on the plate BEFORE they're tightened down via screws, we went with the other (tight) that often results in people calling for support because the +/- 0.010 tolerance, sometimes returning them because they didn't want to mess with it.  Once the sight is able to seat fully, it won't move, and this is what OPF-G, RMR is designed to do.

Most folks have been understanding of the design and worked with us, some are decidedly less happy about having to fit the plate, regardless of the explanation given.

Though done for fun, and this can vary depending on the sight's tolerance, the "tactical DQ test" aptly demonstrates the points made above.  This is without the sight to plate screws installed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/781/91802068_1368403973361328_29845461580780-1512063.JPG
View Quote

Mmm...minty!
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, after reading this entire thread, I’m convinced. Just ordered 2 plates. One for my 19.5MOS and I’ll most likely be picking up a 17.5MOS if I can get my hands on one.

just want to confirm that I won’t be needing the Trijicon sealing kit when using this plate?
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Correct, it’s not needed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Correct, it’s not needed.
View Quote

Perfect. Now I just have to wait another week or so to put this damn RMR on.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, after reading this entire thread, I’m convinced. Just ordered 2 plates. One for my 19.5MOS and I’ll most likely be picking up a 17.5MOS if I can get my hands on one.

just want to confirm that I won’t be needing the Trijicon sealing kit when using this plate?
View Quote

How are orders being placed, every time I check they are out of stock. Are you referring to “seconds?”

Looking to source one plate, thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How are orders being placed, every time I check they are out of stock. Are you referring to “seconds?”

Looking to source one plate, thanks
View Quote

I was going to buy the 2nds but after doing some research I was able to find them instock at other vendors.

I ended up buying them from the link below and used coupon code: BLASTER for 15% off. Says they have 5 left instock.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/forward-controls-design-glock-mos-plates-opf-g-rmr-acro-holosun/

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was going to buy the 2nds but after doing some research I was able to find them instock at other vendors.

I ended up buying them from the link below and used coupon code: BLASTER for 15% off. Says they have 5 left instock.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/forward-controls-design-glock-mos-plates-opf-g-rmr-acro-holosun/

Hope this helps
View Quote

Much appreciated! I made the mistake of assuming they were directly through the manufacturer only.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
We're starting another run next week, will be a short run as we need to catch up on AR/M16 components that have been out of stock for months, but there will be enough to last a month I hope.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Here's hoping I get in on time. I'm still waiting on the gun, but at least I'll have one piece of the puzzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're starting another run next week, will be a short run as we need to catch up on AR/M16 components that have been out of stock for months, but there will be enough to last a month I hope.

Here's hoping I get in on time. I'm still waiting on the gun, but at least I'll have one piece of the puzzle.

@Lancelot
In stock as of 7/23
https://www.rainierarms.com/forward-controls-design-optics-platform-glock-for-rmr-opf-g-rmr/
$64.60
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#19]
So imagine you are an agency armorer, and are about to outfit a 25 person SWAT team, along with a couple of instructors at the agency, with RMR equipped duty guns. I recognize that milled slides is the best way to go, but I’m pretty sure it would be an easier sell to my agency to do a factory MOS gun with a better plate.

In my position, do you think a MOS with the Forward Control plate would the best option?
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:20:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So imagine you are an agency armorer, and are about to outfit a 25 person SWAT team, along with a couple of instructors at the agency, with RMR equipped duty guns. I recognize that milled slides is the best way to go, but I’m pretty sure it would be an easier sell to my agency to do a factory MOS gun with a better plate.

In my position, do you think a MOS with the Forward Control plate would the best option?
View Quote

@Razzman1
Without a doubt.  Logistically, if the guns are in stock along with the plates, it's a no brainer for the bean counters.  Costs, lead times, and warranties come into play.    

Safariland holsters might be the hang up as we found out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Got my plate last night and all I can say is the build quality and fitment is on point. Love it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Latest iteration...

Little brother

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@DOE
What trigger did you use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@DOE
What trigger did you use?

@Lancelot

Overwatch Precision PolyDAT for gen 5.  I've used their original DAT with the aluminum shoe and NP3 finish for gen 4s.  Thought I try the polymer version.
Can't beat it for $52 for the highly polished trigger bar as opposed to the NP3 for $70 (LE/Mil discount applied).  Original DAT is $88, but OOS.  Not a bad trigger as it still has all the safeties in place.  Flat faced and it's benefits.  Makes for a shorter take up than OEM by 1/3.  Not as smooth as the OEM, but I have some rounds thru it (OEM) and the PolyDAT will smooth out further with wear and get only better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Grrrr read this thread, got all amped up about a FCD plate for my 34 MOS, and they are unicorn dust online right now...

Looking foward to picking one up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Rainier Arms might have some, also Big Tex Outdoors.

Another production is under way and a short run should be completed this week or next, then on to nitride.

RE: agency wide adoption, please contact me [email protected], and I will redirect you to a large agency whose armorer can provide independent data and test results, they're not affiliated with FCD.  There are other agencies of course, but I lost count and honestly don't keep track of it, this isn't a score card where we compare our scores.  We provide T&E units to LE agencies that request them, with no strings attached, other than we ask they let us know if it's approved.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Another production is under way and a short run should be completed this week or next, then on to nitride.

RE: agency wide adoption, please contact me [email protected], and I will redirect you to a large agency whose armorer can provide independent data and test results, they're not affiliated with FCD.  There are other agencies of course, but I lost count and honestly don't keep track of it, this isn't a score card where we compare our scores.  We provide T&E units to LE agencies that request them, with no strings attached, other than we ask they let us know if it's approved.
View Quote

Gerbrand defense had some in stock. Thanks for the tips!

Now... when I put the glock MOS plate o frame I used red lok-tite. Used blue lok-tite on the trijicon screws from optic to plate. TBH I was going to get it smoking hot and then disassemble. Any tips on how to get a clean removal?
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#30]
We like VC-3 for the application.  I've heard of stories of screws shearing or stuck on the OEM plate, hopefully that's not in store for you
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Some pics of my 2 FCD plates installed. Huge upgrade over the MOS plates. (SRO was not screwed down yet in the pics, just got so excited when it came in and slapped it on for some pics). The SRO to plate fit was a little tight and required a bit of filing to the front of the plate lugs. Perfect fit now.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Loving the FCD plate on my “19L”..

Great fit, needed to lightly tap the RMR into the plate with a small mallet.

This will be the plate we use as my dept transitions..

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#33]
smitty what magwell base is that? I like that it sits up higher. Thanks. I zoomed a little and saw the agency. I need to find one of those.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
smitty what magwell base is that? I like that it sits up higher. Thanks. I zoomed a little and saw the agency. I need to find one of those.
View Quote

Correct, it’s an Agency.

It’s the only one I could find that would work with the factory “backstraps”.

Seems well made.

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the close up I am going to pick one up. Here is mine.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#36]
are any of you guys running type 1 model RMRs in here? do the type 1's need the sealing plates or will it be fine without issues running just the FC plate?

*ive read there are some issues with the battery not holding on the type 1's*
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#37]
OPF-G, RMR uses the same thickness as Glock's MOS which requires it, so if you need to run it, you can with ours as well.  You'd lose minimal thread engagement, not enough to make any difference. Glock's MOS (and ours by extension) has sufficient thread engagement, no more, and no less.  That the sight isn't allowed to move in recoil means the screws only have one job to do, that is to keep the sight held down on the plate, and they're not subject to the beating it'd take if the sight was moving along the bore under recoil.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OPF-G, RMR uses the same thickness as Glock's MOS which requires it, so if you need to run it, you can with ours as well.  You'd lose minimal thread engagement, not enough to make any difference. Glock's MOS (and ours by extension) has sufficient thread engagement, no more, and no less.  That the sight isn't allowed to move in recoil means the screws only have one job to do, that is to keep the sight held down on the plate, and they're not subject to the beating it'd take if the sight was moving along the bore under recoil.
View Quote

ok thanks, so I guess if there is any issues with the RMR going out it would be due to the RMR itself and have nothing to do with the OPF or the sealing plate.

I did some research and I found that there are people making no flicker plates for the type 1's so Ill probably go that route.

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ok thanks, so I guess if there is any issues with the RMR going out it would be due to the RMR itself and have nothing to do with the OPF or the sealing plate.

I did some research and I found that there are people making no flicker plates for the type 1's so Ill probably go that route.

View Quote

The anti flicker plays simply have a raised portion to keep the battery from shifting up or down.

Before we had anti flicker plates we would double up some electrical tape underneath the battery to keep it in place.

Some tape and a wide plate such as the CHPWS or FCD will do you just fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The anti flicker plays simply have a raised portion to keep the battery from shifting up or down.

Before we had anti flicker plates we would double up some electrical tape underneath the battery to keep it in place.

Some tape and a wide plate such as the CHPWS or FCD will do you just fine.
View Quote

Yeah I read some people said they cut and folded up a business card and stuck it under there without any issues.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah I read some people said they cut and folded up a business card and stuck it under there without any issues.
View Quote

You can also gently bend the contacts and use a cut portion of a rubber band under the battery and the side contact.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You can also gently bend the contacts and use a cut portion of a rubber band under the battery and the side contact.
View Quote

awesome. thanks for the tips guys!
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#43]
@Duffy

What's the status on the next run?  Thanks  
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#44]
In production this week.  Will be another short run, we're doing a round robin on the production schedule, we have to move on to other long out of stock products, but we'll come back to the plates again before long
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Got my third FCD plate and SRO mounted up. This plate was similar to my first in that there was no fitting required yet It is nice and snug. All three SRO have a gap between the plate and their base.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:15:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks Duffy.  Will you still do a Delta Point Pro model down the road?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Got my third FCD plate and SRO mounted up. This plate was similar to my first in that there was no fitting required yet It is nice and snug. All three SRO have a gap between the plate and their base.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96670/FF192A77-FDCE-4D4A-9D2D-D3A5650FCCEE_jpe-1532050.JPG
View Quote

I see a G17.5 FS MOS for you in the future.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#48]
We will
Quoted:
Thanks Duffy.  Will you still do a Delta Point Pro model down the road?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I approved it at ours... Should have got in on the T&E deal lol
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#50]
The August production run started yesterday, we will have to stop in a few days to make the machine available for our other out of stock AR15/M16 items.  The design and steel both conspire to make OPF-G, RMR slow to machine, it's fairly typical of FCD products though.  Simple to look at but pain in the butt to machine, the devil is in the details
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top