Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:40:54 AM EDT
I have a Kahr MK40 Elite 03.  The frame cracked at the bottom rear of the mag well at under 200 rounds in two range sessions.  I emailed Kahr customer service 2 times in the last two weeks and received no response.  I called yesterday and was not able to speak with a human and had to leave a message for callback.  26 hours later, still no call from Kahr.  I called again and only get a recording stating that I need to leave another message and they will call me back.

Anyone else have problems with Kahr customer service?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn. I am thinking about buying a PM9. You still hear people bitching about polymer frames and how they are cheap plastic, not as good as metal, etc. I hear of FAR more frame problems with steel and alloy frames than I do about polymer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't the shot show going on right now?

Steve
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Shot is going on now.  If that is the issue, then all they need to do is say that in the recording when called.  It also doesn't excuse them from ignoring my e-mails over the past two weeks.

Here's a pic of the flaw.  The crack goes all the way through. This may only be a potential problem with guns that have a beveled mag well since some of the material is removed.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The weak spot is that right angle corner, where it concentrates stress.  Caused it to crack.

It's a design flaw.  IMO.  Radius curve it a little and it'll strengthen that spot.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That is too bad about the gun and your experience.

My wife's Kahr had crummy MMC sights that came stripped (tiny adjustment allen type screws).

Kahr sent me any replacement I wanted to questions asked...no shipping...didn't even return the MMC sights.

I just want to throw that out there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Called them again today.  Now there is a message that everyone is at the Shot show.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Called them again today.  Now there is a message that everyone is at the Shot show.

Don't give up. I have read that usually Kahr has outstanding customer service! They will make it right for you!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Contact Dottie at ext. 331.  She will take care of you.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I had to send my Mk40 back.  The slide stop kept getting bumped by the passing cartridges and locked the slide prematurely.  

They fixed that and replaced the recoil spring to a newer version and polished the barrel bushing that was rubbing too.  

I rate their service as excellent.

SoS
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd say keep trying as well. I sent my K9 in for repirs because I wore it out  shooting it and the service I got was first class. While it was there, I had it nickeled (it was originally blue steel) and new sights put on it. Excellent workmanship on it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Still trying to contact them.  I tried at 10:30 am eastern and got the same message...at the SHOT show.  Then I tried Dottie at 11:30am eastern and got a message that she was out of the office and to call back on 2/13
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I had crack in the exact same place on a K40 Covert (steel frame). I contacted Kahr, spoke to Dottie, and they simple asked which Kahr I wanted as a replacement. The K40 Covert has been discontinued a number of years ago. I bought one NIB in Oct of 04 that had been on the dealers shelf for a long time. I sent it back to Kahr in Feb of 05. It took me about 2 to 2.5 weeks to get my replacement.

Mine developed the crack after about 200 rounds just like yours. Kahr will stand behind their product.  I requested a MK40. They replaced it with a MK40 with NS. Another tip if you are are planning on replacing your MK40 Elite 03 with another one, do not return the mags when you send it back. Your replacement will come with 2 new mags. Also If your Mk40 Elite 03 does not have night sites, I would request that your replacement does.

I paid $419 for my K40 Covert, my replacement retails for at least $100 to $150 more, if not more. You paid top dollar for your Elite, I would expect some upgrades on your replacement at no charge.  Make sure your requests are included in the letter that you send when you return your MK40 Elite 03.  Kahr should offer to have it picked up and pay the freight both ways.

Your replacement will need to go through a FFL and you will need to fill out a new from 4473.

Just remember when you get a hold of Dottie, be polite. You will get better service.

Dottie said the crack is caused by a poor heat treating.

Also check out the Kahr Club forum at www.Glocktalk.com. It is under the Gun Related Clubs. It is the most active Kahr Forum I have found.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd say it is caused by what engineers call "stress concentration" at that L in the frame.  

It's due to the sharp corner in the frame where the crack always starts.   If they rounded (filletted) instead of cornering that turn when it was milled, then it wouldn't crack.

Illustration of stress concentration:

Stress Concentration

Kahr should pay me for solving their problem.  Or give me a free MK40.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I finally talked to someone at Kahr today.  No luck contacting Dottie, at 10am on 2/14, there is still the message that she is out of the office until 2/13.  So, I spoke with Brian.  He was very nice and seemingly helpful.  He offered to replace the gun.  There werent any upgrades he could offer me since I already have an Elite 03 with night sights.  I asked about covering the FFL transfer fee, but they wouldnt do that.  They will handle shipping.  

He told me what others have relayed.  They believe that the cause is the heat treating process and that these types of breaks are rare.  Another piece of info I got from him, incase anyone is interested, is that polymer frames can't be used on steel frame guns due to the orientation of the barrel.

They are definately standing behind their product by replacing the gun, but I can't say that I am overjoyed with the experience.   It took me two and a half weeks, two emails, and several phone calls before I could even get the replacement process started.  If all goes well, I'll be out the use of the pistol for about a month and $20 for the transfer fee.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#15]
AZTraveler - Great first post.  Welcome to the board!  What part of NC are you in?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in Charlotte and thanks for the warm welcome.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top