Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2011 3:00:55 PM EDT
I believe in de-MIMing my pistols and have just purchased a new Colt and have another on the way. I did a google search and didn't come up wiht much, is there anyone here who knows exactly which parts are MIM as of this year? From what I have heard it is the sear, disconnector, mag catch, and I believe one more part I can't remember the name of.......
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:27:25 PM EDT
I think it's just the sear and Disco now and neither of those have any issues.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 4:58:07 AM EDT
that Colts have any MIM at all is news to me-
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 2:22:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2011 5:33:18 PM EDT by Falar]
Originally Posted By captain127:

THey have less than most.

Found this:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

2nd post

I guess I just have OCD when it comes to MIM. Sure, this gun works for now but how about after 5,000 rounds?
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 5:38:03 AM EDT
shoot 5k and find out!
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:26:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Falar:

Found this:

2nd post

I guess I just have OCD when it comes to MIM. Sure, this gun works for now but how about after 5,000 rounds?

It'll still work. You just don't find much on Colt MIM parts failing other then the extractors they used for a short time and that was quite a while ago. That was a totally inappropriate use of the process and resulted in parts that failed to hold tension. You still see other manufacturers using the same MIM process for their extractors and you still see the same issues Colt dealt with when they used the process for them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:23:18 PM EDT

Found this:

2nd post

I have over 5000 in two of mine and they work just fine still
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 7:23:59 PM EDT
Mag catch, sear, disconnector.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:36:06 PM EDT
I replace all MIM/plastic parts on my Colt pistols.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:29:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2011 5:29:44 AM EDT by Falar]
Originally Posted By ferretray:

After consideration I will leave the mag catch and lock alone, MIM or not I don't see them failing. I have already ordered Nighthawk sears and disconnectors though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 5:11:33 AM EDT

After consideration I will leave the mag catch and lock alone, MIM or not I don't see them failing. I have already ordered Nighthawk sears and disconnectors though.

I'm sure your mag catch assy. will provide good service. I really like the quality found in the old USGI part. I tend to use Dave Berryhill sear/disconnector/hammer sets.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 2:54:55 PM EDT
Whats the deal with the hatred of MIM parts? I do not own an 1911 yet, but have been seeing alot of posts about MIM parts being bad, breaking, all the good stuff, and I was curious as to why?

Alot of parts are MIM, from piston rods and connectors, pistons themselves, numerous other high heat, high wear parts that last just fine, atleast in other industries.

What makes the MIM method inferior when it comes to pistols? How often do these parts break or degrade?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:37:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By crocodile427:
Whats the deal with the hatred of MIM parts? I do not own an 1911 yet, but have been seeing alot of posts about MIM parts being bad, breaking, all the good stuff, and I was curious as to why?

Alot of parts are MIM, from piston rods and connectors, pistons themselves, numerous other high heat, high wear parts that last just fine, atleast in other industries.

What makes the MIM method inferior when it comes to pistols? How often do these parts break or degrade?

People just need something to bitch about, nothing more to it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:02:48 AM EDT
It depends on your experience really... MIM is a cost savings measure and the spot where a manufacturer cheaps out in my opinion. MIM parts can break. I'd rather have tool steel in my firearms, and for the price I pay, I expect high quality forged parts... not powdered metal pressed into shape and hardened on the exterior.

I've got a Taurus PT1911 with MIM in it and it's a POS. I want to replace it with something that's better... without MIM parts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:18:30 AM EDT
This is interesting to me because I am thinking of purchasing a 1911 in the near future and want to steer clear from MIM parts as much as possible. Colt is one of the manufacturers on my list to look at first. I see terms like tool steel and forged versus cast and am curious which other manufacturers use little to no MIM parts in their 1911s.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:42:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By scorpion12:
It depends on your experience really... MIM is a cost savings measure and the spot where a manufacturer cheaps out in my opinion. MIM parts can break. I'd rather have tool steel in my firearms, and for the price I pay, I expect high quality forged parts... not powdered metal pressed into shape and hardened on the exterior.

I've got a Taurus PT1911 with MIM in it and it's a POS. I want to replace it with something that's better... without MIM parts.

Tarus is notorious for bringing a bad name to the mim word.
Look at S&W and others. Look at powdered metal con rods in performance engines. Mim is here to stay and quality mim products are the reason.
Colt is in my opinion a good place to shop for a 1911 . Three mim points or no.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:26:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2011 3:26:34 AM EDT by Falar]
Originally Posted By ALAN308:
Originally Posted By scorpion12:

Tarus is notorious for bringing a bad name to the mim pistol word.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:47:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:50:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Unicorn:
MIM is tool steel. Just not machined from a block of steel.
MIM may not be as durable in some applications. It's not hardened as deeply so might wear faster. For a grip safety or mag catch it's perfect. For an extractor, a bad choice IMO as it's not a good process for springs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I have no problem with it being used in either of those applications either. Sears/disconnectors/hammers etc though I don't feel comfortable with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:14:29 PM EDT
granted not a colt, but I just had to replace my kimber hammer and sear after 15 years of use. 1k to 5k rounds down range per year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:59:03 AM EDT

I probably won't get many fans with this statement: I actually like the plastic mainspring housing on my CCW 1991 for the few ounces it saves. That's a pretty big chunk of almost solid steel.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:05:50 AM EDT
55k rounds and counting on my Colt mim parts.
Brent
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:41:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BJT72:
Brent

Exactly!! Nice to see you here
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:11:09 PM EDT

The removal of MiM parts from a pistol is a process known as "deschmoeing"

To deschmoe a Colt 1911, you need to remove the disconnector, sear and magazine release assembly. The magazine release is a critical part. I've seen magazine releases that wore and this wear resulted in the magazine sitting too low in the gun. The best magazine release is made by Evolution Gun Works. The part is solid heat treated steel and it is available from Brownells.

I also suggest that you buy a Cylinder and Slide hammer set. This kit features a hammer, disconnector, sear, sear spring and hammer spring. This is probably the very best thing that you can do for your 1911. I have a Cylinder and Slide hammer set in my Norinco and I just love the gun.

Buy one today and don't delay.

Don't be a schmoe.

Fluffy
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 6:17:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FluffyTheCat:

To deschmoe a Colt 1911, you need to remove the disconnector, sear and magazine release assembly. The magazine release is a critical part. I've seen magazine releases that wore and this wear resulted in the magazine sitting too low in the gun. The best magazine release is made by Evolution Gun Works. The part is solid heat treated steel and it is available from Brownells.

I also suggest that you buy a Cylinder and Slide hammer set. This kit features a hammer, disconnector, sear, sear spring and hammer spring. This is probably the very best thing that you can do for your 1911. I have a Cylinder and Slide hammer set in my Norinco and I just love the gun.

Don't be a schmoe.

Fluffy

I'll get around to it someday when my cheapass M1991 ORM actually fails to function.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 1:57:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rod727:
Brent

Exactly!! Nice to see you here

Yes, I wasn't even aware that you had an account here.

Nice to have someone from Colt on board.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 7:34:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2011 7:39:46 AM EDT by ferretray]
Brent

Zilch Point Shit round count on my Colt MIM/plastic parts. They go in the circular file and are replaced with quality metal parts.
Each to their own.
ETA: I know you've been very helpful to folks on the 1911.com forum. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 4:43:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Originally Posted By FluffyTheCat:

Don't be a schmoe.

Fluffy

I'll get around to it someday when my cheapass M1991 ORM actually fails to function.

Thats funny, I also have a cheapass M1991 ORM which has never had a failure of any type. It may very well be the best autopistol I have ever owned.

Link Posted: 10/12/2011 9:48:38 PM EDT
I'm going to have my railgun R&R'd at Nighthawk. Both the slide and frame are going to be fitted and worked on. The rest of the original pistol will be replaced. I'm tired of ill fitted parts, problems and failures. I had hoped to use the railgun as a duty weapon when I bought it. No way in hell, would mine even qualify for that duty. I'm not concerned as to the parts and how they are made so much. I really care if they are expertly fitted and are going to all work together in a reliable package. My Colt has fallen way short and Colt continually makes it worse. Enough of that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 11:18:05 PM EDT
I know that with mim parts your trigger pull is not as smooth as with tool steel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 12:56:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2011 12:57:17 PM EDT by warlord]
I have a S&W 696 44Rem Spl, and I have a MIM hammer and trigger. I have put 2K rounds through the gun and not a hint of problem. Personally I would just leave everything alone until you have a problem because I rather spend my limited time and funds shooting, instead of replacing parts that don't need replacing.

BTW: I believe Colt and other gun makers have a life time warranty on their guns, if you replace their parts with other mfg'rs will the life time warranty be voided?
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:51:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JPD158:
I know that with mim parts your trigger pull is not as smooth as with tool steel.

When I replaced my MIM disconnectors/sears with forged, polished pieces it DID improve the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:48:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FP2000H:
This is interesting to me because I am thinking of purchasing a 1911 in the near future and want to steer clear from MIM parts as much as possible. Colt is one of the manufacturers on my list to look at first. I see terms like tool steel and forged versus cast and am curious which other manufacturers use little to no MIM parts in their 1911s.

Dan adn Wesson as far as I know have none. I went with Colt though. :) Some of the high end 1911s have no MIM parts too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:48:02 PM EDT
My 2007 Wilson CQB has MIM. The grip safety and mainspring housing are. I suspect the sights are also. Not all MIM is bad. Doubt if anyone makes a totally MIM free weapon today.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:46:35 AM EDT
My experience is to replace the extractor for a Cylinder & Slide. The MIM parts do lose tension and that will cause problems. Any future Colt will be a high end custom job from the custom shop or a Nighthawk. I understand that Colt wanted to keep the price point competitive but they just do not hold up.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top