Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2003 4:00:01 PM EDT
Does anybody know why Para-Ordnance is the only company (from what I know)that makes Double Action M1911 sytle semi automatic pistols? Are they alot harder to make in Double Action than Single action in 1911 styling? I was just wondering because I prefer Double Action and I love the styling of a 1911 style semi auto more than any other handgun. I was just wondering because when I become a Police Officer in a few years I want a Double action 40S&W caliber 1911 style pistol to carry when I'm in uniform.
"If you can't treat this like a normal assingment 007... Then 008 can replace you... 008
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
On a gun designed as a single action originally, with all the pieces in place, it takes a lot of engineering to make it SA/DA.
There were also conversions offered through the years but kind of butchered the frame.
For now at least, it looks like the Para is the main game in town.
Colt did make an SA/DA model similar (at least the slide looked original) to the 1911 but it never gained much in market share.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt Double Eagles had their problems (like trigger springs held in by plastic grips) and Seecamp conversions are rare and hard to find.

With some tweeking, the Para LDAs aren't bad, but the quality of their parts or finish hasnt impressed me.

Another option might be the SFS trigger from Cylinder and Slide.  FN thought enough of them to offer them as an option on their Hi-Powers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 1:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 LDAs and reccommend them to anybody (single & staggered mags). My P-14 LDA carries 16 rounds of .45 (ext. mags + 1 in the pipe), & is not some butt ugly polymer pistol that has no safety. Lastly there is NO company with better customer service. They will bend over backwards to make things right for their customers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt resolved the problems with the original Double Eagle pistols and they introduced the Mark II with the changes.  I have one of the Double Eagles in .45cal.  It is accurate, reliable, and since it is a discontinued model, somewhat of a rarity.  It is a nice pistol.

Lawdog
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot a Para LDA single stack in .38 Super duing IDPA SO training.  I was really surprised & pleased.  I'd own one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Colt resolved the problems with the original Double Eagle pistols and they introduced the Mark II with the changes.  I have one of the Double Eagles in .45cal.  It is accurate, reliable, and since it is a discontinued model, somewhat of a rarity.  It is a nice pistol.

Lawdog

Double Eagle Mk II is a fine if somewhat big handgun.  I had a officers model in stainless & after a gunsmith worked on the trigger it was smooooth as buttah in double action.
Better than just about any double action pistol I've ever fired.  One of those guns I regret selling. I never had any problems with that pistol !!
 Hard to find one these days.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Why anyone would want a double action 1911 is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Derek,

Just to say "I own one" is about the best reason.  Kinda different... kinda cool.

I like being different.  Lawdog
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a single stack LDA 45.  It was a great shooter.  very reliable.  the trigger felt kinda like a 2 stage.  I didn't like that you still had to rack the gun to fire the trigger. It wasn't like a true double where you can just squeeze again in the event you had a hard primer or ftf of some kind.  this in my opinion defeated my purpose for the double action.  I would have to agree with Derek because of this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why anyone would want a double action 1911 is beyond me.

How about those that want to carry concealed?

SA is more prone to snagging.

Also there is the "cocked & locked" issue. Sure, there's a slim chance of a "catastrophic event" occuring, but DA eliminates it entirely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top