Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 9:31:36 AM EDT
After more than twenty-five thousand rounds through my Kimber Stainless II my plunger tube has become loose from the frame.Just ordered plunger tube staking tool from brownells, should arrive in about a week.Would it be wise to replace the plunger tube all together or try restaking it first. There is no cracks or other damage to the tube or frame but was thinking maybe I should replace it while it is most of the way out. I contacted Kimber they said they would fix it no charge and pay return shipping on it. They said it would be fixed and shipped within one day of recieving it but I decided to get the tools and try it for myself first.It would be a good thing to have and now how to use if the SHTF and there was no one to fix your stuff.I would appreciate any input.
Sureshot45
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the few...very few...weak points of the design, IMO. The plunger tube must have enough material to hold if it is to stay after being restaked in place. Can't say if yours does or not. Be aware that the safety / mag release spring will probably be kinked when you remove it...it is done that way so it does not just fall out (although I have seen them installed without the kink also) Before you start whacking on the tube, be sure and stick something like a length of welding rod, etc. inside so you don't collapse the tube. Not a difficult operation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Ordered the military plunger tube crimp kit from Brownells, arrived in a day in a half restaked in about 5 seconds.Can't believe the gun shop I talked to said it would take a week cost me $45 if the tube didn't need to be replaced.I glad I was able to do it myself and now I got the tool any how I been planning to build a 1911 just to do it and it is just one less thing I gotta get later.
sureshot45
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#4]
To do this job right, follow these steps.

Pry the old tube off the frame.

Dimple the  buffer leg holes on the inside of the frame with a dremel.(Bigger diameter for the buffer tube legs to seat into)

Install the old tube(If the ends are still sufficient and in good shape) or new one to make sure the legs goes in to the frame deeper than the dimples.

Stake the tube if the legs are further in that the dimples. If not, dremel the dimples deeper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Heres an instructional link for others who may stumble into this thread.

1911 Plunger Tube Replacement

-Nugz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top