Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2010 4:12:47 PM EDT
Kimber Custom Series 1.  Purchased used with a minimal round count.  Appears untinkered with; all factory parts.  Feeds perfectly, but I've had 3 identical malfunctions in 200 rds.  Ejected round jams lengthwise into the barrel hood while feeding the next round.  I checked extractor tension and it looks good.  I have noticed, however that the craptastic MIM firing pin stop is so loose that the extractor can rotate easily (a couple degrees) in the extractor tunnel.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a loose firing pin stop one cause of erratic ejection?

See my post below:
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Kimber Custom Series 1.  Purchased used with a minimal round count.  Appears untinkered with; all factory parts.  Feeds perfectly, but I've had 3 identical malfunctions in 200 rds.  Ejected round jams lengthwise into the barrel hood while feeding the next round.  I checked extractor tension and it looks good.  I have noticed, however that the craptastic MIM firing pin is so loose that the extractor can rotate easily (a couple degrees) in the extractor tunnel.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a loose firing pin stop one cause of erratic ejection?

Yes, it can be. If the extractor is allowed to rotate (Clock) or move with too much play, for and aft, you can see problems. I recommend either fitting a new Wilson bulletproof stop or an EGW square stop. The EGW will require more fitting and it also does not have a radius at the base. Many people, including me, use this part. You will need to evenly break the edge (Slightly round). The Wilson will just require you to fit the sides to achieve a drop in fit. It comes with instructions and is easy.

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
EGW firing pin stops are great!  I highly recommend them.

Hopefully, that will straighten your problems out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks so much for the EGW recommendation.  I actually first bought an Ed Brown "over size" firing pin stop, which wasn't.  Too small to fit properly.  I then purchased the EGW part.  It took more than a hour to fit it to the slide and extractor. The bevel turned out well.  

Test fired yesterday.  Ejection is now strong and consistent.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had the exact same issue with my series one Kimber Gold Combat Stainless. It seems to be a common problem with them for some reason. The gun is top notch otherwise though. I am glad that it all worked out for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top