Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/29/2007 2:41:08 PM EDT
Heard from a very good source within DEA that the DEA is going to go to the M&P40 begining with the next recruit class.

Don't know if it will be optional or manditory or if in-service personnel will be required to transition to the M&P.

If this turns out to be correct you can imagine that the M&P will begin to get picked up by other Fed agencies as they can go ahead and buy off the DEA contract as did the FBI and others with the Glock 22 and the M4's
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:58:15 PM EDT
In before the "profeshunal enuf" comments.

If they've fixed the durability problems I saw, it could be a good general-issue gun.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:20:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glenn_r:
In before the "profeshunal enuf" comments.

If they've fixed the durability problems I saw, it could be a good general-issue gun.

I tested one for my agency before I retired. 15,000 rds and one year of hard use and we found the M&P to be very reliable and durable.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:47:41 PM EDT

What issues did you see?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:51:52 PM EDT
Honest question - for someone such as myself that has no issue with the Glock trigger or grip angle, is there anything the M&P does better?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:59:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 53vortec:
Honest question - for someone such as myself that has no issue with the Glock trigger or grip angle, is there anything the M&P does better?

Adjustable backstraps and less perceived recoil are two things off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:44:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

Adjustable backstraps and less perceived recoil are two things off the top of my head.

Don't forget much better factory sights and a fully-supported chamber.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:26:58 AM EDT
i tested one in .45 for my dept and i think that it might become our new service weapon. the only think i didn't like about it is its lack of a positive trigger reset, but that can be overcome with a little bit of training.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:39:29 PM EDT
I carry the MP.45 on duty and have put my 3 Glock 40s in the safe. So far the only thing that I like about the Glock over the MP is the trigger reset.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:41:47 AM EDT
Lot of departments swithching to them. Good friend of mine is an armory at a local agency. An absolute dyed in the wool Glock-o-phile. Even he has been convinced on the M & P. Know of at least two agencies converting from SIG's to Smith.

I may just have to buy one myself. Only in 9 or 45. Not a fan of the 40.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:06:50 AM EDT

What issues did you see?

These. It was a gun from the first production run. Maybe they've fixed the problems? We went with Glock 22 pistols instead and couldn't be happier.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=24086
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:18:42 PM EDT
The slide stop has been changed to a larger design for quite a while now. Some guns have the walking pin, but that is typically corrected by changing out the pin.

I own 4 M&Ps now and haven't had any problems out of mine. They've been through multiple courses with mine and my agency is doing a transition to them as our duty pistols.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:52:52 PM EDT

What issues did you see?

These. It was a gun from the first production run. Maybe they've fixed the problems? We went with Glock 22 pistols instead and couldn't be happier.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=24086

My feeling on that is that like most guns the M&P had its growing pains and while it still needs a few more years before we can finally put it on par with Glock it has as many if not more positives than Glock.

That doesn't mean Glock sucks , they are one of the finest guns made and I own 8 of them! but the M&P is , in my opinion "special"
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:11:42 PM EDT

Like others have mentioned; the reset on the trigger is faint and takes a bit getting used to. The grip angle on the M&P is 18 degrees which is the same as the 1911. Combined that with the three back straps (small, medium, large) and you should adjust to the M&P in no time. It took me about 3 magazines to adjust from Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:50:18 AM EDT
A gunshop I'm involved with is an LEO ammo and firearms distributor, and the most popular handgun sold has been the M&P in the past year or so. Just recently, there have been departments who traded in 3rd Gen S&W TDA and DAO's, Beretta TDA and DAO's, Sig DA/SA and Glocks for them. I was surprised at the Glock batch, but I figured it was only a matter of time.

If I wasn't temporarily disabled off the PD and could own full cap mags in MA, I'd own 9mm and .40 M&P's right now. But, since I'd have a pistol as good as the M&P but forced to carry castrated 10 round mags, I just stick mostly with my S&W's and Glocks so I can use pre-ban mags with them. When the M&P45 is MA "compliant", I'll own one of those though, since they come with 10 round mags anyway. Until then, it's my G21 with pre-ban mags.
Top Top