Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/27/2007 9:46:05 AM EST
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Walther P99 for a little while and so far, the research that I have done, has given me the impression that the P99/AS ("Anti-Stress" trigger) is the best way to go. I am looking for the trigger operational variant that will give me as close to a traditional DA/SA as possible with the Walther P99 design in that I am looking for an SA pull weight of 4-5 pounds and a DA weight of 9-11 pounds both of which should be smooth and consistent in operation.

So, my question is this: Is the P99/AS the best of the trigger operation variants available on the P99 and are the any other options/variants of operation of the P99 that I should avoid or be aware of in terms of undesirable qualities?

So, What say you?

Thanks,
TK
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 4:02:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/28/2007 4:03:24 AM EST by 580DBF]

Originally Posted By THUNDERKISS:
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Walther P99 for a little while and so far, the research that I have done, has given me the impression that the P99/AS ("Anti-Stress" trigger) is the best way to go. I am looking for the trigger operational variant that will give me as close to a traditional DA/SA as possible with the Walther P99 design in that I am looking for an SA pull weight of 4-5 pounds and a DA weight of 9-11 pounds both of which should be smooth and consistent in operation.

So, my question is this: Is the P99/AS the best of the trigger operation variants available on the P99 and are the any other options/variants of operation of the P99 that I should avoid or be aware of in terms of undesirable qualities?

So, What say you?

Thanks,
TK

The AS trigger is the traditional DA/SA that you are looking for. (I have one ). The other trigger options have thier uses, but I prefer the AS version. The P99 AS does have one feature not found on other DA/SA guns, in that once it is cocked in SA mode, you can pre-set the trigger to remove most of the take up. Handy for the range, but I don't see where this does much for one in combat shooting situations.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 4:50:27 AM EST
Try one out before you buy it. The curve if the trigger really pinches your finger. Mine does anyway, but I have one of the first Interarms imports. Makes me want to sell it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 8:57:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/28/2007 8:58:21 AM EST by THUNDERKISS]

Originally Posted By 580DBF:The AS trigger is the traditional DA/SA that you are looking for. (I have one ). The other trigger options have thier uses, but I prefer the AS version. The P99 AS does have one feature not found on other DA/SA guns, in that once it is cocked in SA mode, you can pre-set the trigger to remove most of the take up. Handy for the range, but I don't see where this does much for one in combat shooting situations.

I think that I know what you are talking about when you refer to the "pre-set" trigger. My understanding is that it removes 'take-up", but does not reduce the initial trigger pull weight. In my reading somewhere (can't remember where, though) the author indicated that doing so required additional manipulation of the pistol too such a point that he encouraged anyone considering buying the pistol to make it their "one and only" CCW piece because it would cause confusion when changing between pistols with different operational characteristics.

While I am not new to firearms by any stretch of the imagination (retired cop, competitive shooter and hunter), is it your opinion that the operating procedures of the P99/AS are overly complicated/intricate to the point of adding unnecessary complexity to the operation of the P99/AS?

Also since you own one, how easily is maintenance and disassembly/reassembly accomplished?

BTW, Thanks for your response.

All the best,

TK
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 9:00:23 AM EST
DeadBaby,

Already held a couple of them and they feel fine in my hand, but I'll do so again prior to purchase if I buy one just to make sure that I don't have any problems with how it feels.

Thanks,

TK
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 1:07:00 PM EST
Thunderkiss,

With respect to:

While I am not new to firearms by any stretch of the imagination (retired cop, competitive shooter and hunter), is it your opinion that the operating procedures of the P99/AS are overly complicated/intricate to the point of adding unnecessary complexity to the operation of the P99/AS?

I don't think so. (I used to work the street, quit for more money, also did a little competitive shooting, and used to hunt, too. I don't do any of them any more, because I'm still making more money, not good enough, and lazy. But it's a small world.)

There are two features of the P99 I consider somewhat unique to the gun. The first is the decocker on the AS versions. It is different than a Sig, or a Smith 5906 (which are different from each other, as far as that goes).

The other is the mag release, which takes a bit of getting used to, but works well. It is the one thing that is radically different from others, and requires practice to get your reloads down pat. This feature seems to be the ones that people make the statement about this being enough to make you use only this gun for carry, or not at all for carry. I think if one mag release or another is going to ball you up in a gunfight, you have bigger problems, but that's JMO.

Your statements about take-up are right on. But you don't have to do the trigger-set to use the SA, it just has an increased travel distance on the trigger relative to the pre-set position if you don't set it. I view the set trigger feature in SA is merely a range function for accurate SA fire. I don't see much use for it in the field, but it only changes the operation of the trigger if you choose to use it.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 1:13:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/28/2007 1:17:16 PM EST by 580DBF]
Thunderkiss,

On the disassembly/assembly.

I don't go beyond the recommended field strip procedures in the manual on anything other than S&W revolvers and 1911's. For the stuff I can't get to, I use various combinations of gunscrubber, compressed air, and CLP.

I could detail strip them if I had to, but unless it's broke, I don't see the need. I haven't broken one yet, so I suppose I'll get there when I get there. The P99's are no worse than a Glock or Sig, though, IMO.

I think Deadbaby is referring to the hump in the trigger guard. If your finger rides low on the trigger, I guess it could pinch you. Some have filed the hump off the older versions. The newer ones (2004 and later) don't have it. At least mine doesn't (P99cAS).
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 6:15:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By 580DBF:
Thunderkiss,

-snip-

I don't think so. (I used to work the street, quit for more money, also did a little competitive shooting, and used to hunt, too. I don't do any of them any more, because I'm still making more money, not good enough, and lazy. But it's a small world.)

-snip-

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it does, a lot.

Looks like there is a P99/AS in my future, but I'll probably refrain from carrying it until I become familiar enough with it to be comfortable with it as a CCW piece.

As for the "what we used to do" my reasons are quite similar to yours in that, it was definitely more money to quit/retire, I never claimed to be great at the competitive thing and I am not, believe me , as for the hunting bit, worse than lazy, as I can often be found asleep in my blind. )

Thank you again and All the best to you and yours in the New Year,

TK

Link Posted: 12/29/2007 2:08:21 AM EST
Your welcome, Thunderkiss, and I'll reciprocate your wishes back for the New Year.

Although I'm not a big fan of polymer-frame guns, I like the P99. I think it's under-rated by many people, but I'm not going on an internet crusade over it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 2:27:07 AM EST

DeadBaby,

Already held a couple of them and they feel fine in my hand, but I'll do so again prior to purchase if I buy one just to make sure that I don't have any problems with how it feels.

Thanks,

TK

Pull the trigger about ten times. you might not like how it plays on your finger.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 2:28:20 AM EST

Thunderkiss,

On the disassembly/assembly.

I don't go beyond the recommended field strip procedures in the manual on anything other than S&W revolvers and 1911's. For the stuff I can't get to, I use various combinations of gunscrubber, compressed air, and CLP.

I could detail strip them if I had to, but unless it's broke, I don't see the need. I haven't broken one yet, so I suppose I'll get there when I get there. The P99's are no worse than a Glock or Sig, though, IMO.

I think Deadbaby is referring to the hump in the trigger guard. If your finger rides low on the trigger, I guess it could pinch you. Some have filed the hump off the older versions. The newer ones (2004 and later) don't have it. At least mine doesn't (P99cAS).

No, I mean the drastic curve of the trigger. I always wondered when somebody would make an aftermarket trigger.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 8:35:49 AM EST
I didn't find the curvature of the trigger to be uncomfortable at all. When I last handled one, I got to play with it extensively (including dry-firing it) for an entire evening (while visiting a friend of mine, it was his), but was unable to fire it at the social gathering. The design itself was new to me then and I was uncertain as to if there were other trigger options available. His was the DAO version.

TK
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 12:49:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By ZedsDeadBaby:

Thunderkiss,

No, I mean the drastic curve of the trigger. I always wondered when somebody would make an aftermarket trigger.

My mistake!
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:18:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/31/2007 10:19:29 PM EST by THUNDERKISS]
Zed,

BTW, thanks for the input. I appreciate it because I was seeking the input from those who actually own and have operated a P99 of any flavor and was looking for both positive and negative feedback. I like to thoroughly research any gun before buying and the negative feedback is great as long as it is honest feedback because it allows me to make a critical and honest decision on the gun under consideration. I kinda look at this forum as my own little "focus group" and it is a great one at that for the fact that I've found such honest feedback (both negative and positive) the majority of the time.

Have you ever detail stripped your P99? If so, and if you own a Glock, is it as user friendly and simple to work on? Any other ergonomic issues with it?

Thanks for your input,

TK

Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:19:31 AM EST

Zed,

BTW, thanks for the input. I appreciate it because I was seeking the input from those who actually own and have operated a P99 of any flavor and was looking for both positive and negative feedback. I like to thoroughly research any gun before buying and the negative feedback is great as long as it is honest feedback because it allows me to make a critical and honest decision on the gun under consideration. I kinda look at this forum as my own little "focus group" and it is a great one at that for the fact that I've found such honest feedback (both negative and positive) the majority of the time.

Have you ever detail stripped your P99? If so, and if you own a Glock, is it as user friendly and simple to work on? Any other ergonomic issues with it?

Thanks for your input,

TK

The ergonomics are great, I just hate the trigger. I shoot all handguns with the first pad of my finger regardless of the action. The curve messes with the bottom of my finger joint and it gets irritating if you spend some time at the range with it.

Don't get me wrong, I like my P99, but the trigger really pisses me off. Its not a safe-action trigger like a glock, its a true DA/SA. Unless you get the SA version.

I haven't detail stripped it, just basic takedown, but it looks simple in design. I just haven't had any reason to take it apart like that. I would like to polish some of the surfaces in there, but its not very necessary. The trigger is great for a striker-fired gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 7:00:15 AM EST
Zed,

Sorry to hear that the trigger is giving you fits. It sucks when your equpiment conspires against you.

Thanks for the additional perspective on the P99, too, it is appreciated.

TK
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 3:24:37 PM EST
I also have a 99AS, LOVE IT!!!!! it is the best handgun I have ever shot, it takes a while to get used to the trigger, if the cun is cocked and you pull the trigger, there is a long but verry easy pull till you reach the SA side of it, it just takes a while to know wher to put your finger at first, the mag release is the best thing since sliced bread, I love it, and the changable backstraps are a nice feature, as for cleaning/dissasembly, the gun will come apart to the point that walther recomends for cleaning purposes in about 2 secounds, very easy. overall I give it a 10. I have approx. 4000-4500 through mine and it has only jammed 2 times, both within the first 50 rounds and both were FTF with federal hydroshock hollowpoints, whitch are notorious for causing feed problems on newer guns because of the wide open mouth. just my $.02
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 11:30:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By dragrcr65:
I also have a 99AS, LOVE IT!!!!! it is the best handgun I have ever shot, it takes a while to get used to the trigger, if the cun is cocked and you pull the trigger, there is a long but verry easy pull till you reach the SA side of it, it just takes a while to know wher to put your finger at first, the mag release is the best thing since sliced bread, I love it, and the changable backstraps are a nice feature, as for cleaning/dissasembly, the gun will come apart to the point that walther recomends for cleaning purposes in about 2 secounds, very easy. overall I give it a 10. I have approx. 4000-4500 through mine and it has only jammed 2 times, both within the first 50 rounds and both were FTF with federal hydroshock hollowpoints, whitch are notorious for causing feed problems on newer guns because of the wide open mouth. just my $.02

Geez, I hate these posts where you can never tell if somebody really likes the gun or not.

In all seriousness though, it sounds like it is a really great gun and I have been pricing and researching deals for a 99AS all over the place since deciding to get one based on the information provided by 580DBF and Zed in prior posts above.

Nice to know that it won't disappoint when I get it, too.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 5:10:32 PM EST
I own a P99, .40 caliber AS and absolutely love it.

Consistantly shoots better than I can. I have shot several 4" groups with this pistol at 25 yards over and over again, shooting 180grain rounds.

Also mine doesn't have the little hump in the trigger, I know the earlier models had one of these finger pinching little bumps.

Plus customer service is second to none, I lost the front sight once (didn't put the little set screw in) and called customer service, they sent me three different front sights (#1, #2 & #6) and a couple of screws to replace. The #1 & #2 sights are hard to find, normally you'll have a #3, #4, & #5.

Absolutely great little gun, it's actually my carry piece; and I can't complain about it at all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 11:29:51 AM EST
I have one and I love it. The ergonomics work great for my hand, function and quality are outstanding. Disassembly is simple and straightforward. The trigger is something that takes some getting used to but with a little work and break in period I have come to really like this piece.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 11:31:40 AM EST
My wife enjoys the sw99 in 45acp. It has been a joy to own. NO Problems. -0-
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 9:26:29 AM EST
I have one of the early S&W imports, before the QA and AS designation were given.

It is the DA/SA and it is my favorite pistol, and my full time carry piece.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:00:40 AM EST
Another vote for the AS. I had the QA and traded it in because of the trigger pull. I use mine as one of my home defense guns. I have a Steamlight M5 light on the rail. I load it with Black Hills 124+ JHP ammo. I would guess the DA pull is about 13-15 lbs but the SA can't be more than 4 or 5 lbs. Field stripping is very simple. You can go from DA to SA by pulling back the slide about 1/4" even with a round in the chamber if you want to leave it in the DA mode. A red dot on the rear of the striker will show just below the rear sights to indicate it is in SA but it does not mean there is a round in the chamber. It takes some practice to pull the slide back just far enough to go from DA to SA without ejecting a round but it is a good option if you up to it. Bottom line there is no safety to mess with if you need it in a hurry
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:38:08 PM EST
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_7991.jpg

The "AS" versions of the P99 & P99c are excellent. This IS traditional DA/SA with the added "AS" available. (Long SA).

Trigger/striker pull according to the factory is 8.8lb DA/4.4lb SA (& "AS").

If you are considering the purchase of the P99/AS for home defense I recommend the full size which offers you a capacity of 15+1 or 16+1 (S&W mags). +p approved.

If you are considering the purchase of the P99c/AS for cc you should be aware of the recently released PPS. Potential cc duty of the P99c/AS and the PPS overlap to a great extent. The P99c/AS has the great DA/SA trigger and higher capacity. (10+1). The PPS has a "Glocklike" trigger/striker, larger sights and is MUCH thinner, which I personally find a big + for cc..

Any of the three are great firearms, and I think you will be pleased with any of them.. Heck, I'm pleased to have ALL of them.hes,
JPomeroy
Top Top