Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 9:46:06 AM EDT
I am looking to buy my first carry pistol and I would like it to be a .45 ACP and have a mag for 10 rounds plus.

I have been looking at some Glocks but don't really care for the lack of safeties. I have looked at Colt, Kimber, Para, and Springfield (XD's). I am haveing a hard time decideing on a Polyamer frame or a classic 1911.

One of my biggest draw backs is the fact I have small hands. Any suggestions are welcome.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The XD would be an excellent choice if you have small hands.

I have pretty small mits and the XD fit me great.  The are releasing a .45 ACP version in January that is supposed to have a grip that is only slighly larger than the 9mm/40 version.  Check out this page for more details.  It's a 13+1 and if my 9mm XD is any indication it will be a tackdriver.

I also carry a Colt Combat Commander, but that doesn't meet your +10 requirement.  

The XD is an EXCELLENT choice.  I sold all of my Glocks (except for the 23 that my wife bought me for our first anniversary) to buy XD's and I have zero regrets.  They just fit my hand and shoot great.  The Glock 21 in an awesome pistol, but you need hands like fucking Paul Bunyan to effectively handle it.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
the sig p220 is 8+1 but you can get factory 10rd mags for it.  those are excellent pistols.

your best bet as far as size and capacity may well be the usp series.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Small hands and 10+ .45ACP don't generally seem to work well together! A standard 5" Govt., or Commander sized 1911 would be just fine 8+1 or 10+1?  Carry a spare mag or two and it's a non-issue.JMO and YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]

You're kidding, right?

The USP .45's are the most oversized pistols that I have ever seen.  If you have smll hands, these pistols will NOT fit.

Do yourself a favor and go to your nearest funshop and check them all out.  If you're like me, the USP 45's are off the list.  

It's a shame, though.  They are great guns . . . I have a friend with one (tactical 45) that swears by it.  It shoots great, but not any better than my XD.  Certainly not $500 more

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok I can say now that I took some time and looked at a few web sites I found a few I like.

Kimber Pro Carry 2.....Just about anything in this area..Pro carry2, Tac Pro 2 and the Pro carry 2 ten 2 and so on

Para......Tac Four 13+1

SpringField XD in .45 ACP.....

My othere Bigger draw back is the safeties...I really don't care for the Glock safety...I would like more or just better..
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 36 with a Plus 1 ext is a fine choice.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
A 10 round mag full of .45 ACP is not going to be a very CCW friendly gun.

Think more along the lines of either a single stack .45 holding between 6 and 8 rounds, or a doublestack 9 or 40.

Glock 19/26/27/36 (Glocks are safe as long as you exercise trigger finger discipline).

Commander size or full-size 1911 (barrels shorter than 4" are not as reliable), such a a procarry, or commander.  The Colt CCO is probably the best of this breed, with a 4 1/4 slide and an officer's frame.

XD
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just from your short post, its obvious you are balancing your round selection against your hand size and number of rounds.  You first need to really do your best to figure out what is more important to you.

I have small hands as well and wouldn't consider moving up to a high cap mag even 9mm until after the introduction of the polymer guns.  All those rounds really mean much if you can't hit what you are aiming at and it takes too long to come back down on target.  To me fit is very important if not the most important feature.

My solution was without going into a heck of a lot of years of trying this and that was taking my time and thinking ahead using 9mm as my round of choice for high caps and .45 for my larger caliber.  The 1911s fit pretty well in most hands since that was part of the original design intent.  Needless to say, I haven't tried the new XD but have the Glock and still prefer the 1911 in .45.  I have two Glocks and one XD in 9mm, different sizes.  

I suggest you really take your time and go to some ranges that rent guns.  Get some hands on before you make up your mind.  The gun may save your life one day so its worth doing it right.
BTW, Just so you know my G26, 9mm gets the most carry time, simply because it conceals well.

Tj

This is part of the plan I was just looking for some informed opinions. I have shot the Glock before and I like it but the draw back was the safeties.  The Kimbers I posted before are all 7 or 8 round clips but one is ten rounds. I have range time comeing up between Christmas and New Years Eve and should be a little more informed on what feels right in my hands and what keeps me on target more for the secound shot (the recoil check).

I know it may take time to find the right carry gun it took me a year of going to the range when I had the time to decide to get two Armalite AR's.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

The USP .45's are the most oversized pistols that I have ever seen.  If you have smll hands, these pistols will NOT fit.

Do yourself a favor and go to your nearest funshop and check them all out.  If you're like me, the USP 45's are off the list.  

It's a shame, though.  They are great guns . . . I have a friend with one (tactical 45) that swears by it.  It shoots great, but not any better than my XD.  Certainly not $500 more

Disconnector

i have small hands too but the usp in .40sw fit me fine.  i was not aware of a significant size difference between that model and one in .45acp.  so if there is a difference i apologize for my error.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]

8+1, WC 10rnd mags as backup

if not, the G30

the XD might be a new, great contender, if it comes out fast enough!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Glocks have three safty's , trigger, drop and fireing pin safty , although you don't see all of them thats a very safe weapon
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
<snip>
I suggest you really take your time and go to some ranges that rent guns.  Get some hands on before you make up your mind.  The gun may save your life one day so its worth doing it right.
<snip>

Tj

That right there is the best advice that can be given. You can look at guns online and in magazines all day long, but it all comes down to how well they fit and work for YOU.

I have *wanted* the following guns, thinking they would fit my needs, only to put the cash back in my pocket once I'd handled them:

H&K USP .45
Glock Anything
FN-FAL
SIG P220/226
CZ-97

On the other hand, while home on R&R I picked up a gun I'd never even considered, and found it fit me perfect- the S&W 1911PD (scandium frame/4 1/4" barrel). I also never though the Beretta 92/96 would fit my hand (I'd read so much about it how huge it is yanno), but handled a few and found them to be quite comfortable. This is the main reason I prefer to buy from local shops rather than trying to save a few bucks having a weapon transferred in (unless I'm already familiar with the weapon).

Put some work into finding what works for you. Renting several pistols is a lot cheaper than buying and later selling them! And like TJ said, it could save your life.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Well , since you're asking about a CARRY pistol, here's some things to think about.

Will you carry everyday , in all kinds of weather , regardless of what activity you're engaged in?
(driving - on the job,grocery shopping , recreational activities.)

How big a pistol can you conceal while wearing your normal everyday clothing?
(suit and tie, jeans, jacket or coat in cold weather)

Will you practice extensively with your carry piece , or do you want an instinctive
"point and pull" gun ? (1911 or other service type vs. a DA auto or revolver)

Do you really need 10+ in the gun , or will you feel secure carrying a reload?

As far as caliber - anything from 9MM up will suffice - as long as you shoot it well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am looking to buy my first carry pistol and I would like it to be a .45 ACP and have a mag for 10 rounds plus.

I have been looking at some Glocks but don't really care for the lack of safeties. I have looked at Colt, Kimber, Para, and Springfield (XD's). I am haveing a hard time decideing on a Polyamer frame or a classic 1911.

One of my biggest draw backs is the fact I have small hands. Any suggestions are welcome.

The gun you listed is going to be a very large and heavy gun!  Carring a large gun means dressing around the gun so you need to consider how you will  conceal it all the times of the year.

I started with a SW40VE gun with 15 rounds but unless it is winter, fall or spring it is not practical for me.  I run hot so having a coat in summer or wearing one in the fall or spring indoors is not an option.  Need to think about when you are indoors vs outdoors.

I then picked up a Kel-tec P32 that I carry all the time in a pocket or IWB.  Then picked up a Smith and Wesson 6946 9mm with 12 rounds in a medium package that I could conceal in IWB or OWB.

So, I have 3 guns I carry depending on time of year.
All are DAO!  No safeties to worry about when you need it fast.

Thinner and shorter barrel guns are easier to carry.  10+ rounds are much easier to do in 9 or 40.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I ended up getting a P2000SK in .40 SA/DA (Version 3). Basically it's a DA/SA version of a Glock, but with more rounded edges.

It's tiny, put I actually shoot it better than my full sized USP.

But even as small as this is, it's still a double stack pistol.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#18]
The .45GAP round was designed for you... .45ACP balistics, but in a 9mm-size pistol. Take a look.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Look into a Wilson combat KZ-45. Its a polymer framed 1911 with either a 10+1 capacity (full sized model) or a 9+1 capacity (compact). I have never handled one but I have heard they are slimmer and lighter than a normal metallic framed 1911, with a higher capacity. Sounds like it meets all your requirements!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#20]
1911s fit just about anybody and the new XD 45ACP looks promising. I would also look at the HK USP45c as well.

Like TJ said, find a range that rents handguns and try as many as you can.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah..

I had a chance today of all days..I had my uncle stop buy to see use and started talking to him but my plan and the guns I was looking at for a carry gun..I had luck on my side today because he has most of the but one and he has more 1911's then he cares to count (FFL Dealer)..So after sweet talking the wife she let us go to his house and pick up a few of the ones I was looking at and brought them back to the house and went out back to do some shooting....And I must say i found about  5 I really like from the Glocks in 40 S&W to the .45 gap (just not the sub compact), I had the chance to fire off some 1911's Colts Deffender, Kimber the Pro carry 2 and Tac Pro 2 were very nice to shoot just not sure on the carry end yet, Para's nice but I would take the Kimber or Colt first.

The 1911's shot great very easy to handle for double taps, the singal stack mags felt great in my hands....The Kimbers felt a little better to shoot then the Colt Deffender but still very nice.

Glock's very nice and snappy felt good but just a little big in my hand but I could work it well.

All  the guns I shot today were dead on shooting nice groups at 15 ad 25 yrds. I did not try pulling from a conceled spot we just shot to get me a feel and I think after talking to you here and with my uncle I will look at Glocks in .45 GAP for a carry gun but I have to say I like the Kimbers more they feel better in the hands and shot great nice small groups.....I am going to keep looking and see if I can find someone or someplace I can take some tranning classes and learn to draw from carry and how and were to carry. I also want to take a long look at the XD .45ACP before i go to much further.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#22]
well if you are going to look at glocks in .45gap you might as well look at the xd in that caliber and not just the xd in .45acp.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Now that sounds like a Thinking mans plan
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
well if you are going to look at glocks in .45gap you might as well look at the xd in that caliber and not just the xd in .45acp.

I did not know there was a .45 gap from SpringField in th XD line I will deffently take a look at it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Hi DarkWolf

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II with the internal extractor and it's been flawless thru 650 rnds.  It carries very well, not too heavy (alloy frame).  It's very accurate and easy to get back on target after a shot. I have owned other 45 ACPs but the Pro Carry is the one I always carry now. If you get a Kimber Pro Carry II, get one with the internal extractor.

I am short waisted so a 5 in gun was too long for my tastes.  I also use Wilson 47D mags and they run flawlessly also.  And the followers don't dig into the feed ramp, a problem with some mags.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Lack of safeties? Glock has 3 safety systems. How many do you need? That is more than most guns
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not know there was a .45 gap from SpringField in th XD line I will deffently take a look at it.

Thanks

also iirc springfield has scaled down the 1911 for the .45gap.  i haven't seen any reviews on it yet though.  so if you like the feel of the 1911 it might be worth a look.

and as far as the safeties on the glock they are all passive in that you can't flip a lever or press a button etc to engage/disengage them.  maybe he wants an active safety.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lack of safeties? Glock has 3 safety systems. How many do you need? That is more than most guns

Sorry I should have  been a little clearer on the Glock safeties.....Yes othere then the trigger safety i would like to see something more like a thumb or grip (dovetail) safety like the XD but I have been getting to know Glocks a little more and have been reassurred that they are very safe and I am looking at the 37 as a very real choice for a carry in .45 GAP.

I am rather new to AR 15's and carry guns so if i say something incorrect forgive me and set me right.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have been looking at some Glocks but don't really care for the lack of safeties.

Glocks have three safeties.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been looking at some Glocks but don't really care for the lack of safeties.

Glocks have three safeties.

None of which keep it from blowing up in your hand.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#31]
If i need to carry a compact or subcompact handgun will haveing it ported or compensated effect how well it performs (will it make a .45 ACP or GAP less then a .45 in how it performs).
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I would look at the Taurus PT145 or PT745. The 145 is (10+1 doublestack) the 745 is (6+1 singlestack) and might be better for smaller hands because of the narrow grip. I carry a PT145 maybe half the time and am happy with it. I own 4 Taurus handguns and all have been a good experience. You cannot beat the price for the quality either, so far I have a PT92@$300, a PT945@$325, a PT145@$279, and a PT111@$279. All have been very reliable and after a few thousand rounds through the above mentioned I have yet to have any kind of failure to mention, not one blip regardless of whatever kind of cheap reload or expensive round I have fed them. Check them out  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top