Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 5:45:25 PM EDT
So i have a Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact 9mm. Definitely the most comfortable gun i've ever held, and the SA trigger isn't bad.

Wanted something more reliable though, so i bought a Springfield EMP. Wonderful gun, fits my hand pretty well, maybe a touch too big. Thumb can't reach the mag release without letting go, for one.

Is there any gun that combines a good trigger feel like a 1911 based gun, with a smaller frame? Have really liked Sigs, but tried a 226, and the grip was huge. Considered a 228/9, but i don't like the DA/SA thing (the Taurus 24/7 Pro has an SA trigger unless you get a FTF, only then it goes DA, very neat), unless it's like my Taurus. Even then the trigger feel isn't great on it. Just not accurate either, even for a 7 yard gun.

Tried the ParaOrd Hawg 9, great feel to it, but the grip was way too long. Couldn't keep my hand around it to reach the trigger.

So is there a higher cap 9mm gun that's like the EMP, maybe a longer barell too?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Try an M&P 9mm?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
you say 1911 and 9mm.  how about a browning high power?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The Browning Hi-Power has a very good trigger. I also love the trigger on my CZ 75B. The M&P9 with the DCAEK and competition firing spring is the best for striker-fired handguns.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Will try to feel out those suggestions if i can make it to the range tomorrow. Thanks all. :)

If it can fit my hand, the M&P9 Pro looks nice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Will try to feel out those suggestions if i can make it to the range tomorrow. Thanks all. :)

How small are your hands?   It seems like if the EMP a small, single stack, 9mm is to big for them, that a full size double stack like the M&P would be far to big.  Some of the thin 9mm pistols like a kahr p9 or the walther pps might fit.  A revolver might also be a better choice for your hand size.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#7]
How about a Sig 239?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger SR9

Its slim like a 1911, angle like one, 17 +1 thumb safty where the 1911 is.

I own a couple 1911's and like the feel of the SR9
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How small are your hands?   It seems like if the EMP a small, single stack, 9mm is to big for them, that a full size double stack like the M&P would be far to big.  Some of the thin 9mm pistols like a kahr p9 or the walther pps might fit.  A revolver might also be a better choice for your hand size.

The Kahr p9 was a pretty nice fit, honestly, i almost bought that instead of the Taurus, but it was really unergonomic, it had that brick feeling in my hand. Unfortunate, that was the gun i was most excited about at the time.

And yeah, pretty small hands. :/
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#10]
just go out and try all you can.  its probably the easiest since there isnt a way to do it from a board.

i find that i cant operate most mag relase buttons as on the 1911s, but that doesnt stop me from enjoying them.  same for my CZs and my other guns.

about the only guns that have the controls in the right spots are my 22s.

btw, look at the HK P30 and the S&W/Walther style levers.  they come close, but imo are akward.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a thought....Use your trigger finger to release the mag.... A lot of the new guns are ambidextrous or allow you to switch the mag button to the other side.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as I know the best full sized 9mm on the market is the HK P30L.  

Glock 17 and S&W MP 9 are also excellent choices.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Glock 17 and S&W MP 9 are also excellent choices.

The thread isn't "name your favorite full size pistols."

If either of them are the size of the Glock 17, they're not even close to fitting my hand.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got an M&P 9 Pro and put the small backstrap on it. I think it's quite comfy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Dude, how damn small are your hands?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:53:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#17]
hk p30 fits me better than any gun except a 1911
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#18]
also,

how do you know you are holding the gun correctly?  sometimes, you need to go with what fits your hand and is in the correct placement.

if you have a hard time finding something that fits right, you may have to settle for the next best.

also, if i try to shoot my DA/SA guns from the DA mode, its not the best position for my finger.   after the first shot, its all SA anyway.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
you say 1911 and 9mm.  how about a browning high power?

^ What he said. Without the magazine disconnect (easily removed if one has it), the HP trigger is marvelous. Fits the hand much like the 1911, albeit a little smaller.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Give the Sig P6 (P225) a try. Slim single stack grip, great SA trigger.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Tried the M&P Pro 9 today, and it actually fit my hands! Gotta do more looking, but this might be my next handgun! Thank you!

Went there REALLY hoping the SIG P229 would fit, but no way, huge.

Have heard all H&K's have huge grips, so i didn't even look for the P30L...

And no single stack, if i wanted that, i already have:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2zoi6ts.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/10rjtdt.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/312a2s7.jpg
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So i have a Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact 9mm. Definitely the most comfortable gun i've ever held, and the SA trigger isn't bad.

Wanted something more reliable though, so i bought a Springfield EMP. Wonderful gun, fits my hand pretty well, maybe a touch too big. Thumb can't reach the mag release without letting go, for one.

Is there any gun that combines a good trigger feel like a 1911 based gun, with a smaller frame? Have really liked Sigs, but tried a 226, and the grip was huge. Considered a 228/9, but i don't like the DA/SA thing (the Taurus 24/7 Pro has an SA trigger unless you get a FTF, only then it goes DA, very neat), unless it's like my Taurus. Even then the trigger feel isn't great on it. Just not accurate either, even for a 7 yard gun.

Tried the ParaOrd Hawg 9, great feel to it, but the grip was way too long. Couldn't keep my hand around it to reach the trigger.

So is there a higher cap 9mm gun that's like the EMP, maybe a longer barell too?

Thank you.

If you haven't had any reliability problems with your 24/7 PRO why get rid of it?

Edit:  If your dead set on something else and you have hands like the guy on the Burger King commercial  I'd have to 2nd (or 3rd?) the High Power.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanted something more reliable though....

If you haven't had any reliability problems with your 24/7 PRO why get rid of it?

Lol, please re-read the first part...

Did have reliablity problems, that's why it's my desk gun now. Didn't get rid of it, hoping that some work to it might fix things.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Look the CZ-75b and the clones like the Baby Eagle and EAA Witness Elite
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tried the M&P Pro 9 today, and it actually fit my hands! Gotta do more looking, but this might be my next handgun! Thank you!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zoi6ts.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/10rjtdt.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/312a2s7.jpg
Nice! Try some barracade for the handgrip screws.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanted something more reliable though....

Lol, please re-read the first part...

Did have reliablity problems, that's why it's my desk gun now. Didn't get rid of it, hoping that some work to it might fix things.

Sorry, I thought you might have just been anticipating a failure since it was a Taurus.    

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice! Try some barracade for the handgrip screws.

Yeah, i'll want to get some new screws, but Scottsdale Gun Club installed the Hogue grip for free as well as gave me the screws for free... pretty nice. :) Also knocked off half my safedy, since my elbow was unsafing it in the IWB carry i use. Thank you. :)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry, I thought you might have just been anticipating a failure since it was a Taurus.    

It feels so great in my hand, and it's small, has an awesome technology trigger... it would seem to be just about everything i'd want in a carry gun, but i can't "bet my trigger finger on it" as it were. Ist there any place that custom does things to Taurii? :/
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It feels so great in my hand, and it's small, has an awesome technology trigger... it would seem to be just about everything i'd want in a carry gun, but i can't "bet my trigger finger on it" as it were. Ist there any place that custom does things to Taurii? :/

Send it back.  Most likely they can fix whatevers wrong with it.  Might give you a little more piece of mind for the desk gun at the very least.  Possibly search a/the Taurus forum for someone who does custom work?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The HK USP has large grips. The P30 does not. Plus the mag release is different. You don't have to worry about reaching the mag release with your thumb.  But there's nothing wrong with the M&P.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#31]
The P30's grips were too large, tried it. The M&P Pro 9 is nice, went to try shooting it but they didn't have a pro version to try at SGC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top