Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2010 7:55:27 AM EDT
I'm looking for a pistol that can live (hidden & relatively secure) in my SUV. I'm a neat freak when it comes to gun cleanliness and finish, so I'm looking for something that is either cheap enough or already worn enough that I don't give crap. Think of it as a truck BUG, for those occasions when I can't carry or don't want to leave a nice carry gun in the car.

Parameters are 9mm, must be reliable, and able to withstand high heat in a car.

I currently have a Sig P6 that sort of fits the bill, but I'm still trying to work out reliability issues with JHP. It has been flawless with FMJ.

Then yesterday I saw two HK USP's at the gun show. One was a USP 9mm Compact DAO for $459. The other was a USP 9mm fullsize with the regular SA/DA arrangement for $485. Both were police trade in's that looked to be well used but mechanically sound.

Then I got to thinking that I could buy a new Glock 17 for the price of the beater USP. I already have a mint G17, but I just can't bring myself to letting it get all jacked up.

So, what would you get for a beater truck BUG?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally don't like the idea of "truck guns"

If someone steals your vehicle, you just armed someone who just stole your truck

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Glock.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Sig 556 pistol or Remington 870....im still deciding
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock 19 or 17 with a handfull of 33 round mags. The zombies won't know what hit em'.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Glock 19/23/32/30SF whatever your fav caliber.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#6]
If you already have the P6 use it or if you want to invest money get a used Glock both are good choices in my opinion.

In regards to the P6 you can get the feed ramp polished and this should solve the issue with the JHP's

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep a P6 in my truck and never had a problem. I polished the feed ramps and shoot Gold Dots in it, runs like a top.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If someone steals your vehicle, you just armed someone who just stole your truck

YMMV

Lock box ;)

I armed the asshole that broke into my truck with a second hand Keltec P11 that had tight chamber issues.

I was wishing I got the hipoint instead.

Now I have a concealed lock box.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Look into a second hand G22 or something close, I picked up a police trade in G22 with night sights and three leo marked mags for $350 a while back.

Great truck/beater gun IMO
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, IMO a truck gun should be some sort of long gun, not a handgun as that should be on your side in a holster. Of the guns you listed I would go with the glock, I have a P6 that I like a lot and has been 100% reliable but reliable mags are hard to find, to me taking it out of the serious side arm catagory.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go with a Glock.  Though I want to figure out a way to keep my AR in my truck rather than in my safe where it does me no good
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would go with a Glock.  Though I want to figure out a way to keep my AR in my truck rather than in my safe where it does me no good

I used to keep an AR-7 in a BoB and a M-44 in a synth stock with a box of ammo in a soft case. I used to travel a very large, rural territory for work in a POV, we went to company vehicles and I am much closer to home, no more need for a trunk gun for me.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, IMO a truck gun should be some sort of long gun, not a handgun as that should be on your side in a holster. Of the guns you listed I would go with the glock, I have a P6 that I like a lot and has been 100% reliable but reliable mags are hard to find, to me taking it out of the serious side arm catagory.

Yeah some people need a SD/Utility Pistol for their vehicle, Pistol works best sometimes and it's easy to toss in the glove box or console.

When out in the boonies I like to stuff a pistol between my seat and my console.

My current truck gun is a S&W Model 10 Police, it's great gun.

It may be replaced with my G22 soon, but I have not decided.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson third generation stainless police trade ins are available sub $400. Proven though under rated design at a modest cost. Same can be said for 1st and 2nd generation Glocks

SGB, why does one of us always bring up the 3rd gen S&W's?  

Anyway, OP, of the choices you've given us, I'd go with a used Glock.  Why put an expensive USP in there?  However, as SGB mentioned, A third generation S&W, particularly the 5906 if you want 9mm, would be a great truck gun.  AIM Surplus has apparently but 1 left in stock for $329.  Buds and Summit Gun Broker also occasionally have 3rd gens floating around.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson third generation stainless police trade ins are available sub $400. Proven though under rated design at a modest cost. Same can be said for 1st and 2nd generation Glocks

SGB, why does one of us always bring up the 3rd gen S&W's?  

Anyway, OP, of the choices you've given us, I'd go with a used Glock.  Why put an expensive USP in there?  However, as SGB mentioned, A third generation S&W, particularly the 5906 if you want 9mm, would be a great truck gun.  AIM Surplus has apparently but 1 left in stock for $329.  Buds and Summit Gun Broker also occasionally have 3rd gens floating around.

+1 3rd Gens are great
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Used Glock.  Inexpensive, already ugly, absurdly durable, supremely reliable and very, very rust and corrosion resistant.  

And best of all, no emotional attachment.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#18]
dont forget about the ruger p series...
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Glock cause they are inexpensive and everywhere and you won't cry when it gets stolen out of your vehicle or the police take it away after you defend yourself.  Mags are cheap as well.  The other choices are fine just more money is involved and as a guy on a budget I wouldn't cry as much losing a Glock.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Truck gun should be a rifle. A pistol should be on you already.

I have a FAL with 14" barrel in my truck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

YMMV

agree.  for this reason i never leave my truck out over night, and take care to avoid areas of town as much as possible where my truck might be more likely to fall prey to theft.  when i do leave it out over night (like say at my gfs condo), i pull it and take it inside.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an old Glock squirreled away in my ride.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Used Glock.  Inexpensive, already ugly, absurdly durable, supremely reliable and very, very rust and corrosion resistant.  

+1

I think 3rdpig nails it here.

I'll have to admit  that I've had a pistol stolen from my car some years ago and it was well hidden and secured (or so I thought).

After that incident  I just don't leave anything  of value  in my vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...a truck gun should be some sort of long gun, not a handgun as that should be on your side in a holster...

agreed, but since we're talking handguns, i vote Glock
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

dont forget about the ruger p series...

buds has the p95 for 299 right now.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Sigma or a used .38 revolver. I would not leave an expensive quality firearm in my vehicle just a reliable one. That being said test what ever you choose before you trust it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#27]
my g20 (10mm) has been living in my truck for the better part of two years now, no worse for the wear.

i hear the little sister to the g20 the g19 is a pretty good 9mm,.

also the punk that stole your ride probably has their own gun so i tend to worry about my needs more than theirs just sayin....

and long guns loaded in vehicles here in ohio will get you in deep do-do
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Cheap and reliable? Nothing sounds better then a Ruger P-series.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Sig P6  (5)  4.4%
HK USP Compact DAO  (3)  2.6%
HK USP full size SA/DA   (5)  4.4%
New (or used) Glock   (90)  78.9%
Other   (11)  9.6%
The choice is clear.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I keep a P6 in my truck and never had a problem. I polished the feed ramps and shoot Gold Dots in it, runs like a top.

I bought one for my girlfriend and had Todd at Customized Creationz cut and polish the feed ramp, it feeds 124gr Gold Dots like butter. My little sister's P6 barrel should be back from CC tomorrow. I have no doubt it will feed the same.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

YMMV

i left a beater tokarev in my truck as a truck gun.  surprise surprise, earlier this year, someone broke into my truck in my driveway and stole my tokarev.    i thought i wouldn't be disappointed, but i sure was...guns will never be left in my vehicles
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]
On the way home from the range today I dropped by a local gun store. They had 3 HK USPc 45's that were police trade-in's. Night sights (old & probably dead), and one magazine for $449. Lots of holster wear, but the one I picked out looked as if it had been shot very little. Also grabbed a second mag in like new condition for $19.95. Standard DA/SA trigger.

I'll pick it up on the 15th, clean it up and give it a try.

I suppose I could have picked up a Glock for the same price...but I liked the idea of an external safety considering the pistol's intended use.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi-Point
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Glock all the way man...the "AKM" of pistols!

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Given those choices, a police trade in G21 or G19 would be a top contender for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson third generation stainless police trade ins are available sub $400. Proven though under rated design at a modest cost.

He's right again.  It's inescapable.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sig P6  (5)  4.4%
HK USP Compact DAO  (3)  2.6%
HK USP full size SA/DA   (5)  4.4%
New (or used) Glock   (90)  78.9%
Other   (11)  9.6%
The choice is clear.

Just because something won a vote doesn't make it the best choice.  See President Obama
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep, the BIC lighter of handguns.  

SIGs of that vintage have a reputation for rusting if not kept up with.   HK USP would be OK; they seem to hold up to neglect in a comparable manner to the Glock and since it's a "truck gun", the huge-ass size isn't much of an issue.  I've seen a few used ones for around $400, but mags are going to be comparatively pricey.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a Glocks for ccw and truck guns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just because something won a vote doesn't make it the best choice.  See President Obama
Yes but asking it here is asking people who give a shit in as mush as they seek out facts and make informed decisions based on those facts.   An informed decision, and Obama's election, are mutually exclusive events.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Given those choices, a police trade in G21 or G19 would be a top contender for me.

this
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#43]
That "mint" G17 isn't pretty until it's beat to hell...just sayin
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I agree... find some beat up old glock 9mm that you do not care about.  A glock will run even if you rarely pull it out and lube it up, it will go bang every time, 9mm so you can get some 33 round big stick mags to go with it, and if something happens to it, it is only an old beater glock.

My oldest G17 lives in the console of my truck with a couple of big stick mags and an old G2 LED light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top