Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 8:31:17 PM EDT
In a previous thread I was asking about a good IWB for my main piece.  But, I came to the conclusion that shirt & tie would not sit well with an IWB so I'm thinking on a pocket carry.  I've read a couple of threads around here and was wondering a few things.

For some reason, I seem to want it to be a revolver.  I manhandled a couple of compact semi's...I think they were both Kahrs and didn't like the way they pointed.  I did handle a small Taurus of some sort and did like it, much more than the semis.  So... on to the questions.

What the hell is the difference between .38 Special +P and .38 S&W Special +P ?  It's on S&W's site as to their revolvers that shoot .357/.38 S&W.  I've never heard of it, what's the difference in the two?  I've always just heard .357/.38.

Someone mentioned for pocket carry to get smooth grips.  Is this for draw reasons?  I ask because the rubber grips on the Taurus felt real good and I figured it would help my grip in controlling recoil vs. something smooth.

My main piece is a 9mm (don't nag).  Should I be looking at a 9mm compact for any reason other than same ammo?  Or should I be looking at any compact?

I'm 6' and vary between 180 and 200lbs depending on the time of year (damn holidays ).  Oh and I don't even carry yet.....  My paperwork is in now, should be two months.  But I figure I'll be having this argument with myself anyway so might as well get it started and possibly solved.  Again this will primarily be a 'dress carry' piece where an IWB is not practical, a 'just going around the corner' type piece where gearing up for the day isn't really needed or as a BuG in an ankle holster or again in the pocket.

What I've come to think I like are the S&W 42x series and the Taurus 85x series with the concealed/spurless or internal hammer depending.  Taurus seems okay from what I've read and I like the slightly cheaper price but then S&W revolvers are (from what I hear) tops.  And that's if I do go wheelgun...

So?  Edumecate me.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
All the .38's are the same round, with the +P's being higher velocity rounds.  The S&W revolvers have nice triggers out of the box,  Ruger is inexpensive and tough, Taurus I've heard mixed reviews about longevity.  The revolver guru's will key you in on the different models (although I like the Ruger sp101). HTH
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
For carry in a pocket, the best IMO are the various Airweight and lighter (AirLite Ti & Scandium "SC") S&W concealed hammer revolvers. While I have and constantly carry a 340PD, I cannot say that these guns are really worth the cost, which is substantially higher than that of the Airweights like the excellent 642 / 442 series pistols. There is, in fact, a ".38 S&W" cartridge which was derveloped years before the much more popular .38 Special, but no one that I know of chambers new guns for the .38 S&W anymore. (No, you cannot use the shorter, less powerful S&W in the Special chamber...too wide to fit)

I would go for the S&W 642...the factory is having a sale of some kind on them now as well and advertising that fact in many of the gun rags...$399 I believe. Load it with either a 158gr SWCLHP+P like the WW # X38SPD (note that this is an all lead bullet) or if you can find any, the very newest CCI 135gr. +P Gold Dot load...they may not even have it cataloged yet, but it is an excellent round. You won't need a magnum in a light pocket gun, the +P HPs will do just fine if you do your part. They are mostly for "close combat in a phone booth" situations anyway, and for me, are mostly used as a second gun...but I have, due to circumstances, carried only the little revolver at times.

The Ruger 101 is an extremely tough handgun, but it is neither small nor light enough for MY pockets...don't know about yours. I have heard many good things about the Taurus guns as well as some bad. My thoughts are that if it looks like and shoots like an S&W for only a few dollars less, then I will spend the extra $$$ and get the real thing since it is MY life on the line!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
IWB can still be done under the shirt and with a quick tug you can draw. Pocket carry is NOT comfortable or very practical not to mention slow. Same for ankle carry. At best the are all the SAME speed. If you think you need to quick draw then dress better but IWB is the most secure and safe way to carry CCW. Also you might try a belly band.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Pocket carry can indeed be comfortable, and fast. (I, for instance, have a Smith 442 in my right front pocket right now. I always have my right hand in my pocket, which people think is me being casual easy-going me. They don't know I have my hands around the grip of a handgun that I can pull and use very quickly....Advantage me...)

It depends on the clothes you wear, and how the pockets of the pants are made. I wear 5.11 pants most of the time, and they are made for pocket carry. I can do the same in Levi's jeans.

The truth is that you will need to try several different methods to see which one fits you best. With a good pocket holster, pocket carry is doable. Just be sure to wear dark pants, as it cuts down on printing.

The G26 is also a decent deep cover gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually most people probably think you are masterbating. Playing Pocket Pool, spanking the one eyed Gilla monster.

And to think I got all excited that I got another reply.     heh.

The pants I'm talking about are suit pants or casual dress pants.  If I'm in jeans then 90% of the time I'll be having an untucked loose shirt on.

The G26 is an interesting suggestion.  What I guess I need is to spend an afternoon with an appropriate pair of pants for sizing and a very very very patient gunshop, trying some of these out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually most people probably think you are masterbating. Playing Pocket Pool, spanking the one eyed Gilla monster.

The pants I'm talking about are suit pants or casual dress pants.  If I'm in jeans then 90% of the time I'll be having an untucked loose shirt on.

The G26 is an interesting suggestion.  What I guess I need is to spend an afternoon with an appropriate pair of pants for sizing and a very very very patient gunshop, trying some of these out.

Exactly. Before you plunk down serious bank on a weapon, you have a right to be comfortable with it. Kahr's PM9 and P9 look like they might be OK, but they have had some mag problems. The Smith J frame is the safest bet out there.

But the G26 is very compact and actually will fit nice in larger pockets with a decent holster.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been caryying a G26 for about  a year now and it fits the right front pocket fine on Dockers or similar casual pants. When I'm in jeans, it goes IWB with a loose shirt over it. I also carry it in my BOB at work. The company has a major problem with CCW in the workplace. I work in a secure LAN room so it goes in my bottom desk drawer when I'm in the office.  Prior to teh G26, I carried a S&W 640 for about 5 years. Still have it, still love it but the G26 carries twice the rounds with similar knock down punch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm suprised by a few of the replies saying the G26 is no problem to conceal in the pocket.  

I have a G27 (same size gun in .40) and its my main IWB firearm.  I have tried to figure out a way to carry it in my pockets, but there is no way!  Part of the problem may be that I wear pants with 31" waist.. the pockets aren't very big.  In jeans, the G27 won't even fit in the front pocket.  In dress pants / dockers it looks like I'm carrying a BRICK in my pocket...  a GUN SHAPED BRICK. It's especially noticable when sitting.  Also, the glock is pretty heavy for a pocket gun.  21.5 oz empty. ~26 oz loaded!

So, my pocket carry gun is a s&w 642.  17oz loaded is much better! The rounded lines of the revolver, and the thin profile make it MUCH easier to conceal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had a G26 since they first came out, and for the life of me I don't understand how anyone calls that a pocket pistol.

My pocket pistols are a Keltec P32 and an NAA .22mag (hey, it's a revolver).  I guess it depends on how friendly you are with the buffet, but I can't fit my G26 or a J-frame in my pocket.  I'm 6'-1" 175 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've had a G26 since they first came out, and for the life of me I don't understand how anyone calls that a pocket pistol.

My pocket pistols are a Keltec P32 and an NAA .22mag (hey, it's a revolver).  I guess it depends on how friendly you are with the buffet, but I can't fit my G26 or a J-frame in my pocket.  I'm 6'-1" 175 lbs.

Well there's your problem you little bean-pole bastard.....

Buy bigger pants.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't want to be a part of any of your sick, twisted fantasies...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The 38 Spl. +P is a higher pressure loading of the std. 38 spl. I personally favor the S&W 940, a 9mm Centennial that uses moon clips to headspace the rimless round. Very fast, very slick, very powerful. Well, compared to some of the similar sized guns out there. It's no longer in production, and I'd like to see S&W offer the same gun as an Airweight. Wishful thinking, I suppose...

Bob
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The 38 Spl. +P is a higher pressure loading of the std. 38 spl. I personally favor the S&W 940, a 9mm Centennial that uses moon clips to headspace the rimless round. Very fast, very slick, very powerful. Well, compared to some of the similar sized guns out there. It's no longer in production, and I'd like to see S&W offer the same gun as an Airweight. Wishful thinking, I suppose...

Bob

Good luck. I have looked for one of the 9mm revolvers for a while, but no luck. I actually prefer the half moon clips to big speed loaders....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Bob

Taurus still makes the 905 revolver in 9mm. It's not a S&W, but it is another option.

and the new 905I-B1 is a slightly smaller version.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
The idea with the shrouded hammer revolver is you can fire from inside the pocket should the need arise, without worrying that fabric will hang up a hammer or slide.  Just don't shoot your dick off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top