Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 4:26:44 PM EDT
What is the bottom line on these.  Anyone have one?  Have any stories about them?  Are there any advantages other than a larger sight radius.  Sure they look great, but if I'm gonna pay the extra bills, I'd like to know if I get a little extra accuracy/anything with those looks.  Any info would be much appreciated.

If this turns out not to be for me, I am looking at the Full-Size Black Stainless.  The only thing is, it says it's a little lighter.  I'm hoping that doesn't mean it's an aluminum frame.  At the top of the Full Size page, it just says that both steel and aluminum frames are used, it doesn't say which are alum. and which are steel.  Anything on this would be appreciate as well.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Long slides are a PITA for holsters, etc. Unless you're shooting bullseye matches or perhaps shiloutte matches, I'd pass.

As for which frame is used, steel or aluminum, it should be easy to tell by looking at the total weight listed for the gun.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The ported V-16 is very smooth to shoot. Less muzzle flip.

Field stripping a Longslide is a pain in the butt.

I have one chambered for .45 Super, but they don't offer those at this time. Too bad, cause I think it is great fun to pop a few off from time to time.

No more acurate than a fullsize, but a nice change of pace if you already have a fullsize or two.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they tend to be more muzzle heavy or are they still well balanced?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
A bit muzzle heavy.

It may vary a little from model to model. Mine has slide cuts and barrel ports that remove a little material from the front end, and the old style blocky grip frame, which adds a bit of weight to the back. The blocky grip is not a plus. I keep thinking one day I will have a smith change that. An extended magwell, which I don't have, would also add more weight to the backend.

I was reading earlier this week that the new production Longslides are shipped with two recoil springs, one for .45 ACP and one for .45 Super. They can shoot .45 Super even though it is not stated thusly on their website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top