Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 11:31:59 AM EDT
I am sure I missed some article on this, but is it ok to leave my mags fully loaded for my new Glock?

Or does that cause issues with the spring in the mag?

Just bought my first Glock 17 today, VERY excited!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll be fine. The loading and unloading is what wears springs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You will find some people say that rotating or loading and unloading them ruins the springs and other say just the opposite, that leaving them loaded forever will ruin them. I personally rotate my mags and disassemble them to totaly relieve any pressure on the springs. I have done this for years on all of my mags and have never had any problem. Doing this also gives you a chance to inspect and clean the mags.

Here is a good article about the subject.Linky
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That link says do not keep them loaded all the time. Well, my carry 23 mag stays full all the time durring the week. My 32 that i leave at home for my wife stays loaded as well. I unload one of them durring the week end since we are together al weekend and only I carry. So, how long should a mag last with this routine? That article also says leave Glock mags one round short do to seating the mag will be hard. I have always fully loaded mine and they seat fine.

Now I have a sepperate question about Glock mags. I bought my 23 in 2006. it came with 13 round mags. Now I just got my 32 this year and the mags that came with it say restricted to law enforcement and Govt only. Whay is this? Can I carry with these legally? I also noticed that the followers on my 23 mags are different from each other. They are different shapes. Why would this be if I bought the pistol brand new?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same three glock 40 cal mags since 2001 for my duty 22.  Its been a little over seven years and the mags have been loaded all that time.  Only time they get unloaded is at the range when ammo is going down range.  Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks! Sounds like you would know. thanks for the straight forward answer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a G30(just sold it) that I rotated my mags every couple of months for around 10 years so that would be roughly 60 lengthy compression/rest cycles on top of trips to the shooting range. I completely disassemble my empty mags. I never had any problems doing that, I also always load all my mags to full capacity and never had any problems with seating a full mag or getting that last round in. When I got rid of the G30 I got a 17 and 19 and do the same cycle with them and from the start never had a problem filling the mags to capacity. They are tight at first but they will break in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the replys. It seems the consensus is loaded is ok. But keep an eye on mag maintenance.

Thanks again to all who added their thoughts.

Unique1
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
They are made to be loaded, and thats the way I keep them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Leave them loaded.  ALL of mine are loaded, all the time.  I get out, shoot, come back home, clean 'em if they really need it, and load 'em all back up.

Never a problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, mine are loaded.  When I go to the range, I empty out the carry ammo from my "extra" mags into a large Ziplok freezer bag.  Then, I put range ammo in all but the mag in my carry pistol and the spare and then unload those when I get there.  Reverse the process before leaving the range.  The Glock may be "dirty", but it still functions.  Just clean it when I get home.  =-]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top