Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 1:19:46 AM EDT
Well I took my new used Llama IX-B .45 to the range for the first time. I went to Walmart and stocked up on 2 100 round boxes of Winchester. After shooting my AR,AK and my Mauser I went to the pistol side of the range.

I kind of had a feeling that something would go wrong with this thing. I was right. It failed to fire. Every round that I chambered did not have a scratch on the primer. After the range guy looked at it and tried firing it he asked if I had bought it from them. I informed him I did.

He then instructed me to take it inside and have the smith look at it. After talking with a young man who looked like he did not know what was going on I finaly made him to understand my problem.

The "Smith" came out to the range area with my "Gun" and tried firing it. It did not work. He and his "Assistant" then started to make jokes about my crappy pistol. They did not know that the owner of the pistol was standing right behind them watching or they did not care.

One of the jokes I can remember was "Well its not a Kimber". I was hurt and embarrassed for my pistol. After a few more tries and jokes they took it back inside and I followed.

They guy at the desk then filled out a work order and told me what the problem was. he said the saftey mechanism was broke and would not let the weapon fire as a result. They are ordering a part needed to fix the problem at no cost to me .

I am unsure if I will be brave enough to bring the weapon back to test it myself after they fix it. I cannot wait until tax time so I can buy either a Kimber or a Springfield. I did not like the feeling of being the range weenie.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Guys are always going to have better guns than you do, no matter how much you spend or what you buy.  So you will always be the brunt of someones jokes, that's just life. That being said you do desirve better than a Llamma.

Yea I agree with that. I am literally working my way towards something better. Thanks for your response.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't let the bastards get you down!

Learn to shoot well and you'll be able to shut up 90% of the high-price shit talkers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Learn to shoot well and you'll be able to shut up 90% of the high-price shit talkers.

I'm trying bro. I did get mad though when the cease fire was over and everyone started firing but I was just going click. I then stomped to the car and retrieved my G-17 and 100 rounds of 9mm and came back hopping mad.

Needless to say there is one less paper target walking this free earth.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Don't sweat it! A little work and even an ugly gun can get to be pretty and work well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
My first 1911 (style) was a Llama, and it worked pretty well, with a few FTEs. After about 4 months, I traded it in and with some extra cash, I got my next 1911. Right now I'm looking at adding another to my ever growing family of 1911 clones... maybe a Springer is next? Or maybe a Kimber. I'm not sure, I'll have to wait and see how much money I have left over after I buy the wife a 15th anniversary present.  She wants a diamond, I want a .45 with diamond walnut grips! lol lol

I still have my Llama 1911 style .380 from the early 90s. It is a fun pistol and has never (knock on wood) had any problems. I am always on the look out for a reasonably priced Colt Mustang .380.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's the way to do it!!! I like to ask them how much they paid for their "real" guns while I show them my targets then laugh when they answer.  $250.00 nib and about 4 hours labor got me a real nice running Firestorm. Only thing I would change is to add tritium sights...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
My first two hand guns were a Lorcin .380 and a Raven .25auto. Who cares if some snob that has more money to spend than you makes fun of your pistol. Shrug the jerk off. Lamas are not the best but there are plenty of good pistols out there that are not 1911s or Glocks or SIGs. I would trade the Lama in when you have some more money once they fix it. My Lorcin had probably 2 failures a mag however my Raven did go bang no problem but it was still a hunk of junk. LOL. Upgrades come in time be patient and enjoy shooting what ever you can afford.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
UNIT6639: Don't let those guys get you down. Everybody gots a few problems straight from the factory, even the Kimbers, Colts etc  I bet there is probably a burr or something that is hanging up the firing pin.  Have you field stripped it and looked to see if there is any anomolies such as burrs or borken part(s)?   I would contact the importer about your problem and send it back to have it repaired.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I still have my Llama 1911 style .380 from the early 90s. It is a fun pistol and has never (knock on wood) had any problems. I am always on the look out for a reasonably priced Colt Mustang .380.

www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/pix/mustang1.jpg

I am hijacking this post a bit:
Those Colt Mustangs are really easy shooting guns.  They are one of the few 380s that have a locked breach with the familiar locking lugs on the bottom of the slide and top of the barrel holding the barrel and slide together before unlocking when pressures drop versus the straight blow back design where only a recoil spring does the job.  The straight blow-back locking systems has a real sharp recoil, ie ouch! whereas the Mustagn's recoil is spread out over a longer time, giving an impression of gentler recoil.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/pix/mustang1.jpg

I am hijacking this post a bit:
Those Colt Mustangs are really easy shooting guns.  They are one of the few 380s that have a locked breach with the familiar locking lugs on the bottom of the slide and top of the barrel holding the barrel and slide together before unlocking when pressures drop versus the straight blow back design where only a recoil spring does the job.  The straight blow-back locking systems has a real sharp recoil, ie ouch! whereas the Mustagn's recoil is spread out over a longer time, giving an impression of gentler recoil. Just curious what do you consider "reasonably priced Mustang?"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Well its been 3 weeks and no word back from the shop yet about my lovely Llama. I assume they are either having trouble finding the replacement part or have not yet recieved it.

I will give them a call this morning and see what the deal is. I am kind of annoyed that they have not called and given me any info on my gun as to when it may be repaired.

Oh well, if I am lucky it will be finished soon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Let me tell ya Unit...I feel your pain.  I guess it's safe to come out of the closet and admit that my first 1911 was (gulp) an Auto Ordnance ZG-51.  Be thankful your smith is working on yours at all, I cannot find a smith up here to even look at mine - so yes, there are 1911 connoissieurs and there are 1911 snobs who look at you like a french sommelier when you just ordered a bottle of Boone's Farm.  The up side is, I have learned a lot about 1911 pistols from having to read and work on it myself.

They say that living well is the best revenge...I like shooting well is the best revenge.  There is nothing more fun than going to the range, seeing someone with a $2000+ gun in his (or her) hand who is punching holes everywhere but the K zone, taking the lane next to them, pulling the well worn (which admittedly didn't take long to achieve) AO out of the bag, and putting 7 in the X ring...just to make sure you still can.  Always makes them take a step back and look over and gives you the chance to smile and use that "oh, this old thing" line.

That said, its not my carry piece (rattles more than if I wore spurs), but my primary and back ups both cost less than a $1000.  To a (certain) degree, its not what you carry, but what you spend hours training on that will move you out of the "range weenie" status.

Still would like to hear how that thing shoots when, well..., when it can shoot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Just got off the phone with the shop who is "Supposed" to be fixing my gun. The guy on the phone told me they have not got to it yet. I bought the gun from them so they are fixing it for free. does this put me at the bottom of the list after the paying customers.

I certainly do not class myself as a range weenie. I do have other better weapons that all fire when the trigger is pulled. This is the first weapon I ever owned that would not fire.

I cannot believe they bought a used weapon and then sold it to someone without checking to see if it even worked when they have a range onsite.

I am starting to get leery about buying anything else from this shop. The only other weapon I bought from them was a curio Mauser and it worked fine after I put a new Wolf spring in it. But it did fire when I bought it.

How long should I wait before acting a fool.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I think some here are missing the point. These guys were not "range snobs". They were range employees. Employees of the range that sold this guy a (used) gun that did not fire! Then they make him wait to get it fixed?  (No, I don't expect them to crap the parts....). A refund is in order. Pure and simple. They sold you something that would not perform it's inrtended purpose. They should buy it back. And you should let them!

I hope it was really inexpensive, but whatever money you spent on it, get it back and put into savings. Add to it as you can. In a short while, you will have enough for what you really want, a real 1911. You've got a Glock, that'll get you through untill you can buy.

You can get a basic Sprinfield Armory 1911 for around (under?) $400. A 1911 A1 Loaded (lots of goodies, including night sights, extended ambi safety and beavertail grip safety~like mine ) for a bit over $600.

Bypass the A-hole stocking dealer, find a good deal, get a local FFL to do a transfer (my last, found in hometown forum, charged me $15 for transfer of my SA Loaded) and put your money where it'll do YOU some good. Then, buy ammo through the internet or at Wally World, and show up at the range with everything you need. Spend only on their range fees, and give them back some of their own attitude! (sorry to rant here, but these guys sound like punks, and unless they were the only range in the area, I doubt I'd even give them that business!).

Rant off.
T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks TBONEDETROIT for your response. After sitting here thinking about it that is exactly what I want to do, return it. I will wait a little longer then just go down there and ask is it ready, if not I will ask for a refund, save up another $200 to $230 and get a SA.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah.  I would call them and say either its fixed by a certain date or you want a refund.  They did screw up.  I agree with Tbone.  They sold you something that didnt work.  

Dont let it get you down.  Trust me.  I know how something like that can screw up a day at the range.  I have had various problems with 1911's and AR's that have left me pretty bummed out after a range. Most of the time it was something simple and stupid I did.  Once I forgot to put locktite on the rear sight on my Springfield after doing some work on it.

Look at it this way. They can say whatever they like.  They've probably had an inexpensive gun at some point.  Be glad it was inexpensive and not something like $1000 pistol.  Boy wouldn't you be mad if this was happening and you dropped all that cash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top