Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:14:01 AM EDT
I have a series 80 Lightweight Commander, factory stainless (they made a run of 500 in '95). I would like to know if/how I could mate a shorter slide/barrel combo to this, ala Kimber ultra carry-? -I think Colt made a few of these type pistols called the 'recon'. Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
cool- that's what I was thinking- slide, barrel, guide rod and all?  where can i pick up a top end, without paying as much as I would for a whole gun-any suggestions there/ Thanks! ROn
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There are many options to choose from for a replacement slide.  Caspian makes some good ones.  You may have to have it fitted to your frame.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
cool- that's what I was thinking- slide, barrel, guide rod and all?  where can i pick up a top end, without paying as much as I would for a whole gun-any suggestions there/ Thanks! ROn

You have several options.  The best, but least likely, is that you check the various forums that might have 1911 parts, place a WTB ad, and see what happens.  If you're lucky you'll find someone selling a top end.  I would expect to pay at least $200 for a Colt top end.  

You can check with the various pistolsmiths around the country who specialize in taking Officer's frames and putting Commander top ends on them, like C.T. Brian.  You might get lucky there, but I doubt it.

If you want to stay with a quality top end, like Colt, Caspian, etc., you will pay a lot.  Through Brownells, I priced a stainless top end using a Colt slide, barrel, barrel bushing, recoil spring guide, recoil spring plug, firing pin stop, and a Brownells SS extractor.  Retail was $724.51, and wholesale was $580.39, and this does not even account for sights.  Try getting this stuff through Colt for less than $900.00.  You can buy a whole used Officers ACP for this.

You can go with after market slides, barrels, and the like, but the price will be close to the same.  If you do not get wholesale, forget it.

Finally, you can go with a low quality top end, like an Essex slide, and save quite a bit.  However, barrels are expansive no matter how you look at it, and ou're still looking at around $400 after it's all sadi and done at retail.  Plus you will have to scavenge parts from your Commander slide, like the rear sight, the extractor, FP, etc.

What it really boils down to is that you need to buy another gun.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Hobbs is right, just buy another gun. If you have a Colt you won't want a crap slide. So if you get something decent you're probably looking at $350 minimum for the barrel and slide. Fitting will probably cost a little something, and then you'll start looking at the half a gun you have sitting around and wind up getting a frame anyway. It'll likely be the same money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top