Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 7:18:56 PM EDT
So, I've been carrying for about 15 years either iwb or owb with a kydex holster. I really prefer the kydex owb down here in Florida.

My question is, does a pancake leather holster kinda fall outwards with the weight of the pistol? Kydex is rigid and doesn't really lean out at all. I have been looking at a high noon sky high with a thumb snap for either my p2000sk or my P290rs. They just look like the belt loops would pull in towards the center and let the gun fall outward.

Just wondering if anyone has experience carrying smaller handguns in a pancake and how well you can pull it into your body for good retention and cover.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about that holster, but I've found that good quality leather pancake holsters conceal better and are more comfortable than kydex OWB holsters.

I recommend the Alessi CQC-S. Love it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually carry a smaller gun (Shield) in a leather pancake and its nice and tight. Matter of fact, I tried a Raven and a Bravo Concealment and neither one would hold the grip tight because there was little too no barrel under the belt to help push the grip in. Leather is the only OWB I can do with a gun that small.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I do notice the grip doesn't pull tight with the kydex. It's about a half inch off my side no matter how tight I pull it. Good point!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
If you look at any pancake holster from a quality dealer you might find yourself asking, "Why don't they just put the belt slots lower to raise the pistol higher, for better concealment?"  The answer is that the higher the ride, the more it will want to flop out, especially during any vigorous activity.  Trust that they know what they're doing.

One advantage of a good quality pancake holster over kydex is that the leather back sort of becomes an expansion of the belt- so a good gun belt with a leather holster will 'stick' to your side better and distribute the weight better, while kydex tends to slip.  I find that my Don Hume pancake holster makes the heavy S&W 1076 feel lighter (for lack of a better term) than guns that weigh much less in a kydex holster.  I don't need to honk down on the belt to keep it in place because it spreads the weight over a larger area.

I recently picked up a Tucker HF-1 for my Sig P320 in .357, as well a double mag holster.  I then returned for a single mag holster as well.  I LOVE this holster!  While I was waiting for the holster, about six weeks, I bought a Bladetech Eclipse which is really nice, but not nearly as nice as the Tucker.  

Do go cheap on your leather- it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
MS: That's a fine looking holster! I went ahead and ordered a High noon leather holster and belt to try it out.

I've always wondered why no one made a flap that pulls the gun over like that to hold the gun in tight. Looks like it pulls in super tight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top