Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2003 9:47:39 AM EDT
I would like to learn a bit about gunsmithing.  My main desire to learn is to be more familiar with aspects concerning safety.  Not safety as in the mechanical devices, but safety regarding issues such as operation (like headspace, etc...) that one should be familiar with when assembling or purchasing guns from others (not bought new from factory).  Of course, looking for both pistol and rifle information.

Are there classes that you can attend for such info, books, etc..?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If you look in a Brownell's catalog, at the back of the "yellow pages" (index), there is a list of gunsmithing schools and a professional association directory.

That may or may not be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Good info is always helpful!  I'll give it a look.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The best gunsmiths come from a machinist background (tool and die makers). I would take some basic machine tool classes before any gunsmithing classes. Check at your local community college for those. I attended gunsmithing classes at Yavapai College in Prescott Arizona in '92-'93.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The best gunsmiths come from a machinist background (tool and die makers). I would take some basic machine tool classes before any gunsmithing classes. Check at your local community college for those. I attended gunsmithing classes at Yavapai College in Prescott Arizona in '92-'93.

I may have mis-stated my goal, or may not fully understand what gunsmithing entails.  I'm basically looking to gain knowledge in the function of various types of guns, both rifle and pistol.  Main reason for wanting to know is  primairly to know what safety checks need to be made on a gun of "unknown" origin (from a friend of a friend, etc...) before taking it out for that first shot.  Headspace was the first item that came to mind as an example.  Would also like to know things like how to gauge throat erosion, barrel wear, etc, etc...  

I'm not setting out to actually make any modifications or build anything (as I don't have the tools, access, or space), but basically check out before buying or just looking.

Sorry if I'm not making sense.  It may just be a case of having to learn various little items rather than actual "gunsmithing".

Again, thanks for your help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top